Author Topic: Armored Opservation post from a shipping container?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Armored Opservation post from a shipping container?
« on: March 11, 2019, 02:26:40 AM »
I have been toying with the idea for some days now. How about making an armored OP by cutting down and rewelding a shipping container?

One cuts a full length container in half.
Puts the half with the door below and the solid end one on top
Cuts out panel sections from the top half at mid height. these will be the observation openings.
Re-attaches the panels on the inside using 3-4 inch spacers.
Fills the space with concrete.

The idea takes advantage of the containers being strong around the shell, so concrete weight goes almost on top of the wall beneath.

How about it?

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Armored Opservation post from a shipping container?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
You might find it easier to fashion a tower out of concrete pipe and building a top for it that would protect from above and provide observation ports.  I am not sure how high they would go I suspect that they would not stack well the couplings I have seen on those (flared ends) do not allow for much overlap so strength to side load (wind) might be an issue.  They would make a great pill box if you had ground that aided in your observation.  A watch tower would attract a LOT of attention no matter what it was made of so something that gave some OPSEC to it would be needed. 

I have thought of this for a permanent "deer stand" if and when I get hunting property.  Oops I can see the driveway and road. If buried it would see some climate control as well.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Armored Opservation post from a shipping container?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
 The thing is that an OS cannot /should not be concealed even time.  I.e in gated communities where elevation is offering an advantage.
And the subject matter is... Where applicable is such an approach  doable in technical terms?