Author Topic: question for parents of babies and toddlers  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Flyerman

• Prepper
question for parents of babies and toddlers
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
being one myself, how do you prepare for babies and todlers and small children. i'm talking about things like diapers that they grow out of very fast, diaper rash lotion,regular lotion, baby versions o fmedicines like ibuprofen and such, pull-ups, and all the other wonderful things that come with raising a baby into a man or woman. it is useless to go out and buy a palletfull of diapers or anything that they will surely outgrow, so how do you plan for it all?  i have a few ideas myself, but i just wanted to know how any of you preppers do it, if you already have a plan of action in place

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
Re: question for parents of babies and toddlers
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4123.0

There is a ton of great information on this thread.  It is in the Lady Survivor pages, but it is ok if guys look over there every now and then :)  I have little ones myself and it can be scary to consider worst case scenarios with little ones in mind.

Check out the thread and if you have more questions, post them up!!

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
Diapers--several cloth diapers have snaps that allow you to adjust the size.  I think the ones I used to use were called mother-ease.  As for disposables, you can calculate how many a day they use now, and figure they will use less as they get older and start to potty train.  It's always hard to figure exactly how fast they will grow, but my kids always stayed in the 3s and 4s for awhile.  Err on the side of larger, because you can always use a bit of masking tape to make them fit more closely to the body if you have to.

Lotions/shower gels/soaps-- hard soap I think pretty much lasts forever.  I used to sell lotions/gels and we were told that the preservatives in those keep them good for two years, so stock away!

Medicines-just check the exp date.  It's always a guessing game, but figure a bit more in winter.

Clothes/shoes- Of course, save stuff in decent condition for the younger siblings.  replace buttons, patch holes, etc.  Make old stuff new with fabric paint, ribbons, changing out buttons.  Buy stuff out of season- get winter coats at the end of March, sandals in August, etc.  Also there are consignment shops and consignment sales.

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
We have toddler kit in our BOBs but we also have a toddler BOB!

Its a small green rucksack which contains all the basic stuff, plus a couple of small toys.  When we go out on trips, we get my son to pack it in the car so he gets used to carrying stuff from a young age.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »
Oh, and a good carrier.

When Katrina happened, my dh and I both said we'd have taken the little kids, strapped them to our bags, and just walk out if we had to.  I recommend the ergo carrier  http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/carrier/.  You can use it front and back.  They even have an adaptation so you can carry a newborn.  Just this morning I was carrying a sick and clingy toddler while going about the day.