Author Topic: THE 48 LAWS OF POWER: "GREY MAN" PRINCIPLES  (Read 6901 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
THE 48 LAWS OF POWER: "GREY MAN" PRINCIPLES
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »
THE 48 LAWS OF POWER; Robert Greene

I would put the contents of this thread straight into the "Grey Man" tool box.

Artful manipulations and consolidations of power are always in play.

EVERYONE deals with politics and intrigue on some level whether you recognize or not.

No matter your profession or lifestyle. The specter of this part of the human condition haunts us all.

If you are not familiar with content Robert Greene’s book(s), now’s the time to get acquainted.

As a "Grey Man", ALWAYS BE LOOKING FOR LEVERAGE AND ADVANTAGE and where they are in operation in your own life…

swanson

http://www.amazon.com/48-Laws-Power-Robert-Greene/dp/0140280197

http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/cg/Courses/cgt411/covey/48_laws_of_power.htm

The 48 Laws of Power

by Robert Greene and Joost Elffers

Law 1

Never Outshine the Master

Always make those above you feel comfortably superior...

***edited by TexDaddy, in accordance with DMCA rules and regulations***
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:18:51 PM by TexDaddy »

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: THE 48 LAWS OF POWER: "GREY MAN" PRINCIPLES
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »
Law 24

Play the Perfect Courtier

The perfect courtier thrives in a world where everything revolves around power and political dexterity...

***edited by TexDaddy, in accordance with DMCA rules and regulations***
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:19:35 PM by TexDaddy »

SueDonim

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »
These may be laws for gaining power.  And I suppose they are good to be aware of for defensive purposes.  Things to watch out for in other people.

But this kind of non-sense is all to prevalent in the world today.

The people that play these kinds of games often do rise to positions of power.  They also are the same people that wrecked the financial system.  These are the people that sometimes make huge bonuses.  They worry about style over substance, and sucking up to TPTB instead of doing a good job.  And if they are lucky, they bail before their bank fails.  They usually end up in an ugly divorce too. 

I would not want to be that person.  I would rather deal with people honestly and fairly in all I do.  If that lessens my career, so be it.  At least I have my integrity and my reputation.

Not sure how you were pushing these.  If it's things to look out for, great.  But if you are pushing these as great ideas to emulate, then stick it in your machiavelli
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:25:00 AM by SueDonim »

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
SueDonim,

"Not sure how you were pushing these.  If it's things to look out for, great.  But if you are pushing these as great ideas to emulate, then stick it in your machiavelli" - SueDonim

I assert that the principles outlined above are a HUGE part of the game at play in our society and cultural operating system as a whole and that to ignore any of the 48 listed is at your own risk.

For the "Grey Man", I believe it is important to always be evaluating your position on the chess board and managing your risks ethically.

Objectively, the 48 Laws of Power are certainly nefarious and manipulative, but provide one with some naked truths to examine and apply as one might see fit, or to guard against in their own circumstances.

It's not a matter of me actively promoting (pushing) these notions, it's a matter of always knowing they are in play. I am always cheering for the good guys, but will never disregard the tactics, techniques, and procedures my enemies or competitors may use.

The 48 laws are a loaded gun. Act responsibly, be forthright, and protect your interests. Survival demands it...

SueDonim

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
Agree with your reply.  With that clarification, I totally agree.

Sorry if I got my dander up.  I've dealt with too many people that follow these rules.  Not pleasant to say the least.

Cheers

Earth Monk

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »
Let us not forget the 2 Rules of the Viking Grey Man...

#1 - What is valuable is mine.

#2 - What is burning is yours.

Cheers,
-Ras

John Q Public

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 04:21:20 PM »
Now THOSE are 2 rules I can live by! +1