Author Topic: Survival Themed Christmas Gifts  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
Survival Themed Christmas Gifts
« on: November 22, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
Just wanted to share with ya'll what my family has done for holidays. When buying or asking for birthday or Christmas gifts, think survival related items. My niece gets silver Eagles from her grandparents on holidays. My nephews always get me some ammo for gifts. My favorite items to give are firearms, weather alert radios, dehydrated food, camping gear, silver coins, and the like. Just a note about the weather alert radios, it is beyond my imagination that any household would be without one of these devices. Not only do they wake you up in the event of natural disaster, they are also to be used in the event of a national emergency (ie nuclear attack). I always shake my head when I watch the news and some poor sap has lost a family member because a flood or tornado came up in the middle of the night and they had no warning. Course they are probably the same people who do not change the battery in their smoke detector. BTW I always give 9 volt batteries at Christmas to everyone so that the smoke detectors of all my family stay in working order. Gifting survival related books ("Sense of Survival" is one of my personal favorites) is fun as well. Anyways use your imagination, don't waste your money on crap, give the people you love some real life insurance. 

Earth Monk

Re: Survival Themed Christmas Gifts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:09:52 AM »
Good one Taylor! +1

I am prone to give quality pocketknives and an easy sharpener as gifts. One of my favorite cheap/durable knives for this is the Gerber Gator. I have also been know to give the Benchmade Griptillian. There are just so many great, practical uses of a quality blade, not to mention self protection.

-Ras

Offline CSNeoM4A1

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »
I tried to get my family to go with the idea of drawing names for gifts for Christmas so you only buy 1 gift for one person, so you can make it a very nice and expensive one.  That didn't fly because some people want to give gifts to everyone.  With the size of my family that would have been the only way to give someone a firearm or another expensive gift.

Anyone have more ideas on what to give as gifts that are smaller, like $15-$20 range?

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:07:56 AM »
"Anyone have more ideas on what to give as gifts that are smaller, like $15-$20 range?"

Silver Eagles are a good choice for people who are not really "into" the survival mindset. Coin dealers usually have a nice little card/plastic holder you can insert them into (often for free) to give as gifts. Ammo is good for a shooter. For people who are on the fence or just starting out with survival, used books are really cheap and nice gifts (again I suggest "Sense of Survival" if you can find copies). Knives, fishing poles, camping gear, windup flashlights or radios are all good gifts. Again I wanna stress the importance of a weather alert radio (around $30) for people you love. Backpacks, canning gear, reloading equipment, first aid kits (buy a nice box/bag and stuff it full of bandages and the like), compasses, kerosene lanterns, etc are all good choices, fairly cheap and easily appreciated are all good things. Just think of the stuff you would want for your survival stash and try and fit them to the people you are giving to. Even someone not into preparedness can appreciate many of the items they would need in an emergency. Car emergency kits are fairly inexpensive as well. Use your imagination. For someone that IS survival minded, buy them a nice 100 lb bag of HRW wheat for $15 and get them some free 5 gallon buckets with lids from a restaurant or big box store.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:49:28 AM by Taylor3006 »

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:29:11 PM »
Ammo is always a good gift. I have a hard time getting my family to buy ME survival-themed gifts. When they ask me what I want for christmas and I respond with something like 55 gallon water barrels or home canning supplies or plastic buckets with gamma lids, I get weird looks. I think because I am 25 they find it strange that I worry about this kind of stuff. Typically I just tell them its an investment; buy or save today what is going to be expensive tomorrow. I have one of my brother-in-laws on board, but he really only is geared out on weapons. No one knows how much food my wife and I have and she knows not to say anything. They know I prepare, but they have no idea the extent. If you are giving gifts to survival-minded people I would love to recieve a water drum or storage food, things of this nature. Not the same as a DVD player, but much more practical and appreciated.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »
Forgot one other item that most people overlook.

Glo-Sticks.... some have limited shelf life, but for a buck and a quarter I will settle for a 5 year lifespan.

Earth Monk

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »
I tried to get my family to go with the idea of drawing names for gifts for Christmas so you only buy 1 gift for one person, so you can make it a very nice and expensive one.  That didn't fly because some people want to give gifts to everyone. 

Anyone have more ideas on what to give as gifts that are smaller, like $15-$20 range?

This can be a tough one, my sympathies. I would take a firm but fair approach and tell folks what you are about. Come clean, get out of the prepper's closet of sorts. If they are already aware of your prep activity (if not the extent) let them know how you would either appreciate a non commercial Christmas, or nothing at all. This will shock them, while their mouth is agape and their eyes are bugged out, hit them with your feelings about our national situation and general direction. Now they will either be on the fence, or thinking your a nut...whatever. Identify the sympathisers, and nonbelievers. This will be a handy list in the future for you.

Finally, give them all packs of seeds and simple gardening tools. Maybe give one a trowel, one a hoe, one a rake, etc.
The chess master would do this and take note of who has what...WTSHTF, go collect the unused items and seeds and continue to survive.

Callous...maybe.
I've been accused of that before.
It must be my Warrior Spirit.
Sorry to say it, but you can't save them all.

-Ras

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:25:44 AM »
I tried to get my family to go with the idea of drawing names for gifts for Christmas so you only buy 1 gift for one person, so you can make it a very nice and expensive one.  That didn't fly because some people want to give gifts to everyone.  With the size of my family that would have been the only way to give someone a firearm or another expensive gift.

It's a bit over your price range, but....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7811351

Earth Monk

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »
I'm feeling froggy and have had some spirits this evening...

Instead of giving anyone anything material, give them a certificate you make on your computer telling them you have donated a collective amount of $500 to a charity organization supporting Freedom and Liberty in America! By collective, I mean to name out each and every person or family unit on your list in the one mass certificate.

Then take $500 and prepare with it. You are the organization supporting Freedom and Liberty in America!

Don't be shady or secretive about it either, be bold, honest, and straight up about your purpose.
Folks may be offended, but so what.
We are in for one helluva ride here, and those offended folks will be the succubus dragging on resources in the future. Ensure you can offer some assistance to them by using the collective savings to prep for that eventuality.

I once gave myself a set of tires for my jeep, nothing speacial, 50,000 mile LT tires because my old ones were a safety problem. My brother and I are close, so I gave him a certificate and explained how I am supporting an American family in need with a donation in his name of four tires for their sole vehicle thus ensuring the father can continue to get to work safely and transport his infant daughter with a drastically reduced threat of tire failure leading to an accident. I even took a pic of the jeep getting the new tires at Les Schwab Tire co. I finished by telling him how much I appreciated his support in my trying time. He loved it...seriously.

An alternative to the above plan is to design a pamphlet with important prepper information in it. A helpful guide for the beginning prepper. Include background info to the current climate, simple but effective first steps, and some interesting projects one could tackle. Design the pamphlet to inspire and evoke a further intrest in the activity.
Attach the certificate to the pamphlet, save the cash, accept that many will think your nuts, and press on.

I heard a great quote about how we Americans spend too much time trying to impress people we really don't like with money we really don't have buying things we really don't need.

Think about that.

Good Luck,
-Ras (...a touch pickled)

Ewok

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:47:01 AM »
Some good things get.give this Christmas :

a knife
a compass
other outdoor stuff (tents, etc ...)
a silver coin (get them thinking about 'real money')

Offline misterdaycare

• Prepper
    • Star City Survival
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »
I had no idea this topic was being discussed on the board so I sent this idea to Jack a
day or two ago.  I'll put it here thought where it belongs.  It's just an idea I had for a
survival-minded Christmas gift.  Jack has mentioned many times the importance of everyone starting a home garden and using heirloom seeds.  You could give the seeds (from your own plants or catalog bought)  out as gifts to friends and relatives as both a gift and incentive to start being self-sufficient, etc. 

Instructions on making some homemade seed packets can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/siggyrose/

The creator of these templates shows them off at her blog at:  http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/2008/08/homemade-seed-packets.html

Just play around with the design and make your own. 

It's just a thought.  For those who didn't save any seeds this year, they could rush a couple packets through the mail for seed. 

Probably not something that a gun-totin hard core survivalist would give out, but spreading the "seeds of change" does seem to be in line with all of Jack's wonderful advice.  Maybe put "seeds of change" on the front of the packet, and a miniature version of the ant stickers on the back.

Anyway, it was just a thought.  I see now that someone else had mentioned seeds too.

Rod McGough

Pokethis

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 05:30:01 PM »
I like the multi-tool idea.  I got a leatherman "kick" low end multi-tool and a mini-multi tool for about the same price at Academy Sports.  That way you can break it up and give two good gifts, the mini maybe to a female and the kick to a guy or a girl if so inclined.