Author Topic: Color Code Of Mental Awareness (continued)  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
Color Code Of Mental Awareness (continued)
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »
Condition Orange is the next level of mental awareness. Condition Orange is best described as a specific, potential threat. Let's say you are in Condition Yellow and you're aware of what's going on around you and you see something out of the ordinary—you immediately ramp up to Condition Orange.
In Condition Orange, you need to do Two Things: First, you must make some evasive maneuver which forces your opponent to show his hand. Second, you must start formulating that tactical plan in the event that this is a real threat. The evasive maneuver forces your opponent to show whether his actions are just a coincidence OR he's actually after you!
Here's an example: You're driving down the road, a late model Ford pickup truck with two 20-year-old males to the right of you. It slows down and pulls in behind you. Nothing out of the ordinary there, but you look in the rear view mirror and you see those two guys in the truck and they're messing around underneath the dashboard and pointing at you. You think, “Condition Orange. Evasive maneuvers. Formulate a tactical plan in case this is in fact, a real threat.” So you make a right-hand turn at the next light. That's your evasive maneuver—a very simple evasive maneuver. They make a right hand turn too! You make another right hand turn. They also make a right hand turn. How many of you would say, “It's getting a little brighter Orange here?” You make another right hand turn and they're still behind you.
How many of you would say, “Hey I think they're following me.” You make another right hand turn and you're on the same street you were on when they pulled in behind you. They are following you!
Condition Orange is the second safety valve that helps prevent you from ever having to use deadly skills . Why? Because criminals are not the smartest people in the world but usually they can figure out when you know that they are on to you. So after the third turn one says to the other, “You know that's the third right hand turn this guy has done and he keeps looking in his mirrors at us. I think he knows we're following him. Let's find somebody else.” And off they go. Only the most dedicated criminal will continue his attack if he knows You Know it is coming.
Well let's say they're still behind you after the 4th right turn. Does anybody have any doubt that this is a real threat? No. You forced your opponent to show his hand. What's your tactical plan? Well we would submit to you that sometimes the best tactical plan is more evasion, more escape.
So your plan is, “I'm going to start driving over to the sheriff's station or the police station. I'm going to keep plenty of following distance between me and the car in front. I'm not going to let these guys box me in. If they get out of their vehicles or they bump me, I'll drive up onto the curb and I'll get out of here.” Sure enough you're driving, make a couple of turns, you're heading toward the police station. You come to a stoplight. The car in front of you stops at the light. You leave a little space and these guys bump you. You look in the rear view mirror and what do you see? They're getting out of the vehicles with weapons in their hands. You immediately drive up onto the right hand side of the road, up over the curb and you drive out of there. They are left standing in the street, weapons drawn, and looking around. As they retreat back to their truck they are wondering, "How did that happen?" Color Code of Mental Awareness is how that happened!
That's Condition Orange versus someone in Condition White who's driving along, enjoying the radio, thinking about what they're going to buy at the shopping center or what they have to do at the office. And BOOM they get hit from behind. First they grab their neck from the pain of the sudden jolt and the next thing they hear this "tap, tap, tap" on the glass. When they look out their window they're shocked because what do they see? They see a .25 caliber pocket pistol that looks like a .45 caliber handgun pointing in the window and some guy yelling and screaming, “Get out of the car! Get out of the car!” They want to get out of the car, but they can't move.
(Many times these people get shot, not because they're resisting, but because they're not capable of getting out of the car. They are frozen in fear like a deer caught in your headlights.)
That's the difference between getting caught in Condition White and being in Condition Yellow, then seeing something out of the ordinary, then ramping up mentally to Condition Orange, making that evasive maneuver as your formulate your tactical plan.
Condition Red is that level of mental awareness you reach when you know the threat is real. There's no doubt they're after you. In Condition Red you must set a mental trigger. You must draw a line in the sand. If you don't set a mental trigger or draw a line in the sand, at that moment of truth when you should be active, when you should be shooting, when you should be running, whatever it is you should be doing -- you may just be talking to yourself. And talking to yourself when you should be shooting will get you killed.
Sequentially it works like this: You say to yourself, "I'm going to do X. If my opponent does Y, I'm doing Z." End of story. Decision is made. You draw the mental line in the sand, if your opponent steps over it, you know what to do and You Do It!
Much like the carjacking scenario we just gave you. After four right turns, you know it's a real threat. You formulate your tactical plan. You say to yourself, "I'm going to keep good following distance. That's what I'm going to do. If they bump me or if they get out of their car, I'm going to drive upon the side of the road and get out of here." You see? I'm doing X. If they do Y, I'm doing Z.
Remember the scenario we told you about yesterday? The police officers who'd received a call that the man was waving a gun at the Shopping Mall? A witness flagged him over and said, “Hey he's around the corner. Be careful, he's got a gun.” So the two officers approached the suspect. What mental condition should they have been in? Red. The officers should have said to themselves, “I'm going to tell him to turn around and show
his hands. If he shows us empty hands, he doesn't get shot and we will take him into custody. If he threatens me with a gun, I'm shooting him.” The decision is made either way.
One of the officers was in Condition Red and when presented with an armed threat, he shot the suspect. His partner, who after the shooting said, “I could not believe the guy pulled a gun.” was no where near Condition Red. He certainly wasn't in Condition White, but he didn't understand the Color Code of Mental Awareness. No one ever taught him how to mentally ramp up in order to make the split-second decision to shoot another human— even to save your own life. He got caught flat-footed when the gun came out. All he could muster at the moment of truth was, “I can't believe he's drawing a gun.”
Condition Black is that point when your opponent trips your mental trigger and he crosses your mental line in the sand.
At the point your opponent trips that mental trigger, at the point where he crosses the line in the sand, you ramp into Condition Black and this is where the Combat Mindset comes into play…

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:05:41 AM by Tycoon »

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
Re: Color Code Of Mental Awareness (continued)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »
Tycoon,

+1, Thanks for posting the color code.

It was on my "to-do" list. Glad you beat me to it.

Here's an abbreviated version I had pasted in one of my training notebooks that's aligned to work in conjunction with the OODA Loop...

I believe I adopted this model from a Gabe Suarez book. it's been a while, but i will look for the actual reference when I can.

swanson

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
I have seen versions of this in other things I have read. It is a very important thing to keep in mind. When I read about this topic initially awhile back I realized that I tend to stay in the Yellow - Orange category. I am sure there are times I am in the white when I am home or in an enviroment that does not have as many people, but I notice that it is either habit or natural for me to scan my surroundings and identify possible problem points. Its not like I am paranoid, but I am cautious. I try to identify threats and possible threats (not just from humans) that are in my area. When something changes in the enviroment I kinda hit a mental refresh and look around. I wonder if this awareness is natural in survival minded people or is it just something I have learned to do over time so that it becomes second nature?

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »
I have seen versions of this in other things I have read. It is a very important thing to keep in mind. When I read about this topic initially awhile back I realized that I tend to stay in the Yellow - Orange category. I am sure there are times I am in the white when I am home or in an environment that does not have as many people, but I notice that it is either habit or natural for me to scan my surroundings and identify possible problem points. Its not like I am paranoid, but I am cautious. I try to identify threats and possible threats (not just from humans) that are in my area. When something changes in the environment I kinda hit a mental refresh and look around. I wonder if this awareness is natural in survival minded people or is it just something I have learned to do over time so that it becomes second nature?

Sounds pretty close to how I operate Cold. I'm deffinitely a Yellow-Orange minded individual and I know Swan sure as hell is. The wife would probably say paranoid, but I say preparedanoid. Yes, training has helped craft this over the years but I also believe this is just part of my genetic makeup. I've always just been more self-aware than most of the people (friends/family) around me for some reason. Just seem to notice those little things in everyday life that they don't. I think a good analogy would be Leadership. You can train somebody to manage but not to lead. I believe leadership is one of those inherent traits that some folks are born with and some aren't. Some folks are born with a keener eye and a sort of 6Th sense and some aren't.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:20:10 PM by Tycoon »

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:22 PM »
Coldhaven,

"I wonder if this awareness is natural in survival minded people or is it just something I have learned to do over time so that it becomes second nature?" - Coldhaven

I think all human beings have an alert nature to some extent.

However, I believe most folks tend to "unlearn" what nature and their gut intuition tries to tell them more often than not.

I think the culture we live in dumbs us down to potential threats and conditions us to be lax at an early age and to overlook threat indicators that would spike us out on the color code otherwise.

As a defensive tactics instructor and firearms trainer, I am constantly having to fight to "undo" the bad situational awareness habits that have taken residence in my students.

just a note- even if you are fundamentally alert, being switched-on is hard enough to maintain when you are fatigued too.

I guess I should remark that "I strive to pay attention", but know I am not in the zone all the time.

swanson

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:15:45 PM »
I have seen versions of this in other things I have read. It is a very important thing to keep in mind. When I read about this topic initially awhile back I realized that I tend to stay in the Yellow - Orange category. I am sure there are times I am in the white when I am home or in an environment that does not have as many people, but I notice that it is either habit or natural for me to scan my surroundings and identify possible problem points. Its not like I am paranoid, but I am cautious. I try to identify threats and possible threats (not just from humans) that are in my area. When something changes in the environment I kinda hit a mental refresh and look around. I wonder if this awareness is natural in survival minded people or is it just something I have learned to do over time so that it becomes second nature?

Sounds pretty close to how I operate Cold. I'm deffinitely a Yellow-Orange minded individual and I know Swan sure as hell is Yy wife would probably say paranoid, but I say preparanoid. Yes, training has helped craft this over the years but I also believe this is just part of my genetic makeup. I've always just been more self-aware than most of the people (friends/family) around me for some reason. Just seem to notice those little things in everyday life that they don't. I think a good analogy would be Leadership. You can train somebody to manage but not to lead. I believe leadership is one of those inherent traits that some folks are born with and some aren't. Some folks are born with a keener eye and a sort of 6Th sense and some aren't.

My buddy came back from Iraq and has become definitely paranoid. He was a big wig commanding some base and had a run in with an IED. He has lined his house and property with large boulders, then he built a big steel gate. Obviously he needs to have a "perimeter" set up, he can't leave the war behind him. He also has to be in a large truck or he won't go anywhere. Before his service he was very mellow, but now is a code red or black. It is causing marital problems and I don't think he will ever be able to work again. Last I heard he was going to be out on disability which he deserves. I'm always alert also, It's hard to be totally relaxed.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »
Bailey,

I have had the unfortunate happenstance to have been "IED'ed" several times. Thank god those "Haji" dirt-bags missed every time.

Here's a pic of one of the close calls back in 05'...

When coming back from a toxic environment like that, you tend to really have to adjust your viewpoint all over again.

This is a good point to mention and why I am sharing this little slice of life-

Things that are dangers in foreign lands tend to be the benign things we take for granted here. Things like trash on the side of the road, bridges and over passes, cars coming too close from behind get put out of proportion all together when you come back stateside for some.

I wish your friend well and hope he gets the attention he deserves.

swanson

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
Yeah I hope he does to, he is a good guy...

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »
Here's one of the less lucky days...

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »
I hope you were not in that?

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »
When the vehicle was disabled by the I.E.D., I actually was still in it...

However, the Tahoe caught on fire and burnt to a cinder after we debussed.

Amazingly, no one was hurt in the initial hit. The enemy tends to bury their I.E.D.s in too deep in the roads and most of the blast gets funneled upwards instead of straight at you. In this case, the brissance/shockwave disabled the vehicle along with some shrapnel.

They followed up this little bombing with an ineffective small arms fire attack while we got off the "X"...

To make a long story short - Maneuver and sustained accurate fire won the day for the good guys after that

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:51:06 PM »
NOW THIS IS SPECIAL

For fun...

Here's a picture of our "road warrior" vehicle we made out of another tahoe that got zapped by an I.E.D....

We put a turret-setup in the back with armor plating and slapped a MAG58 on a swivel chair for a laugh.

while the vehicle was functional, it was totally inappropriate for anything we were doing.

We NEVER took this contraption off base, but it was a sight to behold!!!

When you're bored, you can build anything in your spare time...

swanson

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
That doesn't look street legal... I don't see a seatbelt. Of course I wouldn't want to be the one asking you for your license and registration...

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
I am sorry Officer Sir...

My license is under my body armor and belt-fed...just wait a minute... I'll get it...LOL!!!

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »
Excerpt from an Iraq 911 call:

Hello 911.

Um yes I'd like to report an erratic driver...

Do you have a description...  Um It was a white suburban with a guy hanging out the sunroof with a machine gun and written across the back in large fluorescent letters were "Danger stay back 100 meters" in English and Arabic. Oh and it had Arabic plates #36500...I think it was a 9.

It's location.... Um it's heading down Fallujah Dr. north bound doing about 90...

Okay Ma'am well send someone to check it out....