Author Topic: Radio in BoB  (Read 3755 times)

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Radio in BoB
« on: December 31, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
This may have been asked before but I couldn't find it.

What is the reason for carrying a handheld radio in a BoB?  I understand having a shortwave just for information purposes but what it the purpose of a handheld?

I'm sure I'm going to get some obvious (DUH!) answer but really if you can only communicate a few miles with it, it can't be to call home right?

J

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
Re: Radio in BoB
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:04:59 PM »
Its for local (or long distance if you choose) to have someway of finding out what the local news/gov is tell you to do or go in case of an emergency.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
Its for local (or long distance if you choose) to have someway of finding out what the local news/gov is tell you to do or go in case of an emergency.

Is there any advantage to buying one with two way communication or would a one way shortwave like the Kaito be ok?

Thanks

J

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to get some obvious (DUH!) answer but really if you can only communicate a few miles with it, it can't be to call home right?

Only a few miles is required to get to the nearest repeater, then you communicate, potentially, around the world if the Echolink is working.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
I guess it kind of depends on what kind of radio you're carrying.

A small HT that operates in the HAM bands could be invaluable IMO.  There are national calling frequencies (though they may not be monitored regularly) that might provide comms contacts, or emergency information while traveling.  

I'm not so sure about FRS or MURS radios as I don't spend any time with them really.  I always travel with one or two of my HAM radios though & have become quite familiar with monitoring frequencies.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 07:11:44 PM »
Only a few miles is required to get to the nearest repeater, then you communicate, potentially, around the world if the Echolink is working.

That's for HAM right?  Or am I missing one of the other types?

I guess it kind of depends on what kind of radio you're carrying.

A small HT that operates in the HAM bands could be invaluable IMO.  There are national calling frequencies (though they may not be monitored regularly) that might provide comms contacts, or emergency information while traveling. 

I'm not so sure about FRS or MURS radios as I don't spend any time with them really.  I always travel with one or two of my HAM radios though & have become quite familiar with monitoring frequencies.

Do you have to have a license to use the HT type to communicate back?

Thanks guys, sorry about the dumb questions.  I'm trying to get my PERK and GHB in order and I want to make sure I cover all bases.

J

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
Is there any advantage to buying one with two way communication or would a one way shortwave like the Kaito be ok?

Thanks

J

Some radios, such as the Yaesu VX-7R, have both UHF/VHF, and shortwave, weather, FM, etc.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »

Thanks guys, sorry about the dumb questions.  I'm trying to get my PERK and GHB in order and I want to make sure I cover all bases.

J

Yes, that would be HAM. I am not aware that CB, FMRS, etc. have repeaters and what not.

You can listen all you want without a license. IIRC, unlicensed use is authorized in a bona fide emergency.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »

J
Eh, officially I'd say the FCC would say yes....however, in the case of emergency situations all bets are pretty much off, even for licensed HAM's. 

This is just my opinion, so don't go sayin' "DEV said so".  If I found myself in an emergency situation & new the nation-wide calling frequencies & just happened to have an HT that worked on some of those frequencies, I wouldn't think twice about giving a shout out, HAM license or no HAM license.

You can buy HAM gear without having a HAM license from most radio dealers.

Just as Jack Crabb pointed out, there are radios on the market that transmit on a few frequencies or across all frequencies.  If nothing else, get your Technicians ticket (it's easy & cheap to do) & learn a little something about communications.  Check out the Communications board or the Repository for some resources to get started.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »
Thank you kindly gentlemen.

J

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
Have the Yaesu vx-7r,.. it's a great radio. I've listened to:
AM/FM, FRS, GMRS, Marine, HF and Radio of the world (low band).

I can transmit on VHF and UHF since I'm a ham (pass the salt please  ;D

IN an emergency / life threatening situation, anyone, licensed or not can transmit on any freq.

Some radios can be modified (they are not type accepted or approved to) transmit on other bands.  The vx-7 will transmit on FRS / GMRS and some other freqs,.. even though you are not suppose to.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
Well I was stupid on this stuff when I made the original post.  Thanks again for the education everyone.

J