Author Topic: The Survival Podcast Ham Radio Club  (Read 70909 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: The Survival Podcast Ham Radio Club
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »
Specific stated purpose has to do with networking, preparing and communicating in case of local, regional, or national disaster scenarios.

I don't really understand the vanity requirements.  It should obviously end with "TSP", but what are the first two letters/numbers that are necessary?  Does it depend on the ranking of the person who is applying for the call sign?  Could we have, for example, U4TSP?  or TSP4M?  Or just something simple and covert like AJ6TSP?

I'd be happy to be a club officer, but I don't know which, aside from the fact that I certainly do NOT want to be the secretary.  Don't have time for that with work and school and the forum.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
Specific stated purpose has to do with networking, preparing and communicating in case of local, regional, or national disaster scenarios.

I don't really understand the vanity requirements.  It should obviously end with "TSP", but what are the first two letters/numbers that are necessary?  Does it depend on the ranking of the person who is applying for the call sign?  Could we have, for example, U4TSP?  or TSP4M?  Or just something simple and covert like AJ6TSP?

I'd be happy to be a club officer, but I don't know which, aside from the fact that I certainly do NOT want to be the secretary.  Don't have time for that with work and school and the forum.

Check out vanity details here:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=call_signs_3&id=amateur&page=1

If we use an "Extra" nomenclature, I believe an Extra class would have to be the trustee.

I can either work on getting my license upgraded (which I should do anyway) or we can find an Extra to be the trustee.

(At least I believe that is how it works. Anyone know? I will call the VEC guy again.)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:56:52 PM by Truik »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
I don't mind being an officer or helping in some way, BUT we need to decide before we even begin this endeavor what it's purpose will be. 

I've been through this before with another organization & we couldn't even manage to get a quorum together to discuss things.  I ended up resigning out of frustration. 

If we're going to elect officers we should probably open up a thread for people who want to volunteer for whichever office & then we can have run-offs if there are more than one person for each position.

I'll warn you though, this process can get complicated depending on what we want the club to do.  There will need to be regularly scheduled meetings & people will actually need to attend if we want to get anything accomplished.  We held our meetings via Skype...when we could get people together. ::) 

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
We now have twenty nine subscribers!

Anyone else wanting to sign up...

http://www.tsphams.com

By the way, Sis...Thanks for the purpose verbiage!

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
I don't mind being an officer or helping in some way, BUT we need to decide before we even begin this endeavor what it's purpose will be. 

I've been through this before with another organization & we couldn't even manage to get a quorum together to discuss things.  I ended up resigning out of frustration. 

If we're going to elect officers we should probably open up a thread for people who want to volunteer for whichever office & then we can have run-offs if there are more than one person for each position.

I'll warn you though, this process can get complicated depending on what we want the club to do.  There will need to be regularly scheduled meetings & people will actually need to attend if we want to get anything accomplished.  We held our meetings via Skype...when we could get people together. ::) 

Very good points.

I will try to come up with a draft of the club purpose soon and, of course, it is open to suggestions at this point.

I'll start a thread for officer nominations after we develop a purpose and perhaps a few other definitive terms of the club.

I think a monthly meeting should suffice and I use Skype regularly so that would be perfect.

At this point does anyone have any other specific points they believe should be mentioned within the purpose of this club (with the intention of submitting the "purpose" on the application form for the ham club)?

Fred_47460

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »
Another possible way to interact is echolink....but all interactees would have to be hams for that to work.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »
Another possible way to interact is echolink....but all interactees would have to be hams for that to work.

Edit: For the officer meetings? Good idea!

Edit edit:  Ooh. And they would all have to be Windows users, too. 

::)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:40:00 PM by Truik »

Fred_47460

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 04:47:34 PM »
The following vanity call signs are immediately available and require only a Tech level license to apply:
N4TSP  N3TSP  N1TSP

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
The following vanity call signs are immediately available and require only a Tech level license to apply:
N4TSP  N3TSP  N1TSP

I like N1TSP !

Of course, we'll vote on it, but I like that one.

;D

Thanks for looking that up!

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
Initial Rough Draft of the Purpose:

The purpose of the Survival Podcast Ham Radio Club is to promote amateur radio, educate amateurs and prospective amateurs about the various aspects of amateur radio, and to prepare to assist when needed in local, regional and national emergencies by learning and practicing the conventional practices of the amateur radio society.

Ok. Comments? Additions? Improvements?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
Yeah, we can't use echolink here at all.  We have all have windows, but the security on the internet access we use will not allow echolink no matter what we do or who we talk to.

Fred_47460

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
Yeah, we can't use echolink here at all.  We have all have windows, but the security on the internet access we use will not allow echolink no matter what we do or who we talk to.
Wow, that's odd. I've had to jiggle the security settings on my firewall to get echolink to work before...but that's all. I think I remember Norton interfering with it also to some degree....but I've always been able to make it work.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
We share an internet connection between 3 businesses and our house.  The biggest of the three businesses is NOT owned by us, and we get our T1 connection from them for free.  We've asked very nicely that they allow echolink through (it's been a few months, so I can't remember what the details are, but I know it has something to do with something coming in, and something going out of the firewall - some node or something), and they have flat out refused, due to security risks.

One of the kids who works over there is a good friend of ours and is an excellent hacker.  With those nodes open, he can access anything he wants to on the server.  ANYTHING.

So... No echolink for us.  Too dangerous.

Offline slickchick

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 08:06:21 PM »
Just thinking outloud here - Are we going to be able to have a club that is wide spread or are we going to have to create chapters of the club in different areas? So far I haven't found anything that says one way or another.

Someone earlier said that they were involved with a group and it turned into a nightmare and they bailed out. I think this has the potential for that but hey, We are TSP'rs and if there is anything I know we can do is come up with a plan and execute it, and then rotate it. ;)  Its all a matter of figuring out the rules and then breaking all the ones we can get away with. Kinding! Kinding!

Okay we can do this. I guess in TSP style we need to write up a list of the things that are needed. Divvy those out to be worked on and go from there. OMG the project manager is coming out in me. Sorry! No No No I'm seeing a Ghant chart in my head.

I would like to help as well. I did a search and found a bunch of charters for ham clubs that we can use to leverage off of.

Let me know how I can help. Would love to see this become a reality and a success. No reason why it can't. I'll keep researching like I'm sure other will be doing as well.

SlickChick

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 12:57:50 AM »
Just thinking outloud here - Are we going to be able to have a club that is wide spread or are we going to have to create chapters of the club in different areas? So far I haven't found anything that says one way or another.

I have considered that and need to research it more, however, I have not seen anything pertaining to geographical restrictions so far.

Someone earlier said that they were involved with a group and it turned into a nightmare and they bailed out. I think this has the potential for that but hey, We are TSP'rs and if there is anything I know we can do is come up with a plan and execute it, and then rotate it. ;)  Its all a matter of figuring out the rules and then breaking all the ones we can get away with. Kinding! Kinding!

Any operation always has the potential to go bad, however, I believe that individual expressed that not only out of concern but with a specific cause as a warning, and it is a darn good warning to heed. I believe, as long as there are motivated people who want to participate, this club shouldn't experience too many hurdles that would be any real problem to it. A willingness to communicate and work to resolve stuff as a group will go a long way in making this happen. I know that sounds cliche' but it makes a difference. I have no doubt the group of hams and hams-to-be in THIS forum group will have no problem making this a successful venture.

Okay we can do this. I guess in TSP style we need to write up a list of the things that are needed. Divvy those out to be worked on and go from there. OMG the project manager is coming out in me. Sorry! No No No I'm seeing a Ghant chart in my head.

Scroll up. Its already started. Feel free to continue to make great suggestions.

I would like to help as well. I did a search and found a bunch of charters for ham clubs that we can use to leverage off of.

If you see anything worthwhile that would accentuate our tentative purpose statement, please feel free to bring it up.

Let me know how I can help. Would love to see this become a reality and a success. No reason why it can't. I'll keep researching like I'm sure other will be doing as well.

SlickChick

There is absolutely no reason it can't come to fruition. I wouldn't be trying to help organize this if I thought it was going to fail.  :)

Just keep coming up with good ideas to help us get the club up and running.

And thanks for your help!

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Way to Old to start Over
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 06:50:12 AM »
Well in the interest of getting as many persons and Ideas to gather as possible, and please forgive me if I have missed something,  I have not seen any thing  posted about on air, As I said I may have missed something. what do all the ham club members think of having a three times a week, or whatever fits you antennas or schedules.    times the same times and frequencies as a fairly new group of persons called the prepers net, three times a week, once on 40, 80, and 160 meters each week? Whatever antenna fits your resources'    

The point being hooking up and or placing as many persons of like minded persons together as possible at one time?? We would not necessary need to reference our postings here or any names that go with it?

http://www.taprn.com/

Just a thought, we as a group of like minded persons seem to have problems getting together
all your thoughts?
SM
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:52:39 AM by scoutmaster »

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »
Well in the interest of getting as many persons and Ideas to gather as possible, and please forgive me if I have missed something,  I have not seen any thing  posted about on air, As I said I may have missed something. what do all the ham club members think of having a three times a week, or whatever fits you antennas or schedules.    times the same times and frequencies as a fairly new group of persons called the prepers net, three times a week, once on 40, 80, and 160 meters each week? Whatever antenna fits your resources'    

The point being hooking up and or placing as many persons of like minded persons together as possible at one time?? We would not necessary need to reference our postings here or any names that go with it?

http://www.taprn.com/

Sounds like a great idea to me.

I will be adding their links to the TSPHams.com site.

I was hoping people would step in and develop some type of on-air network plans for both regular and emergency communications for the club.

Just a thought, we as a group of like minded persons seem to have problems getting together all your thoughts?
SM

'not quite sure what you meant by that.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 08:28:14 AM »
What my last thought was about, Was ( and I have given up on that thought) AS I tried for over four years here in michigan, on five or six different forums, That by the way I think this state  is with out question the worst state in the continual US. to try to do this,  As every forum I see Michigan is not represented at all in preps persons,  in postings to find a small group of persons to work  as a small group not really depending on each other in any way, just working together on preping comms, group buys, and general origination in the same direction together and so on.

with in that time I haven't found any one interested or that has enough interest ( that seems have time) to place preping on the front burner. I always get the same response, I will come over to your house. or I just don't have time, I need to go to the movies.  So as I say I have given up, and that was my thought and meaning.

I really don't think that Linking up with others all across the US will be  near as good as a local grouping  or a lot of help other than finding out what conditions are in that part of the country, but it is better than nothing, and good for swapping Ideas. So many things, needs,shelter,equipment and so on are so much different. With water on three sides here in Michigan it also adds other unusual things.

I was hoping people would step in and develop some type of on-air network plans for both regular and emergency communications for the club.

That is what they are doing or trying to do in a big way, but they are having problems in finding interested persons.

Thats all, Hoping the nets, would bring more together.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:33:45 AM by scoutmaster »

Offline RIjake

• Survivor
  • Yankee Redneck
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »
I think the "purpose statement" is great.  I think we can worry about the vanity call sign in the future but N1TSP is nice!  I'm only a tech and don't have an HF radio yet so that gives me something to work towards.  
I'd really like to see this evolve into a regional thing.  Making contacts locally and knowing who's in my AO (maybe 50 mile radius) is important to me.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
I'd really like to see this evolve into a regional thing.  Making contacts locally and knowing who's in my AO (maybe 50 mile radius) is important to me.

That is just what I was looking for also, just could not find anything anybody.

VHF (tech) can be very useful, But keep working on the HF 80 and 160 meters it really works well for state wide comms, if you can find any one to participate we have well over 300 miles from the north to the south here and on the few times I can get others on the air here it works great with just wire antennas, even in the BOV with just a ham stick for an antenna, with NVIS. And that is just using a wire antenna just a few feet off the ground, on the base units
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:45:36 AM by scoutmaster »

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »
I really don't think that Linking up with others all across the US will be  near as good as a local grouping or a lot of help other than finding out what conditions are in that part of the country, but it is better than nothing, and good for swapping Ideas. So many things, needs,shelter,equipment and so on are so much different. With water on three sides here in Michigan it also adds other unusual things.

That is what they are doing or trying to do in a big way, but they are having problems in finding interested persons.

Thats all, Hoping the nets, would bring more together.

I agree with you on the thought that local groups forming nets together will ultimately be far more effective than nationwide groups in any type of situation and even in every day use. I also think that just having some type of action plan in place for nationwide (worldwide?) comms in the event of a major situation, would be better than none. That is just my opinion.

I am hoping their will be regional, state and local groups of TSP hams will strengthen their sense of community with each other. Whether it be through the links you provided and/or groups of TSP hams forming their own, I'd just like to see it come together.

Thanks again for the links.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 08:52:25 AM »
I agree completely, I just can not see how others, Sheeple I guess you would say cant see the importance of preping with all that is going on, and the way things are going. Seems like they say most just think this is the USA it cant happen here, Just look around and we can see that is not true. All the other countries that have tried to have fallen flat and are fighting  to try and get back to what we have or at least use to have.

Sure seems that what the few, that are predicting this have been on so far. Check out Region 4 on this forum, for the Michigan section, it is off the bottom of the page. Case in point.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:55:43 AM by scoutmaster »

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 08:54:08 AM »
Along these lines, and I'm looking for more honest opinions and feedback here...What would you think of having a section in the newsletter of people who have voluntarily sent to me their callsign, bands they use, and geographical areas (cities, states, regions, depending on the band) so it can be available to the other TSP hams for them to keep an ear out for you or try bringing you up.

Also, if you provide general times when you are regularly on those frequencies, you have more of a chance of making contact.

This may help facilitate local TSP hams getting together on air in their respective communities.

I may go ahead and start a thread for this as well, just in case anyone is interested.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
I would think it would work out,
 But that is kind of what I had in mind when sending you the link in prepers net, it is not really a club or group, in it self per say, it is just a group of guys looking to get people together on the same frequencies, and get the prepers idea out. They have some the same and some different check ins every week.

My thought was, in trying to consolidate all the splinter groups into the same areas or frequencies so that at least the few of us that truly are interested can at least work together even if it is in different parts of the country. then maybe working off into different VHF freqs that are for local stuff when there becomes enough persons to make it work. that are close enough togather.

With all the splinter groups we have now, it keeps the numbers of persons low in each group and thus not enough persons to make any one splinter group work, I can list at least 5 or 6  groups that do just that, Warrifles,ar15,apn, and so on. There many many more all have survival or prepers on there nets,??

all struggling trying to get things going, but at the same time want there own groups does that make any sense.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:22:09 AM by scoutmaster »

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »
I would think it would work out,
 But that is kind of what I had in mind when sending you the link in prepers net, it is not really a club or group, in it self per say, it is just a group of guys looking to get people together on the same frequencies, and get the prepers idea out.  My thought was, in trying to consolidate all the splinter groups into the same areas or frequencies so that at least the few of us that truly are interested can at least work together even if it is in different parts of the country. then maybe working off into different VHF freqs that are for local stuff when there becomes enough persons to make it work. that are close enough togather.

With all the splinter groups we have now, it keeps the numbers of persons low in each group and thus not enough persons to make any one splinter group work, I can list at least 5 or 6  groups that do just that, Warrifles,ar15,apn, and so on. There many many more all have survival or prepers on there nets,??

all struggling trying to get things going, but at the same time want there own groups does that make any sense.

Yep. I completely understand. I have posted links to the American Prepper Net and the Canadian Preppers Net sites on TSPhams.com

I will also be including their links in the newsletters.

In addition, if we get even a few hams in touch with their neighbors by having an additional resource (the list and/or thread of people volunteering their possible contact time and place on the air) then I think it is worth it. Not everyone will go to the Prepper net sites. Not everyone will want to check out the contact lists. But, together, they comprise a couple more options available to prepper hams and TSP listeners to meet'n'greet with each other.

I am not trying to do any of these things in opposition to any other. I'm just trying to have options that appeal to people with varying interests in how they might find their fellow hams.

Hopefully, most hams on the forums and subscribed to the newsletter will try BOTH means and end up with more contact and better long term results.

Again, just my opinion.

:)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:27:47 AM by Truik »

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2010, 09:32:24 AM »
I agree completely, and I am not sure if it was by accident or on porpoise but on the perpers net  ar15 and a little on warrifles  survival nets they ended up using the same frequencies, or close  as there contact frequencies. wouldn't  it be really great if some how we could all have a nation wide emergency/preppers gathering frequencies list to go to.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2010, 10:18:03 AM »
I agree completely, and I am not sure if it was by accident or on porpoise but on the perpers net  ar15 and a little on warrifles  survival nets they ended up using the same frequencies, or close  as there contact frequencies. wouldn't  it be really great if some how we could all have a nation wide emergency/preppers gathering frequencies list to go to.

Yes! That would be the way to go.

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
I'm in.  One of my two big-ticket prep items for 2010 is a high-frequency rig to go with the big ol' battery stash and the little solar panels I've got.

Offline JS_280

• Prepper
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
I love the idea of starting out with HF nets three times a week and then branching into local VHF nets as the club grows.  I've been checking out the APRN site for a while and it seems like interest there is dwindling.  I believe they have even canceled their 80M net due to lack of someone willing to act as Net Control.  Their forum surely isn't very active.

I'm new to amateur radio, but I'm learning quickly.  I got my Tech and General licenses about two months ago and have learned CW (avg of 9 wpm) over the last week.  I have a bad habit of jumping head first into any new hobbies I get into and annoying anyone else who knows about it with millions of questions.  I would be happy to help out in any way that I can, just shoot me a PM...but I warn you, be prepared for the questions regarding antennas, radios, cw, etc...  ;D

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »
I'm in.  One of my two big-ticket prep items for 2010 is a high-frequency rig to go with the big ol' battery stash and the little solar panels I've got.

Hi, Atadeadrun.

Just out of curiosity, what is the total wattage of your panels and how many amp-hours battery storage do you have for your system? Do you use any special connectors/filters/fuses/charge controllers between your batteries and your rig?