Author Topic: prepper failed today but learned some valuable lessons  (Read 3301 times)

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
prepper failed today but learned some valuable lessons
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »
This morning I got ready for work and discovered that my water wasn't running. The outside temp was 4 degrees last night, immediately I realized that my pipes had froze.

My failure was to be aware of the freezing temps (I live in a mobile home) and the fact that there is inferior insulation under the trailer. I should have left a few faucets running over night (running water doesn't freeze) to prevent my pipes from freezing.

Asside from being without running water for a week (temps are forecasted to remain below 0 for a week) I could have busted my plumbing and been without water for weeks.

Lessons learned: leave faucets dripping overnight, be aware of the weather and don't underestimate the risk, sterno fuel cans work great for thawing frozen pipes(they quickly heat the pipe without causing too much thawing leading to a busted pipe), leave an eletric heater under the house to keep the temp up(be fire safety aware!)

I hope that someone can learn from my failures. 

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: prepper failed today but learned some valuable lessons
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »
My next door neighbor (an elderly woman who lives by herself) had her pipes freeze up Saturday night.  She called me at 3:30 to find out what to do.  I ran her out to walmart and got a cheap ($18) electric heater and plugged it in in her basement, 1/2 hour later later the pipes came loose.   It doesn't take much to keep em from freezing.

I discovered that my laziness is a blessing in this respect (We are expecting more -20 to -30 days for the rest of the week), my toilet runs and I haven't gotten around to fixing it.  I am waiting until spring now and wont get nagged about it :)

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
womule, don't you have heat tape on those pipes?  if you do check and make sure they are one.  I used to live in a manufactured home and had that happen, the heat tape blew the GFI sometime in the spring and I never bothered to check on it.

when winter came around the pipes burst.  had to replace the pipes and the entire insulation diaper.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »
Even my antique trailer had an outlet by the water source so you can get a water line heater cord which you either run along the bottom of the pipe, or wrap it coiled around the pipe, and then wrap it with fiberglass insulation. Kept it running in some cold weather. When the well-pit heat lamp blew, that was another story, but the lamp was easily replaced and water running within 2 hours.

OTOH, my modular had a freeze up when it was ZOMG-below zero a few years ago. The place was fully skirted and insulated, and the water pipes were very well insulated and heated as well. The solution there was to open the panel where the water pipes came into the floor of the house and run a milk house heater for a few hours. Everything thawed and all was well.

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »
Yeah it has heat tape around the inlet pipe. It works, the floor insulation had fallen apart. I have only live here since march 09. Since the insulation was down I think the pipes froze anyway since there isn't heat tape around them.

I'm pretty sure that my problem was from the water meter near the road. I think that is where it was frozen. I worked to thaw it and restored water flow.

Its hard to saw where the frozen piping was since I was working on all of the at the same time.

Lesson learned. Its not happening again

Offline res2cue

• Prepper
  • Is it time?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
Glad it work out for the best ;)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
Um - prepper friend - it wasn't a failure if you learned something.

Now you have wisdom for the next cold snap.  Blessings TBM

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »
Um - prepper friend - it wasn't a failure if you learned something.

Now you have wisdom for the next cold snap.  Blessings TBM
^ This ^

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »
We woke up to a kitchen waterfall down into the basement one cold Martin Luther King day when we lived in Kokomo, Indiana several years ago. Our dishwasher hoses froze! Now that was a bummer!