Author Topic: "Stealth" Antennas Keeping Some Hams on the Air  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
"Stealth" Antennas Keeping Some Hams on the Air
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »
Flagpole antennas. Lawn Sculpture and shrubbery-concealed antennas. A dipole stretched across an attic space.

For various reasons (aesthetics, neighbors complaints, crazy HOA's, whatever,) hams sometimes need a bit of help with their signal.

What creative "stealth" antennas have you tried? seen? would you suggest?

Offline res2cue

• Prepper
  • Is it time?
Re: "Stealth" Antennas Keeping Some Hams on the Air
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:24:52 PM »
I don't think the cactus would work to well here in Southern New England  :o :D
Flagpole antennas. Lawn Sculpture and shrubbery-concealed antennas. A dipole stretched across an attic space.

For various reasons (aesthetics, neighbors complaints, crazy HOA's, whatever,) hams sometimes need a bit of help with their signal.

What creative "stealth" antennas have you tried? seen? would you suggest?

Fred_47460

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
I've loaded up gutters on HF. It "worked"....but it wasn't the best antenna I've ever used.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:10:16 PM »
Bird Feeders, flag poles,.. ficus trees,..I sorta gave up on that,.. plan to hide my antenna in the trees,.. a bit of camo paint.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:23:04 AM »
I have great success with an 80 meter (256 feet as I recall) loop buried a couple inches below the grass with a cable install machine,though it can be done by hand. The loop is on a hill and is well above the water table and is insulated wire with a bucket mounted automatic tuner . It tunes 6 through 80 meters and 160 at lower power and acts like an NVIS antenna though my first contacts were Canada ,Europe,and South America . A loop on a wooden fence ,even doubled back a foot or so separated between wires will also surprise you as antennas don't have to be straight line  affairs ,it is just easier to draw them that way.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »
I seem to recall (possibly from an old AARL Antenna Handbook) replacing the rope on a clothes line with antenna wire. Of cause in some places a clothes line may attract attention.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »
I seem to recall (possibly from an old AARL Antenna Handbook) replacing the rope on a clothes line with antenna wire. Of cause in some places a clothes line may attract attention.

And the electric dryer will not tune well either ;D

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »
And the electric dryer will not tune well either ;D

darn - was thinking my wife's 1600 watt hair dryer could be fashioned into an amplifier with some clothes pins and tinfoil.

If you have the means, just put a Jpole in an attic.  Also, I built Carl's "big stick" PVC pipe enclosed Jpole that wouldn't look too out of place clamped to a fence post of gutter downspout.

Obviously for the HF bands size becomes a factor and you deal with wires instead of rigid designs.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
  73 magazine had so good articals. My favorite was the ham who was using a sling shot to put up some thin wire. The neighborhood kids caught him and asked him what he was doing. He told them he was putting up the wire to keep UFO's away from the condos. After that his neighbors wouldn't let the kids talk to him and he was able to run his radio in peace.