Author Topic: Yaesu FT-5200 needs repair. Advice? Suggestions?  (Read 5776 times)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Yaesu FT-5200 needs repair. Advice? Suggestions?
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:47:15 PM »
I walked into a Radio Shack while I was waiting on my truck to get out of the shop and I was chatting with the guy behind the counter (giving him a hard time about being called "Radio Shack" when they had no real radios to speak of, certainly nothing in the amateur transceiver area) when he stopped and remembered something.

He told me to wait, went in the store room, and came back holding an abandoned Yaesu FT-5200. He said a guy came in to get it repaired (imagine that) and, when he was told Radio Shack doesn't repair amateur radios, the guy just decided to get a new one. When he was told Radio Shack doesn't sell amateur radios (where has this guy been), the guy left disgusted and just left the radio on the counter.

That was several days ago, according to the sales guy.

Soooo...

I got this thing sitting on my desk and I'm wondering about the prospect of sending it in and paying for an diagnosis and, possibly, a repair.

Is this probably a ludicrous idea? Is it going to be statistically cheaper to buy a new Yaesu dual-band then it would be to have it repaired? I know its depending on the actual problem, of course.

I don't see any exterior damage. The cable connectors are intact and in good shape. The in-line fuse is not blown and there are no indications (to my untrained eye) of what may be wrong.

I haven't tried connecting it to a battery yet as I just brought it home.

I was just wondering what you would recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline jimbrtxva

• Prepper
Re: Yaesu FT-5200 needs repair. Advice? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »
I would try it out.  There is a chance the guy just did not have it hooked up correctly and could not receive a good signal.  You might get lucky.

Look at the review on eham.com ( http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2031 ).  Looks like there might have been a few issues with that model.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:01:18 PM »
Ok. Thanks for the info.

I didn't have to go past the first page of reviews to figure out I'm not even going to pay postage to try and get this thing fixed.

;D

Offline res2cue

• Prepper
  • Is it time?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »

Offline HamDXr

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »
Did you ever get it working? I have one that is not working properly. Cost me $80 + shipping just to have Yaesu tell me it was not worth repairing... I've heard that from an outfit on the East Coast that appears to specialize in Yeasu gear as well.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
It may not be worth paying to have it fixed but what about trading are selling the radio to some one who has the skills to fix it themselves?

Offline sicnarf1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
Hey!  Just came across your post.  Do you still have the 5200?  Did you ever get it working?  If not, would you consider selling?  Have you ever powered it up to see what it would do or not do?  I have worked on the 5100's;  the 5200 is almost identical except for removable face.

Tnx.
Francis WA4ZYN

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »
The best repair facility I know and use is:

COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES
1732 Southampton Dr.
Carrollton TX,  75007

# (214) 476-5107