Author Topic: Fly vs Bait/cast for Long-Term Sustainability  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Gregg Yows

• Prepper
    • Revolution Rock And Roll
Fly vs Bait/cast for Long-Term Sustainability
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
Hey folks-
Outside of the obvious jug lines, trot lines, yo yos, etc... that are very effective, what type of fishing do you think is more suitable/sustainable for a "modern survivalist" to master, fly or bait-casting?

The reason I as is that I enjoy both, but would like to "master" one or the other. I can't master both because of time and money right now. From my perspective, there are advantages for each type of fishing. Fly fishing has the element of using natural items to make your own baits (flies). I also think that a crude fly rod could be more easily constructed and maintained than any type of baitcasting rig (say a spinning reel or baitcaster). Also, there is really no mechanical parts that are absolutely necessary to fly fish. A serviceable fly line could be made from a number of materials.  On the flip side, bait cast fishing (with spinning reels, baitcast reels, live bait and/or artificial bait) is much more efficient and one can fish more effectively from the bank if no watercraft is available. Also, casting is simpler to master than fly-casting (not a big deal for me either way as I have been fishing both ways for a while now). Also, bait-casting generally allows you to fish deeper than fly fishing opening up more of the water column to the angler.

I'm just curious about what y'all think. If this has been asked already, please direct me to the thread. Thanks!

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Fly vs Bait/cast for Long-Term Sustainability
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
Baitcast with no hesitation but just remember, a spinning reel is just as good as a baitcast reel and usually requires less skill and is more reliable.

I have to assume you are saltwater fishing.  For the stuff you want to tangle with, you need the baitcast gear ratio for the larger saltwater fish.  I also believe the lure choices are much wider with baitcast equipment (as you mentioned).  Flyfishing is fun though.

Now, if you are talking about freshwater, I'd contend you are better off with a medium weight spinning rod and a spinning reel that will handle 6-8lb line.  Give that to a person in these parts and they'd have you a mess of crappie, bluegill and bass so quick, it'd make your head spin.

J

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »
You should be able to aquire a fly rod and a bait caster very cheap as well as a nice spinning rod. Just check the close out bins at the big box stores  as well as some tackle shops.
I have bought some good tackle at yard sales.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
For a SHTF situation, the rules might be out the window and sitting aroudn with a rod on the pond bank ain't gonna happen for a long time... too busy with staying alive.  Look into how to run a trot line.  10 - 20 lines hanging down, baited with chicken gizards or something, lines are strung to the master line, floated with bleach jugs or soda bottles.  Secured on both ends so it don't float away.

Offline Gregg Yows

• Prepper
    • Revolution Rock And Roll
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
Thanks guys. I think a good compromise would be to focus on spinning / bait-casting ...but maybe use my fly-tying skills to make my lures. There won't be anyone selling Fat-A bombers or spinner-baits.  I worry about trot lines and such in public waters, but I suppose if you are willing to guard them, you should be OK. Also, it's easy enough to duplicate a spinning rig a number of times for redundancy. 

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
Sorry, I completely missed the first line of your original post.   :P

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
IMHO you should not be fishing when SHTF but should be catching. Fishing wastes too much time for the results produced.

Not to mention the security issues with standing on a bank or sitting in a boat.

Learn to use a cast net like these.    http://www.fishnetco.com/cast.htm

Offline jimbrtxva

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »
The where to fish might be the bigger concern, unless you are fishing while traveling.

A well stocked ponded at your house/bol would be something to cultivate.

papaswamp

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
Long term I would say neither. Eventually line degrades, reel break etc.. Spearfishing/arrow fishing and fish traps allow for a more long term sustainable. A permanent fish corral/trap can provide fish for long time periods with little effort after constructed.

That said...I love flyfishing due to the challenge and not so much as needed to put food on the table. I would think bait/spin casting would be the most successful.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:08:11 PM by papaswamp »