Author Topic: Video Monitoring and Security  (Read 39985 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Video Monitoring and Security
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
As per an earlier discussion here is a thread for video surveillance.

Some items to keep in mind when considering Video Security.

1.  Location, Location, Location, :)  Wired vs Wireless cameras, receivers etc.
2.  Lighting:  Do you need NV or daylight only or mixed
3.  Quality of video:  Do you need high end video that can read a license number at 50 feet or just get a decent vehicle description
4.  Storage time and space:  How long do you wish to record.  Do you want to keep back logs of video for several months, or only a couple of days.  The combination of quality and time will determine space requirements.

Just a couple of items to kick the thread off with. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:09:52 PM by Docwatmo »

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Video Monitoring and Security
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »
This is excellent.  I found your links on the afformentioned previous thread.  I am in your debt. 

J

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »
Oh hey, what did you use as a receiver for the wireless ones?  I'll do a search on Tiger but I was just wondering.

J

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »
I'm useing an older version of this reciever (minus the camera)  (http://www.buy.com/prod/q-see-qswlocr-2-4-ghz-wireless-outdoor-camera-kit-with-receiver-20ft/q/loc/101/204849421.html)  I have one at each office location, but i'm going to be adding another 2 or 3 cameras when we restructure our building and i'll want to pick up a multichanel reciever to replace them with.

This has been running hands off with no user intervention for 3 years now without a glitch. 

Tigerdirect.com is great for most of these items.  There are some better specialty shops (http://www.2mcctv.com/ is my fave) but they do tend to get pricier.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:26:49 PM »
I set mine up with 4 of the X-10 B/W cameras, hardwired into 4 old VCR's with T-180 tapes, set the timers to kick in at 10pm and let the tape run to the end.  The next morning all the tapes were rewound, ejected and ready for viewing.  I had motion detector lights in the same area as each camera, so all I had to do to review the tapes was hit fast forward" and watch for the lights to come on when tripped.  I had most of the "darkness of night" covered with the cameras and motion detector lights, during the day, the other "security" items would take care of any threats.

One thing I did notice after reviewing tape after tape, just because you don't wake up the next morning and find your drivers window knocked out does not mean that there isn't a threat out there.  I just happened to catch a guy on tape as he crept up onto my cars sitting in the driveway every night for a week straight and check the door handles of each car.  I went back and more carefully reviewed the rest of the tapes from that week and even though I "saw" him the one night he tripped a motion detector light, he had been checking nightly for a week.  Me and a few "friends" were waiting for him the next night.  Hadn't been back since.

Tim.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »
My first system at work was tape based using T180's that I rotated out daily.  That was a pain.

I now use only motion controlled recording.  I have a single (mirrored) 160 gig drive and its got nearly 6 months of video on it now and hasn't cycled back to overwrite the old data yet.

The free software that comes with the Q-See products is basic and kind of flaky but does the job. 
I currently use the full SMS software that came with our high end DVR system.  Its awesome, but a bit complicated and a pain to set up, but once running is pretty slick.
Before the new DVR, I was using the D-Link software which is ok, but a little buggy.

I did play with some of the freebies on the net but never had much luck with them (one on one camera is fine but when you want more than one camera on display you really need to purchase some decent software.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »
Is any of you willing to write up a good how to, and give some info for wiring and the cheap system for the ant just starting or preppers that are not in with all the tech stuff?

Rook ;D

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Is any of you willing to write up a good how to, and give some info for wiring and the cheap system for the ant just starting or preppers that are not in with all the tech stuff?
Rook ;D

I is if Docwatmo is?  I'll handle the Low-Tech Redneck version if Docwatmo can do us up on the other end of the spectrum?

Tim.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
You got it.   I'll put it up by Monday though, (Possibly some time over the weekend but I have a busy weekend ahead of me with Pinewood Derby/waffle breakfast so no guarantees :) ). 

I'm looking at doing 2 separate (one 2 or 3 camera and one 4 to 6 camera system in the next couple of months). Wouldn't hurt to dig in to the current hardware, its been a while since I looked at the hardware.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
You got it.   I'll put it up by Monday though, (Possibly some time over the weekend but I have a busy weekend ahead of me with Pinewood Derby/waffle breakfast so no guarantees :) ). 

Mine will be the bootleg DollarTree version.  But a working system nonetheless.  I'll also shoot for a weekend completion.

Tim.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 01:10:53 AM »
A: Thank You Docwatmo. Since I instigated this, I should at least acknowledge it. ;)

B: I'm looking to put together a system myself and expect it to be a bit of a hybrid between REDNECK Tim's and Doc's. ;D

C: With a home wireless network, would it be possible to monitor video via my Ipod Touch? That would be the bomb.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 06:07:27 AM »
A: Thank You Docwatmo. Since I instigated this, I should at least acknowledge it. ;)

B: I'm looking to put together a system myself and expect it to be a bit of a hybrid between REDNECK Tim's and Doc's. ;D

C: With a home wireless network, would it be possible to monitor video via my Ipod Touch? That would be the bomb.

I would think so, if you can see your network on the IPOD. The only question is would you have to make a app for it? That I don't know.

Rook

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 01:18:45 PM »
I'll include the options later for remote access.  (I think i'm looking at 4 separate tutorials right now.

The first version draft is done and I'll post it tonight.  Its a simple single webcam version quick and dirty but I also include some of the ground work for planning a system regardless of the size.

I'll include more advanced tutorials afterward including remote access versions.  I know I can access some via my windows mobile phone but not sure about the Ipod (Don't use or develop for it).  Since most of the solutions i'll post include web accessible servers any web enabled device that supports the control (Java, Active X etc) should be able to access it.

Also, beyond direct monitoring, Most of the setups I do will include motion capture and notification, so if you have a mobile phone with web (Or even just SMS texting) you can receive notifications with pictures (or short video's) when an alarm is triggered.

Another note, I'm not an expert, I've just done my share of a variety of tech jobs and am familiar with most.  So whatever I put up, I expect others to beat up and add to or correct my errors.  Also, when dealing with security, there is more than just the technical aspect.  Knowledge of ingress and egress routes, lane's of fire/observation and many other aspects go into the planning and design.  I will do my best, but i'm sure there are some on here with much more experience in security and surveillance than I have and I would be glad (if not overly insistent :) ) to take their advice and tips and suggestions and incorporate them into these tutorials.  This isn't my documentation, its all of ours. 

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:12 AM »
I'm going to build a small open website to host the Video security stuff.  It will be open and allow upload and download of documents, videos, pictures etc.  Make it an easy to use community reference.   

I took the day off to spend some family time but i'll post the first document tonight.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »
Truth in shooting my big mouth off Policy:  OK, I said I'd put together my bootleg DollarTree version this weekend, I didn't exactly lie, I just didn't get the opportunity to do it - YET.  My daughter borrowed my camera last week and then returned it without the charging cord, so after dragging all my bootleg gear out, no pictures were possible.  The camera is now on charge and I hope to be able to post the little project tomorrow.  I promise!

Tim.

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:43:30 PM »
Wow guys... just wow... this is awesome! I've been wanting to setup a video system for my home, and never made much progress. That cheapie X-10 camera and VCR activator I had just never worked out very well.

Can't wait to read your instructables!

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »
Ok, I went ahead and created a Google site to use for Video Security.  Its open for access by anyone so everyone can just go to the site and read the documents and tips and suggestions etc.  I've never used google sites before so i'm still dinking with it. (Pretty slick little set up though).

If anyone has trouble with or suggestions for the site, please feel free to email, PM or post to the site.

The site is not done, I've only just begun modifications from the default template.  However the first intro document is available under the documents section.

There is still a lot of "Fluff" from the default template which I will either modify or delete, but the general site layout is ok.

The website is  http://sites.google.com/site/vidsecintro  Then click Documents to view, download or print the current document. (It has a built in PDF viewer so you don't need any software to view the PDF formated documents.

I believe anyone with a Google account can upload documents (Haven't tested it yet) but not sure yet.  I'm trying to keep the format open.  I may add a standing FTP document repository with a nice little upload tool but that will be down the road.

The first document is posted, again its not much, just an into with some basic info leading up to a single webcam type install (Cheap and Dirty).

I'll be posting additional tutorials working up through multi-camera and stand alone DVR 4 camera systems over the next couple of weeks.  It will just take me some time to get them all done.

Please, Please, Please beat up on this document, make corrections, suggestions etc.  If something doesn't look right, or could be better worded or formated, or additional information would be useful, don't hesitate to PM me or send a note or email. 

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:03 AM »
I could kiss ya (if I weren't so straight!).   :D

J

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »
Backs slowly out of the room and reconsiders this whole TSP thing thanks to Kydoomer. LOL

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
Backs slowly out of the room and reconsiders this whole TSP thing thanks to Kydoomer. LOL

Ditto, when I post my "Bootleg/DollarTree" white paper, a simple, "non-wet" Thank You will suffice.  <grin>

(Dueling banjo's softly playing in the background...)

Tim.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 11:21:53 AM »
Ditto, when I post my "Bootleg/DollarTree" white paper, a simple, "non-wet" Thank You will suffice.  <grin>

(Dueling banjo's softly playing in the background...)

Tim.

You sho're do have a pritty mouth!

(this thread derailment brought to you by the letter...)

J

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
Good thread.
I'm looking to do a wired system going to a PC. 
The cameras will probably be located at each corner of the home, so access via the attic is easy.I have to run power anyway, so running coax will be easy enough.
4 channel PC card to DVR for XXX days
Access any camera from anywhere on the home LAN.

I don't know beans about the cameras.  What specs are important, what range of spec is decent.  Obviously the high end one's are better, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Come to think of it, the power for the cameras could also run back to a UPS.... just thinking outloud.

Hey... what's that strange 70's era Jazz music playing in the background here. :)

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »
I put all systems on UPS,  The low voltage draw of the cameras can get 45 minutes to 2 hours out of simple 450 VA UPS systems.  Much easier if you run all camera and power back to a central location.  I have postponed my trip next week to Kansas City, so I may have some more free time to put up some more docs and tutorials.  I'm looking at putting in a 6 or 8 camera system at work to replace my cobbled together version.  I'll use that as a walk through in the design phase and it should work for any 4+ camera system.

Ray, A couple of questions.

1.  Are you looking at running a stand alone DVR or piping it to a computer?
2.  Do you have a dollar amount in mind you are looking to stay around?
3.  What kind of distances are you planning to cover with the cameras?
4.  Do you have any outdoor lighting (In town) or is it dark.
5.  How wide of an angle are you looking at covering?  (If you can narrow your width to ingress egress routes, you can get better quality from cheaper cameras).

That should get you started.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
1.  Are you looking at running a stand alone DVR or piping it to a computer? 
I have a dedicated PC for the job, I just need the video input card & software.
2.  Do you have a dollar amount in mind you are looking to stay around? 
$200-$400 ?
3.  What kind of distances are you planning to cover with the cameras? 
The yard & Driveway, so it is some distance from the camera. 50+ feet
4.  Do you have any outdoor lighting (In town) or is it dark. 
I have motion sensors on all outdoor lighting
5.  How wide of an angle are you looking at covering?  (If you can narrow your width to ingress egress routes, you can get better quality from cheaper cameras).
90 degrees?   Not sure, haven't delt with them before.  At this point I'm looking at one or two then adding additional as needed.  I have two areas that I want to cover now.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
Sounds like a pretty standard setup.  If you have motion trip on the lights and don't care about capturing night or dealing with night vision and IR, your gonna have a pretty easy time with it.

I'll pull some specs and give some suggestions tomorrow.  Without the need for night vision you should be able to stay well below the $200 mark for a decent card and 2 cameras.  Probably end up focusing one near the house (20 ft or so) to maximize detail from the light reference at night (And peak detail during the daylight hours) and focus the other further down the drive for daylight use.  (probably lose most of the long range camera at night depending on the lights.  (A lot of this depends on the power of your motion lights and how far they reach).

On cameras in the sub $70 range, you start to lose detail outside of about 60 degrees pretty quickly (Cheap non glass lenses).  Some wide angles lenses do well with good light but their focal range can be short.  I'm looking at auto focus motion tracking cameras to avoid this problem but they get a bit more expensive.  Plus if you have multiple subjects advancing on the camera, the auto focus and zoom gets confused easily, had one I tested just zoom out to infinity and stick there until I manually screwed the lens back down).

Got to get some work done so i'll sing off tonight and try to have something up tomorrow.  Did you have any gear picked out already or are you still in the planning stages?

Doc

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:16 AM »
Tim's Bootleg/DollaTree/DumpsterDivin Video Cam Recipe:

Ingredients:    
One Panasonic CCTV Camera (slightly used and appropriately soiled - dug out of a gas station dumpster)  $000.000
50' cable with 2 BNC type connectors  WallyWorld    $6.96
1 BNC/RCA Adapter  Radio Shack    $5.99
1 24v AC Power Supply  Local Electronics Supply Store    $19.99

Total Cost (NOT including a couple of squirts of Windex to get all the crude off)  $32.94

Directions:
Take one used CCTV, remove surface crude, clean lens, inspect.

Add one 24v AC Power supply.

Add 50' coax cable w/BNC connectors.

Add BNC/RCA connector adapter.

Sit back, smile at your collection of parts and pieces.

Connect BNC connector to camera.

Connect 24v AC Power supply to camera.

Plug RCA adapter into "Video In" on TV /VCR /DVR and turn TV on.

Whoops...  Plug in 24v AC Power Supply and turn CCTV "On" and you should have a picture like this.

Adjust lens on camera for best picture (this camera has both aperture and focus adjustments).

Close up of mount (This one is for "suspended ceiling tile" rails).

The picture was really fuzzy and weak at first, wiped off more crude from the lens and gave the camera time to warm up a little and things got a lot better.  In the end, a very suitable image for a "dumpster cam".  The easier and much higher quality setup would be either the wired (coax and power supply) camera sold at WallyWorld for $39,96 or their "Wireless" version for about $70.00.  As soon as I get my hands on either (soon I hope) I'll post the setup on them.  Enjoy!

Tim.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:47:23 AM by timsuggs »

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:44 AM »
Tim, great one.  Love the pictures really puts the equipment into perspective.  (Is that you in the monitor  ;))

I have 5 similar cameras (2 with auto iris lenses) in a box at work along with an ancient 16 channel Mux and an early Sanyo hard drive based DVR recorder.  They came from our old building when we moved out of it 8 years ago and the boss told me to toss em or keep em.  Just need to get around to getting them worked into something. (I may use them for one of the installations i'm looking at doing in the next couple of months).

(I finally got 2 x 24volt  power Supplies last month so maybe i'll use them in the next application).  I had planned on setting up a complete system at home, one door camera, 1 parking/street camera, and 3 perimeter cameras, but I just never seem to have the time to run cable and punch holes through the walls and I don't want 8 power supplies to handle wireless connections for all the cameras around the house (not to mention the expense of the wireless adapters).

Still need to get a reel of coax and 8 or 10 BNC's to terminate it with.

If only I had the time. LOL

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
I'm still planning.  Waiting to hear the word back from the shop (on the car) before making any purchases. 
I want to invest in decent cameras.  What I use inside may change, but once I get them in place and powered up, I want a fairly decent picture.  That's why I need to know more about the specs so I can make an intellegent decision.  I guess with that I'm looking at a $75 +/-  range for each camera.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Whats the longest indoor distance you'll be covering?  Indoor is generally 20ft or less and even cheap cameras can work well.  You've got a good budget for outdoor cameras.  Also, cameras for outdoor are either already outdoor sealed or you will need a housing for them.  What kind of of weather do you have in your area?  Much below freezing or high humidity periods?

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 06:06:10 PM »
I plan to install these under the eves, so they should be out of direct weather.  It can get down below zero and up to 102 ish I suppose.

I don't have any immediate plans for indoor cameras.  I'm playing with the camcorder at the moment... actually I want to see which dog is getting on the couch when we're not home ;)

Our home has a good number of windows at 'deck' level.  They're good Anderson's, but its glass.  I want to see the driveway, since there isn't a good vantage point inside to see it and it would most likely be the point of intrusion.  There's no vehicular access at any other angle without a 4x4 or motorcycle (possible, but less likely). 

Another point that hasn't been mentioned.  I'm considering how to conceal the cameras.  My logic here is that if I'm the only house in the neighborhood with them, then I must have some good stuff.  On the other hand, if I'm the only one with them, then why mess with this one?  Plus  the dogs etc.  I want to make mine the most difficult to invade.