Author Topic: Need ideas on homestead security  (Read 4351 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
Need ideas on homestead security
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
Wife and I made an offer on an old homestead of several acres that backs up to a creek. Great views that look down to the creek along 400 feet of frontage. There is wire fencing on three sides of the property but not the creek side. On one side of the property is a heavily wooded property (600 feet) and across the creek is a heavily wooded property. A highway is within two miles of where the creek runs, and is within 30 minutes of a major city.
If we can jump all the other hurdles with buying the place, one concern I have is with security. Someone could walk along the creek from the highway or somewhere else and see our back yard, the back of the house. Planning to put up an electric fence along the back to keep deer from coming up and grazing, or at least around the garden areas. No trespassing signs. Will put up a fence along the back of the house to keep dog in. Plan to build up a stone wall where partial one is now and grow some perennials there. Planning to get security cameras, ones that have some night vision capability, with motion sensing, as well as getting some high powered binoculars (know ones with night vision are $$). I expect there to be a good amount of wildlife activity (deer, coyotes, racoons, etc.). What I want to keep out are the two legged kind. I don't have a Cadillac budget, but anyone have thoughts on types of security cameras or other ideas from a security standpoint?         

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Need ideas on homestead security
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »
Might try adding some additional plantings into the woods.  Even tall shrubs could block the view of your house.  Thorns may keep them waking right on by.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:02 AM »
On our place black berry brambles are our best line of security.  Keeps people and wildlife out.  Keeps our critters in.  Gives wild rabbit habitat.  That gives us meat and berries to eat.  They grow fast here and are free.  I know they wont work for most people but I sure love them.  So do the turkeys, chickens,  pigs and alpacas another plus food for our animals.   

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
How about MURS radios?  Jack talked about using them for security multiple times.  I've never used them, but they seem like a good use for them.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
Good tips. Will look into MURS.
I plan to plant perennials plants all around the property that will benefit me with food, etc.
As for the along the shore, cattails, maybe arrowhead, willow, but not too much for it to provide hiding areas for a person or become a haven for snakes. Need to look at other options as well, as I've never had a wet area to plan for. Wanting to focus on beneficial perennials. 
Have been watching videos by the Argentina guy on security. He provides some good general tips on bolstering home security. Besides having exterior doors and door frames bolstered (steel), grade 1 locks, alarms, thorny bushes around windows, security signs, motion activated lights, video cameras, burglar bars, he notes having gravel walkways near the house so that your dog can hear if someone is afoot.   

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »
I have a friend with 5+ acres that had the same issue, he has about 2+ acres with a large creek on one side. He has a dog but also got some really sweet signs made up. "DANGER No Trespassing Pistol & Rifle Shooting Range Area"

They are large about 2' across and he had a dozen or so made up, it actually is his shooting range area, he built up a raised perimeter about 4-5' with his backhoe and now it's all planted with trees on the side that fronts his house and the backside he seeded blackberry's...I wouldn't try going in there...it's a little overkill looking at it now...originally the signs were needed as meth heads had been in the area.

He's never had an issue, but doesn't hurt to be proactive

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:18:47 AM »
You should check out this site:

http://intelligentfencing.com/

Not to tell you too much, but I have a quote for a 10 foot high fence for 2500 linear feet ($16,000).  There's something psychological about contemplating how to get through an electric fence that looks like this:

I like this sign for it, but I'd remove the bulldog and put a tiger on it:

I like to shift the "burden of proof" to the bad guy.  Let him decide if I do in fact have an "active mine field" or "death ray".

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:23 AM »
flippydidit - I like it. I like it a lot! (except the price of course)

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »
That's on nice looking fence!  Our neighbors have one similar 4'?  They never have a problem with animals getting in or out.   Two or 4 legged. 

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »
Think of your property from a probability to consequence threat strategy, instead of going immediately to worse case scenario. 

From a probability standpoint a child, teenager, or inadvertant hunter meadering on your property is a medium threat.  The consequence of these tresspasses is nothing, and the overall risk low.  they simply see they are on private property and leave.  This is why your first thought on posting signs makes sense, to keep out stragglers. 

From a probability standpoint a criminal actively trying to steal, rob, or worse to you and your property is low.  The consequence of these type incidents is permanent loss of high dollar items, injury, or worse.  Even though from a probability standpoint the likelyhood is low, the consequence of those activities by the criminal put the risk high.  Knowing this risk and preparing for it brings strategy to play.

Think of your property similar to permaculture zones 1-4.  Instead of permaculture, we will call them security zones.  Take a look at your dwelling and determine where high dollar items are stored and used.  Also take a look at where the family spends the most time.  Label these two areas as zone 1.  They become the actual place where a crime scene could happen based on assessment.  Next label out zone 2 as areas where you have secondary high dollar items, and where the family frequently hangs out (but not as much as zone 1).  Zone 3 is where some items worth a little are stored, and where the family only occasionally goes and hangs out.  Zone 4 is a place where little to anything worth value are stored, and where the family seldom if at all goes.

In other words, turn zone 1 into a fortress where a criminal is very hard pressed to breach, and if they do, you can react.  Turn zone 2 into a hard target, but a determined criminal can get through while making a ton of noise (and takes some time to breach).  Turn zone 3 into a place to funnel a criminal through a narrow area that is difficult to negotiate and post secondary signs.  Finally turn zone 4 into a monitoring area. 

Zone 1-steel framed commericial grade steel doors with a codex locking system.  Your primary means of lethal defense is stored in zone 1. 

Zone 2 alarm system, solid core wood doors, secondary defense such as pepper spray, baseball bats, non-lethal defense, active cameras that record all the time. 

Zone 3 bushes, shrubs, electric fencing that make a determined criminal take a route that can be monitored by motion detected night vision cameras and MURs motion dection. This has a secondary benefit to canalize deer into paths that are monitored for tasty burgers.

Zone 4 signs, warnings, etc...

in other words, build from Zone 1 outward as you spend money over time.