Author Topic: Video Monitoring and Security  (Read 39942 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Video Monitoring and Security
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2010, 06:41:55 AM »
My apologies.  I have let this project drop as I've been too busy to keep up on it (or about a half dozen others).  I have 2 boxes of gear just laying around ready to be "Experimented" with but absolutely no time to do it.  I think I might see some daylight at the end of October though.  (Crap, just jinxed myself by saying that  :))

In the mean time, if anyone has questions or comments, I'd be happy to try to answer them as best I can.

Thanks

Doc

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »
I want to help... send me your gear and I'll figure something out.   :)

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
Saw a setup at Sam's Club yesterday.  3 cameras and a small video monitor/controller

It was very similar to this : http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-UDW20055-Wireless-Surveillance-System/dp/B002KFZSKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289429785&sr=8-2

The reviews did not look good.  But, I believe this is the format I'd like to have.  Wireless cameras (I have power in the attic to use) and an included small flat monitor.  I'd also like to access it via PC.  The price is about right at $300 with 3 cameras.

Or there is this one by Lorex (?)
http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-LW2702-Digital-Wireless-Surveillance/dp/B0032HMSIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289357791&sr=8-1

For about the same money.

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »
Wireless cameras are great in that you don't have to run data cables... but I don't like the fact that anyone with the right receiver can pick up the signal. In most cases, I'm sure its not a problem, but I still prefer to have my feeds kept private. Are there encrypted wireless cameras, or perhaps cameras that run over your wireless network using WEP or something similar?

........  But, I believe this is the format I'd like to have.  Wireless cameras (I have power in the attic to use) and an included small flat monitor.  I'd also like to access it via PC.  The price is about right at $300 with 3 cameras.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
Anyone with the ability and the intent to jam my video signal may as well walk in and take what they want.  Its all about risk assessment.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
Finished a couple other projects, currently looking to revive this one. 

I have a second PC with a two channel TV card.  I'm planning on running a cable (BNC connections with attached 12 volt power )  http://www.smarthome.com/76088/Swann-SW224-P61-US000-PRO-610-Wide-Angle-Night-Vision-Security-Camera-with-35-IR-LEDs/p.aspx

Still getting lost with the specs.  Plus, the PC I'm using is kinda limited, so its possible that I'll spend even more on upgrades.  I only need one camera now, but I'd like to expand.  Geez... like most projects, the more  I learn and read the loster I get. ;)

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
Ordered the camera(s) the other day, hopefully they'll be in tomorrow.
I've been testing BlueIris software with my webcam.  I need more ram in the PC, its an older Dell Dimension, but only  has 256M and the SW recommends a gig. 

Here's more of an open question rather than a technical one.  Why.  Why setup video monitoring.  I like the idea of having it 'just in case' something happens such as a trespasser or burglary, we'll at least have a good time stamp on it.  Whether the video will be useful or not in recovering the stuff or catching the bad guy who knows.  Either way it would be good to have.  If the neighborhood goes to hell, it would be good to be able to see intruders before they become burglars or home invaders, but its not like you're going to be sitting there waiting for something to happen.

The wife is a little creaped out about having cameras around.  She knows about the one I've been testing with, and she knows I'm putting one up outside to view the driveway. Truth is, I have a couple more also that where just a good deal.  I'm going to test them out and see how they look, if they're good enough, I may end up returning the higher end model.

Offline justanotherjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »
Foscam makes some decent affordable ip cams
http://www.foscam.com/

they are often counterfeited though so make sure you buy from a source they recommend. Just a side note.....pzt(pan, zoom, tilt) cameras are fun to play with but they never seem to be pointed at the right place at the right time.

Good call on zoneminder, I have zoneminder running on ubuntu at several business and have had great results....but it is a bandwith hog

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
Is your Ubunto/Zoneminder box committed to cams or is it a multitasker?    I have a windows box right now doing the job, but I'm limited to one camera (which is ok for now) If I end up using it often or if the crime rate starts going up I'll probably go for a specific DVR box.

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »
My son has zoneminder set up on a linux box and he runs 4 cameras.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »
My employer closed up a shop and asked if I wanted it.  PDVR-4300 with a single camera.  Not sure what kind yet.
This is the box.  I don't know anything about it yet. 
http://www.powertelecomm.com/product/standalone.html
http://www.hiwtc.com/products/dvr-pentaplex-4639-23665.htm

Is it worth setting up?  Worth selling?  Can't find much about it, it might be a bit old, but it is still a DVR.  What would you do with it?

Offline Tackleberry

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Teotwawki tribe
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »

If it works, I'd take it!
Even if it's only a single cam, you can dedicate it to your main area of concern.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2011, 11:18:08 PM »
Brought it home.  Set it up.  Seems to work great.  Single camera, but four channels.  It has a LAN port.  I wonder if I can direct my little wireless Linksys WVC80N camera to stream to one of the channels?  That could be cool.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »
Brought it home.  Set it up.  Seems to work great.  Single camera, but four channels.  It has a LAN port.  I wonder if I can direct my little wireless Linksys WVC80N camera to stream to one of the channels?  That could be cool.
Doubtful.  I don't believe these units have much 'customization'.  You can however access the controls and video via your LAN.  There are some pretty reasonable cameras out there that give you a decent picture.  Like most things, it runs quite a range of quality and expense depending what you're looking for.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
I've got a problem and need some help.

I've mounted the camera about 10-12 feet up, on the corner of the house and aimed the camera at the back patio capturing the back door because it is the most vulnerable (glass, sliding).  The camera has infrared.  At night, when the infrared turns on, I lose my picture.  The screen flickers with static.  The problem is that my wire is about 75 or 100 feet and DC doesn't travel well.  (that's one reason current is delivered to our homes in AC)  This is a 12 VDC camera.  When I bypass the long wire and plug the power directly into the camera, this problem does not occur.

I'm open to suggestions.  My thoughts:  I do not really need the full length of wire.  I could get by with about 20 feet, but I would rather not cut the wire shorter and re-terminate the ends or splice the wire.  It just seems wrong and there's no guarantee that this would solve the problem.

I could buy a different power adapter, re-terminate the end, and send 13 or 14 VDC, but I would likely be playing a guessing game at how loss is occurring and much current I would deliver at the far end.  (I guess I could get out the multimeter)

I'm sure someone else has a better idea.

Offline Tackleberry

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Teotwawki tribe
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
Could be a defective supply side in your wire. Your ohm meter will tell you.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2011, 09:03:58 AM »
I'm using an older version of this receiver (minus the camera)  (http://www.buy.com/prod/q-see-qswlocr-2-4-ghz-wireless-outdoor-camera-kit-with-receiver-20ft/q/loc/101/204849421.html)  I have one at each office location, but i'm going to be adding another 2 or 3 cameras when we restructure our building and i'll want to pick up a multichanel receiver to replace them with.

This has been running hands off with no user intervention for 3 years now without a glitch. 

This type of camera and receive would fit me needs perfectly (I need to be able to monitor a live camera of my front door) however I noticed for the camera you mentioned that a lot of people have had problems with this unit interfering with their wireless internet connection.  Seems to be specific to the 2.4 GHz operating frequency since other cameras I've looked at with this frequency range have similar comments from users.  Is there a way around this or can you recommend a camera similar to this one but which operates at a different frequency?

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
I did have a little interference on the 2.4 gig wireless when it rolled channels (would slowly degrade signal after about 72 hours and need to be power cycled to clear), Might have been the old Linksys 54G,  I replaced it 2 weeks later with a Netgear WG102 series and pushed the netgear up to higher channels.  (12 seemed to do the trick nicely) and have not had any problems with it at all since then. 

I have since pulled these cameras out after a surge fried both cameras in a thunderstorm (Suspected lighting strike) earlier this year.  I have not replaced them yet as we are considering an upgraded system and 4 to 8 new cameras which will have to be a budget item for next year.

Hope that helps.   

Doc

Offline KSDeputy

• Prepper
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
I have been wanting an affordable wireless system, and like Mr. Greene saw the Uniden system at Sam's for $ 300. It comes with 3 cameras and can use only one more. The extra cam costs $ 100. I bought a smaller system with one camera, to see my gate from the house. I  put the camera in the window, but the gate was 250' away and it was just too far. I took it back. The newer system has two outside cameras, and one inside camera. I have electricity at the gate and could put the camera there. The problem is we live on a dusty gravel road. I would have to constantly be cleaning the lens on both of the outside cameras, even though they are in a plastic enclosure. This would be the case with whatever camera I chose, if it is mounted outside. Panasonic makes a much more expensive wireless system. They have a free website so you can call in and actually see what the cameras are seeing. It would cost 3x-4x what the Uniden system costs. I will keep watching for newer more sophisticated systems as they develop, I have not yet found what I want yet. At least what I want and can afford. My place is very well lighted at night with HP sodium lights, and pir switched white flood lamps on each corner of the house. If anyone finds the ideal, affordable system for a rural application, please let us know.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
I have been wanting an affordable wireless system, and like Mr. Greene saw the Uniden system at Sam's for $ 300. It comes with 3 cameras and can use only one more. The extra cam costs $ 100. I bought a smaller system with one camera, to see my gate from the house. I  put the camera in the window, but the gate was 250' away and it was just too far. I took it back. The newer system has two outside cameras, and one inside camera. I have electricity at the gate and could put the camera there. The problem is we live on a dusty gravel road. I would have to constantly be cleaning the lens on both of the outside cameras, even though they are in a plastic enclosure. This would be the case with whatever camera I chose, if it is mounted outside. Panasonic makes a much more expensive wireless system. They have a free website so you can call in and actually see what the cameras are seeing. It would cost 3x-4x what the Uniden system costs. I will keep watching for newer more sophisticated systems as they develop, I have not yet found what I want yet. At least what I want and can afford. My place is very well lighted at night with HP sodium lights, and pir switched white flood lamps on each corner of the house. If anyone finds the ideal, affordable system for a rural application, please let us know.

I just saw a solar panel, gate relay, and intercom system on sale (Clearance) at Lowes yesterday.  I did not spend much time looking, but it looks like a complete kit, with each part sold separately.  You could buy just the solar panel to provide power at the gate.  Of course, you could take the fancy approach and buy a motorized security gate, keypad-secured, etc.

A little Rain-X will help reduce the number of times you need to clean the lense.  If the lenses still get too dirty, you can try to enclose them in a box, but slant the window side down toward the ground so that the dust does not have a surface on which to settle.  The globe style enclosures solve the dust problem also.  You see these on ceilings within stores.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
Invested in an eight camera Lorex system from Costco. I am impressed with video quality in day and night. Have cameras covering Front, back, and the one side with vehicles. Need to mount last three, two of those will cover the remaining perimeter. Question is should I have an internal camera or use the final one to catch traffic on the road?  I am leaning toward the road while it will be covering public space it is more likely to catch someone casing the place. Interior cam seems to be to little to late.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
One thing that can be handy, Point your recording device to a portable hard drive hidden deep inside the house somewhere.   Then put at least one camera in a central location that will catch traffic as the crooks move around the house.  This may help identify the crooks (more details etc) and help get your stuff back if it is stolen.    I would expect any skillful crook to consider cameras and look for and take with them the main recording box and any any computers they find (An attempt to remove video evidence).  But if you network the device, you can used any attached storage device on the network to store the video (or even a copy of the video).  They may find and take the computers, but if they don't trace down all network connected devices, they won't find the external hard drive.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
The DVR is separated from the computer and hidden. So that it will not be an item that is easy to take. Good idea to push the alarm video that is recorded to the separate  destination.

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »
Below is al link to another thread on TSP that is related to this one.  I discussed a family of Axis products that some of you may find compatible with your goals.  They do work with ZoneMinder (I don't use it though).  I am moving to a new home in North Texas in about three weeks, so I will be installing a new system in it soon.  I already have the gear, but getting the family settled in and a garden bed prepared will top the list of things to do. 

My system will be a wired/802.11 hybrid IP system with at least 8 cameras, email notification of motion in areas where there should be no motion with attached still images of what was in motion.  When I am done, I may be able to write up a "what I did" thing if anyone is interest.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=37172.msg423851#msg423851

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
My 2 cents:
Put your nice cameras on the outside.  Put a cheap, networked, webcam inside.  Set up the motion sensor feature of the webcam to point toward your DVR, SAN, or valuables.  Send email alerts to a Google email address.  Set up a specific alert/alarm on your smart phone.  Even if you do not have a smart phone, you will have pics of the thief on a Google account, rather than a local drive that can go bad or be stolen.

I did this while selling my previous house.  We had three kids and did not like the "four hour window" that the realtors wanted.  Phone beeped from motion detector (with pics) and I knew that we would go home in 20 minutes rather than 3 hours later.  (The realtors would not provide the courtesy of a phone call when done showing the house.)