Author Topic: Sangean MMR-77  (Read 11665 times)

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
Sangean MMR-77
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »
I just bought one of these. I received a gift card from Wal-Mart for Christmas. I had trouble deciding what exactly I was going to get and was browsing their web page last night and saw that Wal-mart has an Emergency Preparedness section. I clicked on it and started looking around. I found this radio so I started researching.

http://www.sangean.com/products/products_main.asp?pid=22&pan=12&um=3

It is only AM/FM, but I feel that local stations provide pretty good info here in bad weather (plus I also have 2 analog scanners, 1 800 trunked scanner, and an emergency weather radio). It does not have shortwave, but I am slowly in the process of getting my HAM, so I will eventually be able monitor that on a HAM radio. Most reviews were very positive. None seemed to be function problems, just suggestions for improvements.

This is being bought as an emergency radio in case of the loss of power, as well as a portable radio for outings.

I will give a review after having it for a while and let you know what I think.

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
Re: Sangean MMR-77
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:27:37 AM »
I have had the Sangean MMR-77 for a couple of months so I'll post a quick review.

The radio came in a commercially marked cardboard box. Inside the box was a cardboard insert that held the radio away from the edges keeping it protected from edge drops and possibly some object penetration inside the box. also in the box was the limited warranty, the users manual, and the wrist strap.

After removing the radio, I found it heavier than expected, I'm sure that is due to the dynamo. My first surprise was that on the end with the dynamo they have protruded rubber through the holes on the front of the radio giving it a non-slip feel. having grabbed the radio and walked out the door with one hand I was very appreciative of the rubber grips. It also has rubber feet on the bottom to keeps it securely seated from small vibrations and tilts.

Now this is a 2-band FM-AM receiver and nothing else. Located on the right side is the tuning knob is large and easy to turn making it easy to fine tune. The volume knob lso on the right side is smaller and a little touchy for my liking.

There is a light feature located on the front, It also turns the back lighting on the tuner. The light is a halogen and leaves a lot to be desired, however a second green halogen does a good job of back lighting the tuners.

The FM/AM tuner selector is located on top of the radio and is an over sized large toggle switch. I like it, It is quickly located if your using the radio in low light or darkness. Also located on the top of the radio is an emergency button. Once depressed it makes a quite annoying chirping sound. I'm sure that if an emergency it could provide a search party with the last few yards of finding your location. The Dynamo handle is also located on top. It flips up to the left, on the far end is a rotating knob that is much nicer than a stationary knob that your fingers are expected to rotate on other radios. When folded down it slightly recesses into the top of the radio and locks using a small nipple/depression on the side of the handle.

the back of the radio houses the telescoping antenna. When in storage the antenna is held in place by slight pressure applied by two ears protruding from the back panel. Closed the antenna is approx. 3 inches. Extended the antenna is approx 10 inches. The antenna rotates and spins giving you a lot of positions to try to get your best reception. Also on the back in the selector for the Battery/Dynamo. It is the same style over sized toggle switch as found on the AM/FM selector. The battery access door is also on the back and is hinged to the radio so you don't lose it. The radio takes 2 AA batteries. There is a wirst strap provided that attaches to the right lower corner of the radio.

The users manual is clear and concise, The English version is 6 of the 37 pages.

It does have a 3V DC plug in if you wanted to plug it into the wall. It also has a 2.5mm earphone jack. I tried the earphone jack with a cheap set of Sony earphones and it worked fine.

It is advertised as water resistant, I'm sure it would withstand a light drizzle or a spill, but I wouldn't leave it outside in a downpour. There would be several places that water could get into if enough water was present. 

I have run two run tests:
 Battery - I loaded the radio with two AA alkaline Duracell batteries. The radio ran for over two weeks continuously.

Dynamo - I charged the dynamo with the recommended 1 minute of charging at 120 rotations per minute. (2 rotations per second)
I ended up with 6 days of continuous use by doing this. Now I'm sure that over time the dynamo will not last that long, but I was quite impressed with the first use.

I have been very impressed with the radios reception and have used it several times for entertainment. I have luckily not had to use it in a survival/emergency setting yet.

This is a home/car radio. It weighs 250 grams and is approx. 6.5"x3.5"x2", so I wouldn't take it on a long hike

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Offline Gabriël

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Sangean MMR-77
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:45:04 AM »
Hello,
i read your review for Sangean mmr 77 with a lot of interest . You post this review in 2010 and i am currious if the hand crank is still charging the battery. Actually i would like to buy the same radio to have it for a long time - for example  10 years . I'm looking forward to hearing from you. P.S. - maybe you have some tips for a very good survival radio . Kind regards, Gabriel