Author Topic: generator noise  (Read 3217 times)

trackape

generator noise
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:42:25 AM »
I did not do a search to see if this has been covered ........
But has anyone been successful in quieting their generator?

I changed the oil in mine today ( well yesterday ) and ran it for awhile ( using a fridge as a load ) .
I ran some short errands and noticed the noise coming from the garage when I returned.
Anyone have a fix that worked??

thanks

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: generator noise
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:03:25 AM »
I used to work on generators in the Air Force. We had TQG's (tactical quite generators) which was pretty much the same as the older models, but were the enclosure had a foam type noise insulation, and some type of quieter muffler, but that's been about 12 years, so I don't remember a whole lot about them. I guess you could probably build a small enclosure out of plywood and staple or glue foam insulation on the inside, but would somehow have to insure you got airflow in, and exhaust out.

I don't know what kind of generator you have, but my dad once put a lawnmower (or maybe a small car muffler) on a louder one he had.

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:13:28 AM »

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »
In the army we would sandbag it. Build a wall  2 bags thick all the way around it and about 18 inches taller then your genny. Not real tightly around it, you want to leave some room to move and for air flow. A piece of plywood over the top with a few sandbags on top to prevent vibration or to keep the wind from blowing it off and you are in business. Its not a permanent solution but it will reduce the noise considerably. I would like to have a permanent muffler upgrade like dirt rider 3006 but I would still bag mine in if the situation were serious. It protects your  other gear if your genny burns down/blows up and keeps the wrong people from being jealous of your electricity.

trackape

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
Thanks guys.
 I don't know how I did not remember DR3006's post (it was so well done ) .

I only have 6.5k (5k cont) genny on wheels from Home depot so I can move it around ...and I have loaned
it to a buddy when Hammond had their outage sometime back.

I'll have to work on getting bags for sand....the sand I can get free  :) . I have been saving old rice bags :) ,
but I don't have what I will need.  I would need to make access to it to start and service ......and not too much trouble
to move it I had to.