Author Topic: History Lesson  (Read 1835 times)

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
History Lesson
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
Lots of lessons about history, but there are some things of historic note that are not in history books per se. It depends on the type of book you define as a history book.

This is what I mean.

I post on a few different sites. One that was started by a gentleman a short time back is a popular site for prepared individuals and others of like mind. I was
 posting a thought on starting a journal and writing about things in general and snips of news of the day for possible historic events  after a SHTF event.
He posted this  question of why wait ?  Why not start one and keep track of events before, during ( if one happened ), and after. Starting now, entries would be preps made and gathered, and then if TSHTF the entries would be of use of preps and skills, and after would come again with each new entry.

So I started a journal, and made entries starting Labor Day Weekend 2008. For the most part, I make a lot of entries on a daily basis, but sometimes there are gaps of sometimes up to a week at points since I started. I do have a life of sorts. I still keep puting entries into it.
Everything I do for preps or even don't do at times. Some may not even be considered a form of preps by some folks, while others can see them clearly.

To better understand what I mean, here is a glimpse of the things I enter.

A short time after I started the thing, we got hit with a wind storm that was the remnant of Hurricane Ike as it made it's way North. Over 600,000 customers were left without power for anywhere from 3-10 days from all the downed trees and power lines. I have entries about our days of being without it, as well as other family members that prep. I have days where all I did for the day was read some posts and sites on the computer. Other days I had nothing............. still I keep on writing. One day I buy some food, another some gear. One day I get a link from an Email from a friend, another I get a heads up that a local gun show is coming to town.

Still I keep on entering new stuff.

Some folks that know I keep a journal don't think much about it. I still do it because it helps in a way to keep me focused on my preps and gaining new skills.  ;D
My son may look back on these some day and recall his memories of that time. Who knows ? Maybe some day a future historian may find it and wonder about the writer and the times. Or.......it may end up as dust in the middle if some long forgotten road in the middle of nowhere.

Makes no difference to me. It helps me stay focused here, and now.

Each time I enter a page or two, it becomes a part of history, and I never did think much about it in school, but now I sit up and take notice. I don't want to be one of the huddled masses that is doomed to repeat  history.

One of my most recent entries was about getting some of " The Ant Stickers " from jeremya.
I was so stoked to get them and to be prepping and all the other things that I do, that I was inspired, and I put that inspiration to words and I want to share it with everyone that  is now, and will be in the future, preparing for bad times if they come.
I was a Boy Scout when I was a kid. I've been one deep down ever since. Our Motto is.......Be Prepared. If you prep, then good for you. ;D  If you don't yet, START NOW !!!  :o  You have an obligation to your family and to yourself to do this. Even if you don't have a family per se, you have some real good friends here that you just have not met.......at least not yet at this time, but stick around.

SO....... The History Lesson.............Hope you enjoy it. ;D

I looked into the past and saw the suffering, I looked and I saw the pain.
I worked so that we would not endure this, and my work was not in vain.

Times are bad, some of the worst I've ever seen, folks are starving even now.
Some blame the Government, some blame God, but they all keep asking.....HOW ??

Yes.....How could this have happened to us ?  Why didn't we see it come ?
We could have gone somewhere, done something about it, but now there's nowhere to run.

I told folks that they should be ready, I did not preach or rant.
And now they are the silly grasshopper, and I am the smart little ant.