Author Topic: 23 Things REAL Burglars Know  (Read 48837 times)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: 23 Things REAL Burglars Know
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 02:48:17 AM »
He would kick in the door and then listen.  If he heard movement inside or voices, he'd just leave.  If he didn't hear anything, he'd move in and check each room cautiously.

That's a good post and quite a good bit of interesting information, however, I find the one comment above to be intriguing as it sounds like an amazing game of Russian roulette. What are the chances that, after barging in, the next sound he MAY hear would be a loud bang?

Offline TigerDragon

• Prepper
  • Observation, Awareness, Planning, Action
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
That's a good post and quite a good bit of interesting information, however, I find the one comment above to be intriguing as it sounds like an amazing game of Russian roulette. What are the chances that, after barging in, the next sound he MAY hear would be a loud bang?

Considering his loot of choice was guns... yeah, I agree.  But that's how he operated.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
People need to remember that the 2nd floor of your house is normally very vulnerable.  Just because it is high off the ground, people often forget about locking the windows or not having security measures installed.  I have been to multible house that have been broken into from the upstairs windows.  just walk around your house and ask your self if I locked my self out how can I get in I bet there is a door or a window that you normally over look.  If you have a tree close to your house or leave ladders outside you are helping the guy thats breaking into your house.

When I was little, and forgot my key at home, I'd get inside by taking an old wooden ladder we had to the second story bathroom window, and I would pop it open. I must have done that a dozen times.

An old friend of mine had his place burglarized several times, until one time he was home and caught the kid doing it red-handed, his VCR in hand. Pete, who had been a heavy duty mechanic for 30 years at the time, broke both of the kid's arms, then took pity on him by driving him to the hospital, and told him he'd kill him if he ever saw him around his place again. He never had a problem with crime since. I guess word got around...

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 01:13:22 AM »
Burglary sounds like more of a hassle than going to work. I think ill keep my dayjob.

Ha! thanks Spamity for my 1st real belly laugh in a while. I think I "guffawed" technically.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
Before #2 and I started dating he had his old place broken into and they only took his new plasma TV. After some discussion he came to the conclusion that it was an inside job as he had just had a large party and many people, some whom he did not know, were in the house generally unmonitored. Just goes to show that you never can tell. Now that we have relocated to the homestead we can take more aggressive protective measures.

Son_of_the_Republic

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
Been a spate of day-time burgalries in my area (Western NY) in recent days.It's a fairly rural location but not too far from some good sized towns but I hear these things are on the rise.Cleary they are scoping properties were folk are out at work.I guess it's less suspicious to approach a property during day-light hours.Apparently they have been working in groups of 2,1 clears a path through the house to the door where a waiting buddy loads up the get away vehicle.I work from home but am going away for a week or so later 2day.I shall be brining my guns and lap-top with me.Properties just a few roads down have been hit. Also properties with long drives are a better prospect for these people.Less nosey passer-by incidents I guess.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »
When I was a kid who often forgot his keys, I'd get in through the basement window. They were just secured with a small bolt in some old wood. A little quick "persuasion" with my foot and they'd pop open. My dad finally got around to securing them a little better (unknown to me the next time I forgot my key). When I tried my trick to get in the next time I ended up breaking the glass (which I got in trouble for). However, broken glass or not I still got in in a matter of seconds.
If a grade school / early high school kid can figure out how to get in that easily, I'd imagine someone with a little more experience can do the same or better.
Based on that I've secured my basement windows much better than the ones from my youth.

Offline BrianSTL

• Prepper
  • ACTUAL poster of 'Change' posted in Chinatown, SF
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I owned a home that was burglarized and since that time, I have taken off the trim around the door and bolstered the area around where the deadbolt goes in with more wood, 4 inch screws so that they embed themselves into the studs, and have thorn bushed below the windows.

Last month my next door neighbor locked himself out of his house, and I observed the locksmith 'blow' through his lock with a pick device inside of 20 seconds.

Looks like I need to buy kids toys for the back yard!

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
Interesting article about a master thief...long read but good!

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/03/ff_masterthief_blanchard

Too bad he had to ruin his thief credibility by going into the credit card scam business.

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
That article kinda reminds me of "Catch Me if You Can"

If you've only seen the movie and not read the book, I  highly recommend it.  It seemed that in the movie they toned some of the stuff Abignale got away with to make it more believable.

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:14 PM »
Just be sure you can lock that door between the house & garage. If you can't, unplug the opener & use the manual lock on the garage door.

I put a switch in next to the garage door button and wired it to the opener.  When I pull in and close the door, I switch the power off to the door opener.  There is no need to have the door powered when everyone is home.  It stops the "phantom power draw" and saves about 15kWh each year.

Offline Tackleberry

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Teotwawki tribe
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »
I put a switch in next to the garage door button and wired it to the opener.  When I pull in and close the door, I switch the power off to the door opener.  There is no need to have the door powered when everyone is home.  It stops the "phantom power draw" and saves about 15kWh each year.

Great idea. +1
Had not thought about that.
I love all the ideas this forum has to offer.

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 07:35:35 AM »
A burglar doesn't necessarily have to case a home to realize what may be kept inside.  They can watch you and yours away from home.  For example, when you or a family member leaves home and goes out shopping, burglars can pick you as their target, to follow back home.  One way they sum up what you may have in your home is by the clothing your wear.  Baseball caps, tee shirts, logo patches on garments that advertise a club you belong to, perhaps what your favorite sport is, or even the fact that you are a gun owner  (GOT SIG).  Kids wear clothes advertising game systems that are the latest, most favorite, and definitely most expensive.  Ladies, do you have to have the most expensive garb and jewelry to do your grocery shopping?  Come on, do you have to use a Gucci or Fossil handbag just to run to the store?  Are you trying to impress your friends you hang with, or will you be the next fish on a stranger's line as a target.  Sure, go home and start unloading the groceries alone.  Are you really going to lock the house door each time you take a bag in and go back to the car to get the next one? 

How many homeowners place a sign on a gate that says, "Don't worry about the dog, worry about the owner and it displays a big picture of a handgun."  Oh sure, let's advertise what we have in our home.  So, how many folks here advertise that they are NRA members with bumper stickers, or paste some sticker in a vehicle window that shows what club or group membership you have, perhaps to a gun club?  Its like setting off an alarm that tells the criminals where you frequent (so they watch you), what your sporting habits are (so they know when you go hunting, or bowling, etc., and your family will be alone and vulnerable), and they know you have guns without ever getting near your home.  So they follow you around and then you become a victim or statistic.

Sometimes our own vanity or pride sets us up for the fall.  We should be aware of our own weaknesses, as much as we are the weaknesses in our homes.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
Last fall there were some strange brakeins out side of town , truned out the trash truck  puller was the spoter .
and if he left the can down thay fallowed and hit the place. 1 in side guy 1 load out guy.
inside guy just found and layed out on the table for the outside guy to pick the best.
was working out well untill granny left the great peraniese inside the house .
they just walked up a kicked the door in. and out came puff .

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 11:26:59 PM »
This thread is depressing me. I hate that decent people have to go to so much trouble and expense to protect from a few scumbags (who are probably out on parole for the umpteenth time after their latest wrist slap). Love the story of the Great Pyrenese encounter, those critters are born to protect. Bet that made a mess in Granny's parlor.   :D

Now I'm trying to think of anyone in our canyon who actually locks their doors and I'm coming up blank. Honestly, I'd bet most of us would have trouble even locating our door keys - I have no idea where mine are. Guess that's pretty dumb, but it's norm around here.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
im the big mean redneck around here. so i lock the door at night because of my girls.
but not when we leave the house ,only when we leave town for the week end.
then the fun who's got a key?
locks only keep honest people honest.
how do they get rid of all that stuff, must be hard up . sounds like work to me.
there's an old saying "that stolen water is alwase sweeter"?  i dout it.
small town life , i leave money in the registor and hand out keys to friends,i dont worry about it,
if we look out for our friends they look out for us.
Getting in a house isnt hard getting away is another thing.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »
Here's something I learned last weekend from a buddy who was having his garage door fixed after a burglary attempt. They forced the top center of the garage away from the header and used a coat hanger/slimjim/similar tool to fish the rope and handle of the disconnect over the top of the garage door. They pulled it but were surprised when the door only went up 6inches because of the padlock on the door track. His was luckier than his neighbor who after just having his house redone, was cleaned out over a weekend.
My buddy cut the disconnects off and wire tied them so they cant be used except from inside the garage. His garage has access to the house which is alarmed

Watch those garage doors!!

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
Here's something I learned last weekend from a buddy who was having his garage door fixed after a burglary attempt. They forced the top center of the garage away from the header and used a coat hanger/slimjim/similar tool to fish the rope and handle of the disconnect over the top of the garage door. They pulled it but were surprised when the door only went up 6inches because of the padlock on the door track. His was luckier than his neighbor who after just having his house redone, was cleaned out over a weekend.
My buddy cut the disconnects off and wire tied them so they cant be used except from inside the garage. His garage has access to the house which is alarmed

Watch those garage doors!!
I had a buddy lose all of his tools this way. (We suspect it was his lowlife cousin who just so happened to work installing garage doors that did it). Once I found out how easy it was to get in a garage this way, I took the pull cord off of my door. If I'm planning on going away on vacation, I might consider the padlock in the track just as some added insurance.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 05:32:35 PM »
That's who he suspects tried his house and robbed his neighbors, the last thing done was the garage doors and one of the keypads for the alarm is on the jamb of one of the garage doors. Someone probably watched them type in the alarm code

Hate to be that way but you haf to watch everyone that does work for you

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »
They forced the top center of the garage away from the header and used a coat hanger/slimjim/similar tool to fish the rope and handle of the disconnect over the top of the garage door.

My cousin is a firefighter and he told me that that is exactly the way they get into garages to fight the fire.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2010, 07:48:08 PM »
the old electric key type garage door lock were put on with 2 little nails ,you just pry the cover out and cross the conections .
up she went. at one time i could pick a lock in a flash, had some fun putting possums in tool boxs at work.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
My cousin is a firefighter and he told me that that is exactly the way they get into garages to fight the fire.
I've heard that. I am willing to trade a very small risk of a firefighter not being able to open my door easily to fight a fire for the bigger reward of better security.

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »
I've heard that. I am willing to trade a very small risk of a firefighter not being able to open my door easily to fight a fire for the bigger reward of better security.

Yup - me too.  They can ram the side door for all I care if they are responding to a fire.

I should have mentioned that I removed the pull cord from the quick release based on my cousin's recommendation.  I fabricated a hook out of some round stock and keep it nearby in case it's needed.

I also cut the power to the garage door openers while we are at home or if we are going to be away for several days.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »
I believe ITS Tactical had a great blog post about how easy of access pull cords on garage doors provide. They also make a couple of suggestions about securing them.

Mike

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »
Working under the reasonable assumption that the average Prepper is of above average intelligence, try this.  Try to break into your own home.  Don't tell the family (but don't risk getting yourself shot by your kinfolk either) and don't plan it ahead of time.  Just one day out of the blue, try to break in.  If you find a way to do it, you have a problem.

Seriously folks.  Doing this is just an exercise in trying to get inside the head of a potential threat.  We do this all the time as a matter of course (or we should be).  It is just a reversal of roles.  Instead of trying to figure out how to stop a threat, we change sides against ourselves and try to be the threat that is trying to get around or through our security measures.

You might be surprised by what you learn.  Also bear in mind that you are as smart as any "non-professional" thief and more so than most.  Also bear in mind that you are not likely ever to be matching wits with a true professional thief unless your possessions include the sort of things that would be found at a Southerby's auction.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2010, 06:40:35 AM »
Working under the reasonable assumption that the average Prepper is of above average intelligence, try this.  Try to break into your own home.  Don't tell the family (but don't risk getting yourself shot by your kinfolk either) and don't plan it ahead of time.  Just one day out of the blue, try to break in.  If you find a way to do it, you have a problem.

I've thought about this, but by breaking into your own home you are at a disadvantage vs. a burglar. Does someone who wants into my house care if I have to replace a broken window or busted door frame? I mean if you're just checking to make sure there are no unlocked doors or windows to slip into then you're fine, but I can't see doing actual damage to my house trying this.
I think the only way to do this is half real exercise half mental exercise. Test what you can, but when it comes to the destructive stuff you're going to just have to use your imagination on where your weaknesses are. Personally I've got a few areas of my house that I feel are somewhat vulnerable, but I don't think I'd be able to break in without actually breaking in.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
We where robbed when I was a kid, and we lived in the country. 

I like the idea of making MY home less attractive than the neighbor's. 

What about storing valuables in grocery packaging?  I can't imagine a thief going through the pantry.
I'm more concerned about the 'home invasion' scenario than a burglery.  I keep the doors locked all the time so at least they'll have to make noise to get in and it will slow them down long enough to 'prepare'.

LOL you obviously never watched the show others were referencing "It Takes a Thief" or whatever it was called.

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
I have heard of people north of me having their cabins broken into with a chainsaw. They just cut the door up or go through a wall and they are in. Not sure how to prevent such a thing. Much of the security is taking care of the place you live in by keeping it up and showing that someone cares about it.

Offline Jeremiah J

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Hell bent on staying alive!
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »
Just visiting my place might get you a dirt nap.   There are no drive by's.  There's no just trying to sell this or that... if you made it this far, you are seriously looking for trouble... or more likely night hunting or poaching.  The few 'accidental's' that have made it down here got the third degree, license plate checks, driver's license number written down... and also found out where they lived.  If they were night hunting they got the fear of death put on them.

My cousin has guard dogs a mile up the dirt road from me... her dogs start barkin, and my guard dogs start barking, then the littler dogs start barking... there is no 'sneaking' up here... if I'm home, I greet them armed.  Step out of the vehicle without me to restrain the 90 something pound dogs, and one or the other of the pack is liable to take out some neck meat.  They're not gun shy, so a bad guy would need to shoot fast, and have plenty of reloads...

We're also on a burglar's nightmare.... a one way road... one way in, same way out... I've actually turned around out on the main highway, when I saw people that I didn't recognize, heading down the road leading to my road... if they made the right decision and took the left, no biggie, they were headed to a well location... take the right, they got some 'splaining to do.  Woe be to him caught leaving with a truckload of booty...

After the shtf, or if teotwawki comes, I think the presence of a hanging scarecrow (fake in the beginning, but anatomically correct, wrapped in a sheet, with rotting meat for effect.... and later on, if necessary, a real corpse) might discourage thieves.

I use to know all the thieves in the area, on a rough basis... I let it be known that if anything whatsoever happened bad down here, I'd come to 'see' them first... and they wouldn't see me.  For some reason, they always veered wide of me and mine...

I live in very similar circumstances, except for all the dogs. One way in, same way out. If you're on my road or in my driveway, you better have a damn good reason to be there, or become lead proof real quick.

I was gone from my place for a large period of time. It was broken into, trashed, and probably picked over by any number of people over a long period of time.
The stuff I left behind was of no large value, and most of it, except things like photos and stuff was easily replaced. The worst part was that they left the doors wide open.
Upon my return, every living thing in the desert had moved into, and crapped in the house. Anything that could be chewed on by rats and mice was. I literally went through the house and threw almost every single thing away including my bed.

I then had to strip the house and take a power washer to the interior.

Long story short, the wife and I spent quite awhile getting the place back together and livable again.

But back to the point.

I am willing to kill any person I ever catch breaking in or stealing from me in the future. Period.

Moderator Note: Illegal acts will not be discussed on this forum.

What I am considering for the gate realistically is making up some headstones with some forms and cement. I'll make four.
At the gate there will be 3 mounds of dirt with headstones numbered 1,2, and 3. The fourth headstone will be marking and empty grave.
There will be a small sign on the gate that says, now serving, along with a tag #4.

Anyways, I've done a number of things to the place to help protect it, and my main theme is to make entry and theft a royal pita.

I've even gone so far as to put locks and hasps on doors that don't open.

Damn GTG....more later!

Edited to remove statements referring to illegal activities.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:22:25 PM by TexDaddy »

Offline Saber19

• Prepper
  • Native Homesteader
    • Native Homesteading Blog
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
I love these threads. Know your enemy, friends...
There is a ton of good info here.