Author Topic: Bottle Carriers  (Read 4476 times)

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
Bottle Carriers
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:49:07 PM »
A while back I saw these in one of the Emergency Essentials catalogs. before I had a chance to buy them, I noticed that they were no longer inthe next one that I got from them.
I called their customer service number, and the girl that I talked to said they were sold out and that they would not be getting any more. :'(

They were one of the neatest little gadgets that I had seen for camping and survival in quite some time.
They are a plastic or metal clip that slides just under the neck of a soda or water bottle, and has a nylon strap fastened to it, and a small carabiner on the other end to attach to your belt or backpack to carry the bottle filled with your favorite liquid refreshment.  ;D

Started to look around and see if I could find them somewhere else.
After about a month or two, I just happened to be in the local  SUPER WALLY WORLD checking out some gear in the sporting goods department, when lo and behold THERE THEY WERE !!!  ;D

They are less than $2 each. They fit both the standard bottles as well as the 2 liter bottles.
I got everyone here a couple, and I plan on getting a few more for us, as well as a few for some frinds and family as Christmas stocking stuffers.  :)

One or two of these, a clean 2 liter soda bottle or two, a bit of duct tape, and viola'.....we don't need no fancy canteens or woopie doo hydration packs !

YEP.......for the price of a G.I. 2qt. canteen and the cover for it, I can carry 2-2 liter bottles of water on the outside of my pack, and with a couple strips of duct tape, keep them secure and quiet.  8)
want to see the math ?

2 bottle clips ............. $ 4.00  aprox.

2- 2 liter soda bottles....  2.00    soda on sale for  $ .99 / 2 liter
                                _______
                                $ 6.00    TOTAL

No shipping or handling charges, no week to ten days for delivery.

There you go, 4 liters of water......aprox. 7-8 lbs. in weight. Not to bad if you don't mind  recycling a bit of material that would have gone to the curb.  ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Bottle Carriers
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:18:02 AM »
Yeah, but you won't look cool doing it.

Everybody'll be like "what the hell does that guy have duct taped to his back"? ;D

They'll think you're some sort of "Water Rocketeer". :P

millerized1

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:13:40 AM »
Walk realllllly slowly and tell them you're transporting Nitro-Glycerin....and that they should move away very slowly.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
In a survival or SHTF situation.......who cares how the things looks ?  You still have 4LITERS OF WATER, more if you can carry it.
Besides.......if you want to spend the extra money and get a couple of 2qt. G.I. canteens with matching covers, or a brand new CamelBak hydration pack in the latest camo pattern, go right ahead, this is America, you're allowed.  :) At least for the moment.  ;)
I'm not an independently wealthy man.  I have no problem with folks going for the "Bling" factor with their preps, but I can think of a lot of other things that I could spend the money on for preps, with the difference between my water carry, and the canteens or the hydration pack.  ;D

Now days, you have to watch your spending on ALL your purchases. If This means looking like someone from a MAD MAX film that scrounged up whatever they could find for puting their safe drinking water in, then that will be me.
The point being, I still have a few liters of drinking water that I can carry quite easily, and I spent a lot less for my transport containers, than the guys who go the canteen and the hydration pack route.  8)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:16:21 AM by DIM TIM »

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »
Walk realllllly slowly and tell them you're transporting Nitro-Glycerin....and that they should move away very slowly.

I scared the crap out of the guy in the office next to me. I may have injured my spleen laughing.

One of the benefits of camel back and other hydro paks are they put the weight of the water close to the body. The farther out from the centerline (your spine), the more the weight is going to effect you.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 08:47:25 AM »
Recycling pop bottles has been done for a long time by the ultra-light backpackers.  The empty weight of a nalgene, a clean canteen or even a GI canteen are WAY more heavy than an empty pop bottle.  Also, when that pop bottle is empty, you can squish it down creating more room in your pack.  This might come in handy if you have to bug out on foot.

tash

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
Yeah, but you won't look cool doing it.

Everybody'll be like "what the hell does that guy have duct taped to his back"? ;D

They'll think you're some sort of "Water Rocketeer". :P

damn you guys crack me up... my sides hurt

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 10:56:58 AM »
And the (unsquashed) water bottles can be used to sterilize water.
Pamphlet here: http://www.sodis.ch/files/SODIS_pamphlet_e.pdf
More Info: http://www.sodis.ch/Text2002/T-Howdoesitwork.htm

Or.. you'll look like a ....
  Water Bandit!

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
Yeah, I have 2 of these right now, one for my laptop bag, and one for my camera bag.

Great little gadgets.

The water bottle holder in the laptop bag SUCKS, so I use this clip to keep ahold of the water bottle when it falls out of the pocket when I do stupid stuff according to the bag - like pick it up, or walk.

The camera bag is a camel-back bag, and I have one of these on it anyway.

millerized1

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 05:39:55 AM »
  Water Bandit!
Or..or..or...WATERBOY!!!

How 'bout some nice refreshing aitchtoooh?!!

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:35:08 AM »
  Water Bandit!
Or..or..or...WATERBOY!!!

How 'bout some nice refreshing aitchtoooh?!!

H2O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!