Author Topic: A wifes tale....  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
A wifes tale....
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »
Ok, this is what my wife posted on her facebook notes page... She was more than happy to let me share with my prepping family here.  ;D

Picture this... a week earlier people were hearing about a "big" snow storm on it's way. Everyone talked about it as if to not believe it. By Wednesday, people started thinking differently. By Thursday, supermarket shelves were emptying quicker than you could sing that ridiculous "Pants on the Ground" rap by that 62 year old man auditioning for American Idol. By Friday night, you'd better had everything you needed, if not, too bad.

We didn't have to deal with that craziness. Want to know why? Because I'm married to a prepper. Now for those who of you who know my husband, you probably thought he was crazy. And I'll admit, I first I thought he was too. But then we started listening to different Survival Podcasts together and these people aren't crazy. Sure, some of them might be a little out there in their thinking. But for the most part, they're all just normal people wanting to make a better life for themselves and their loved ones.

There's one survival podcast I really enjoy listening to with Hollis. It's by a guy named Jack Spirko. If you get the chance, check him out. He's practical and he's no holds barred. I really like that.

We're not preparing for the end of the world. We're just preparing for everyday things... like a big snow storm that could close down stores for a few days.

So to get back to the prepper husband's preps. OVer the past few months he's done little things here and there that might not have made a lot of sense at the time, but I surely appreciate them now. I'll explain in my next note.

We as a family are enjoying the snow, the comforts of knowing that we are prepared for whatever this storm dishes out. We could be done by the end of the weekend or we could get another huge storm and truly be stuck for a few more days. Never know what's in store.

Being a prepper isn't about preapring for the end of the world. It's starts by preparing for every day mishaps... like a storm that closes stores and messes with our every day conveniences for a few days.

Picture yourselves stormed in for a week or even two weeks. Sure you might have enough food on hand for the first week. You might even have enough for the whole time. So you're good and you think, "whatever, that was no big deal." But what if in addition to being snowed in, you now have no electricity, someone in your house has been injured and if anyone takes medications, you didn't prepare for Walgreens to not be open. How's your confidence fairing now??

Here's what we've been doing in preparation for anything that could... our won't happen. But before I start in with that, let me first say that Hollis and I have only started preparing for "whatever" for the past 2 years. We started before my mom died. She thought we were crazy. Canning our own food, starting and cultivating a garden to produce some of our own produce, buying extra food every time we went grocery shopping, and always storing up on batteries and first aid supplies.

At first I thought Hollis was crazy because nothing crazy ever happens. But then something crazy did happen. My mom died suddenly, I didn't have a decent paying job, we had to sell our home due to losing two of our 3 jobs (Mom, Hollis and I worked together to keep our house running and our bellies fed).
Suddenly, security wasn't in our grasp. At first I was on auto pilot thinking that if I just tried to pretend our world didn't just fall apart, everything would go back to normal. But when reality set in at my mom's memorial service, Hollis and I were both in the "what the hell happened to us" tour. This is when you have the pity party and revert to the fetal position crying out for it all to just end.

So you see, preparing for life's storms is a daily event for us. God didn't put us on this earth to be spectators, He put us here to share with others about Him and to live life for Him. Now I'm not giong to preach... this time. But what I AM going to do is tell you what we're doing as a family.

1) We pray often
2) We decided together to support each other in prepping
3) We just do it.

In my next note, I'll tell you more. (Sorry so many notes, but it's hard do this long of a post without the computer wanting act wacky and make me lose everything I'm typing. I've already lost this post once.)

My sister-in-law lost power due tohe snow storm and her husband and kids are trying to survive where they live. My hubby has been talking to his sister about survival tips for awhile. She is calling quite a bit today to report what's happening and get more tips for them. We are so proud of her because she's been doing practical things like keeping their perishable items in tupperware containers and burying thme in the snow. Taking snow from outsde and putting it in her bathtub so that when it melts, she can use that water to flush the toilet with it or drinking if she absolutely had to. The family is also getting their blankets together and staying together in one of thesmallest rooms in the house to keep heated.

Life comes at you fast... be prepared for whatever may change your "normal".

Hollis and I have been buying extra food for months and storing it so that we have in case we need it. Always checking the expiration dates. We use what we store and store what we use. In other words, we're not storing beans that we would never eat. We're storing mac & cheese, noodles for spaghetti, cans of tuna. Always keeping our stock fresh. Use some, buy some more to replace what you used. Use what you store, store what you use.

ALso, we have a garden. We grow our own veggies and fruit. This past summer we've enjoyed produce from our own sideyard. The kids are even planning what they want to grow this upcoming summer. We are right now enjoying what wsa grown over the summer even now. Canning and dehydrating is an amazing tool for preserving the life of your food. (I love my husband for turning our family on to this way of living)

The kids want waffles every morning for breakfast. So they have them. Want to know how I have time to do that every morning? I took a Saturday and made a HUGE batch of waffles. Then I packaged them neatly in packs of 2 and froze them. So every morning, the kids each grab a neatly wrapped pack of 2 so they each can have one or if they are extremely hungry, they grab 2 packs of 2 so they each have two waffles that morning. Time saver and I only sacrificed 2 hours on a Saturday morning for my kids to have a hot breakfast every morning for 3 weeks. That's a form of prepping.

This morning my hubby decided to get dinner started for tonight. He took out two of the four containers of soup that we froze from a few months ago. He made this awesome soup from scratch. We ate some and froze the rest for a rainy (or snowy) day.

We knew that the storm was coming and made sure to have batteries and flashlights available in case of loss of power, as well as blankets strategically placed throughout our house, phones and electric lanterns are fully charged, our food supply has already been built up the summer. We would buy extra food every time we went to the store. We are comfortable and it's all because we took stock of what we might need in the event of a situation causing us not to be able to get to store.

We also have a lot of medical supplies (band-aids, cough medicines, first aid kits, and our prescription meds are freshly filled. These are not preps because of this storm, they're just what we always have on hand. But we didn't always live this way.

Not everyone is going to turn their lives around the way we have... until an emergency hits them and they have to survive it. For us, it was the loss of a loved one and income. For others it could be loss of income, loss of health, loss of stability in any way. We prepare so that life doesn't have to be in panic mode. We prepare because it's what we want to do. Many may read this and just laugh it off and call us crazy. Others might read this and gleen some good tips for their own prepping. But if I've done nothing else in these posts, I hope I've at least shed some light on why people should at least consider prepping.

Listen to Jack Spirko's Survival Podcast. He is so practical and good at shedding light on why and how to prep. Our family enjoys listening to his updated podcasts. There are many others out there, but I found him to be one of the best.

Hope everyone reading this is enjoying some kind of peace of mind. Security isn't in how much money you can earn or the size of your house. Security is knowing you are prepared for whatever life hands you. And the ultimate prep is to get your life right with God so that you will spend eternity in Heaven with Him. Otherwise, you'll be damned to an eternity away from Him in hell. Chose wisely, your life depends on it.

Blessings and good luck prepping!

- Kimberly

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: A wifes tale....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:12:13 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing this!  I would think this would open the eyes of all her friends and family members.  Nicely written.  Good luck to you and yours in this snowstorm.  I must admit that I am experiencing 'blizzard envy'.  We haven't had a good storm in our area for quite some time. 

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:14:49 PM »
+1

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 03:11:54 AM »
thats great rook, keep posting!!!

+1

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:56:22 AM »
Here are 2 things that I learned from this snow storm...

Our dog is sick and on med's... well one of them is a liquid which I have to dump down into this mouth and hold his mouth shut to get him to sallow. So item 1, a medicine syringe... that the drug store gives you for kids to shot meds into their mouth.

The second it is something very small.... shoe laces, boot laces.... The laces on my boots yesterday started to snap on me.

So 2 more small things to put the list and keep in the castle....

Hollis
AKA Rook

Offline Fat_Man

• Prepper
  • Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:57:19 AM »
Not everyone is going to turn their lives around the way we have... until an emergency hits them and they have to survive it. For us, it was the loss of a loved one and income. For others it could be loss of income, loss of health, loss of stability in any way. We prepare so that life doesn't have to be in panic mode. We prepare because it's what we want to do. Many may read this and just laugh it off and call us crazy. Others might read this and gleen some good tips for their own prepping. But if I've done nothing else in these posts, I hope I've at least shed some light on why people should at least consider prepping.

My wife and I have been trying to turn our lives around since July because of the potential downside of the Swine Flu (non-issue now thank god), the economy, and we were just tired of being sheeple even though we never thought of ourselves like that. Now that we are prepping, wholeheartedly, we see other people and family members and wonder why they don't prep too. We tried to spread the word because we felt it was important but we were laughed at and looked at like we were crazy. Now we think that people that don't prep are foolhardy at best and irresponsible at worst. Most of my family thinks they can buy themselves out of a disaster. But if the economy goes kaboom, paper money won't be worth much. A well stocked larder will be.  :) 
We have stopped trying to "spread the word" because people think we are predicting the end of the world, which are not, and it draws attention to ourselves.  :(
What you have done by sharing this story is show me that it sometimes takes an incident to wake people up. I hope my extended family gets to experience a minor set back to get them on board instead of a big disaster and then it is too late to correct their habits.
GREAT POST.

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 09:24:05 AM »
Here are 2 things that I learned from this snow storm...

Our dog is sick and on med's... well one of them is a liquid which I have to dump down into this mouth and hold his mouth shut to get him to sallow. So item 1, a medicine syringe... that the drug store gives you for kids to shot meds into their mouth.

The second it is something very small.... shoe laces, boot laces.... The laces on my boots yesterday started to snap on me.

So 2 more small things to put the list and keep in the castle....

Hollis
AKA Rook

Most boots will accept paracord as laces.  They don't tend to stay tied as well cause they are slick but they work great otherwise.
B