Author Topic: THE book about gardening?  (Read 5544 times)

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
THE book about gardening?
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
In every endeavor there seems to be that ONE book that everyone has on their shelves. For photography its Ansel Adams : Camera / Negative / Print series. What is the one for vegetable gardening? I've got the raised bed built (albeit clumsily) and am finding some good information at our local library but the internet is full of conflicting advice. Maybe I'm just over complicating things again  :D

Offline edhand

• Prepper
Re: THE book about gardening?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:31:13 AM »
Well, based on the gardeners I know, this is the best book:

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible

Embarassingly, I won't be putting its precepts into practice until next year.  :-[

Ed

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:45 AM »
Wow thanks for the quick response! Does look like a fantastic book. No embarrassment needed. I'm in the same boat. I just hope not to make any mistakes that will cost me a year of time and experimentation before getting it right.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
I am a more simple guy, I just use Square Foot Gardening and the information on the back of seed packets.  Simple is better for our garden.  I would like to have a book about natural pest control though, that is the one area we lack in.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:54:34 PM »
My "one stop source" is Gardening When it Counts by Steve Solomon because it meets my view of what a garden should be for a survivalist: getting the most usable food for the least effort.

He also works with you on how to do all of your gardening with only hand tools.  With enough copies of that book and the proper tools (Hoe, Spade, Trowel) and I could teach the world to grow most of their own food with the appropriate seeds.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:14:24 PM »
My "one stop source" is Gardening When it Counts by Steve Solomon because it meets my view of what a garden should be for a survivalist: getting the most usable food for the least effort.

He also works with you on how to do all of your gardening with only hand tools.  With enough copies of that book and the proper tools (Hoe, Spade, Trowel) and I could teach the world to grow most of their own food with the appropriate seeds.

I just bought that book and am reading it right now.

homegrown

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:47:34 AM »
I think that I am going to give this book a chance, there were some negative reviews on amazon, but loads more positives.

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
I'm going to put in a vote for the older version of "square foot gardening"  the new version is a sort of feel good, dumbed down version without all the "technical" info.  Most of the info that was removed is the part of the book that was most usefull.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »
Has anyone read Mc Gee and Stuckeys "The bountiful container" ?  I had a gift card for a local book store and bought it.

Check out this tid bit. I went to Borders and Barnes and Noble looking for books about gardening. At both stores I found a Massive collection of books on gardening.  Borders had two books in the gardening section about growing something edible all the rest are about ornamental gardens and such. The two biggest bookstores in town, 10s of thousands of titles between the two of them and together they held a combined total of TWO books about gardening for food, not two titles, two books without so much as an extra copy of either. I commented about it to the girl at the counter and her reply was " you must live a long way from a store."  Her co worker replied "MARY!" and smacked her on the arm and said " Maybe he is poor." My head was spinning so hard I nearly threw up in the store.

millerized1

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 12:17:54 PM »
I commented about it to the girl at the counter and her reply was " you must live a long way from a store."  Her co worker replied "MARY!" and smacked her on the arm and said " Maybe he is poor." My head was spinning so hard I nearly threw up in the store.
Welcome to the 21st century.  Didn't you know all food comes from stores? ::)

Just sad.  These are hopefully the first ones to go when TSHTF, cause if they're not, they're the ones looting to find food.

Offline Shadowrider

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 01:29:29 PM »
Well, based on the gardeners I know, this is the best book:

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible

Found a copy at the library, Ed. GREAT book. Thanks for the recommendation! Because of it, I'm going to try artichokes this spring. It says they are perennials in our area because our winter lows are above 14 degree temps. I'm also considering celery -- still thinking about that one though.

Thanks!

wipeout

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
Steve Solomon "Gardening When It Counts"

I have a few raised bed gardens and like that for the backyard, but Steve Solomon gives sage advice about gardening in hard times

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:01:28 AM »
I commented about it to the girl at the counter and her reply was " you must live a long way from a store."  Her co worker replied "MARY!" and smacked her on the arm and said " Maybe he is poor." My head was spinning so hard I nearly threw up in the store.

I'm glad I live in Central PA, near the Amish and tons of farmland.  The Gardening sections in our Borders and BN stores are bigger than the Sci-Fi section and contains plenty of titles on gardening, farming, and wild harvesting.

While we are on for folks using Square Foot Gardening or other intensive gardening methods in a survival situation, please check out Gardening When It Counts before you devote yourself to those methods.  In good times, with access to plenty of water and regular irrigation, they are great methods that can yield plenty of food.  In a survival situation, you may not be able to spend the time, or resources, to water regularly enough to support your produce.

I say this from my own experiences.  Where I live, in a 6a climate that acts like 5b, I was watering twice a day in July and August in order to keep my tomatoes and cucumbers producing.  The soil mix recommended by Mel Bartholomew just drained too quickly.

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »
My most wonderful wife gave me The Vegetable Gardener's Bible for Christmas so I'm busy reading that one. It is a GREAT resource on the whole. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »
I just found a used copy of the old Square Foot book for $2.60!  (+$4 shipping!)

What a deal!

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »
for just about everything I rely on the Foxfire series of books an articles.
I also have Rodales comlete book of organis gardening from the 1950s
for joyous lessons pick up a copy of Second NAture (a gardeners education) by  Michael POllan.

skiffgirl

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »

I just got this book and can't wait to read it. From what I hear he really makes a lot of sense.