Author Topic: low income prepping  (Read 14141 times)

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: low income prepping
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »
OKGranny- We do a lot of casseroles here just like you. We'll make 2-3 at a time, have one for dinner, and freeze the others. For those days when we really don't want, or don't have time, to make a dinner, we pop one in the oven and it's done. We do that with a lot of things. When my wife makes bread, she'll make 6 loaves, leave one out, and freeze the other 5. We're never out of bread that way, so it was easy to get away from those trips of having to run out for bread. The oven is already hot, so there is no difference between making 2 or making 6.

Things here are now tighter than ever. I'm still layed off and unemployment benefits ran out. I get turned down for jobs every week with all of them saying I am "overqualified". We went from a good pay, to less then half, and now to nothing. I do odd jobs here and there and do some barter/trade for things we need, but it's still rough. The belt got a little tighter around here but it still hasn't affected our preps.

We haven't been buying much of anything from the store to restock our food storage, but that doesn't mean things are bare. With this years huge garden expansion, and my knack for getting free chickens, food hasn't been an issue at all. Rather than buy canned soups from the grocery to store, we're making and canning more of our own, even making homemade noodles to go in it. This weekend we'll be canning green beans to add to the pantry. Last year was 62 quarts, and this year we'll be going for 80. We're getting fresh, grass fed beef & pork from a freind next weekend and will be freezing and canning like crazy. I bartered a bunch of horseradish for a breeding pair of rabbits, so those will be back on board in the next few days when I can make time to go pick them up. It's nice to know that I can walk to the garden and see what is coming on so I can plan on what will be added to the preps/food storage rather than see if the checking account will allow a trip to the grocery store. It's been 5 weeks now since we've had to go to the store, and that was just for milk and peanut butter. (also starting next week we'll be making our own PB)

This layoff has been our own personal SHTF and we're actually doing just fine. I'm pretty proud of what we had in place as far as preps to get us through, and of what we have gotten this one acre to produce to keep things going. This has been a real learning experience. We've learned that it's been easy to live without certain things, and that a good food storage program is a MUST for ANYONE and EVERYONE. I never saw this coming. The trade was always, always a busy one. There was always overtime to be had, then the bottom just fell out and there was nothing. I'm a perfect example folks. If you don't have a program in place, START. Even a little at a time is better than nothing. Budget or not, follow the advice of everyone here and start. It doesn't take long and it can really save your a$$. Trust me on this one.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »
- Look for prepping items at Goodwill, Thrift Stores, Yard Sales, FreeCycle
- Buy items on sale at grocery or the BOGOs (buy one get one free)
- Check for sale/clearance items in stores or online -- end of season sales coming soon
- Check for a local CSA
- Watch for items on the curb on trash day (amazing the items that are usable & thrown out for trash pick up)
- Ask at the local dump if you can see what's in the dumpster for metal items (garden tools, propane tanks, etc)
- Cook at home & cook extra while you're at it. The extras can be frozen or used up in the next few days.
- Buy veggies & fruits in season: grocery store, road side farm trucks, farmer's market, pick it yourself farms and orchards
- Buy in bulk and split the cost with a friend or two if necessary
- www.anglefoodministries.org
- Give up a night on the town movie & dinner. Rent a movie & eat at home.
- Bundle your phone, tv & internet if possible
- Lower your heating expenses by opening the blinds to let the sun help heat the house. Drop the thermostat, dress in layers, buy extra blankets/comforters. Caulk around windows, weather strip doors. We keep our thermostat on 65 in the winter.
- Lower your cooling expenses by closing blinds, don't burn unnecessary lights, buy room darkening curtains. The ones I found are also insulated. We keep our thermostat on 80 in the summer.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat
- Lower the temp on the water heater
- Learn to do simple car repairs: change wiper blades, coolant, change the oil, etc.
- Learn to do simple home repairs
- Learn to sew, knit, crochet, etc -- mending clothing can save a lot of money
- When our SIL grills, he grills enough meat for the week. Put the extra meat in sealed bowls or zip bags in the fridge and reheat.
- Put a little money in savings each month even if it's only 5 or 10 bucks, it will add up to help take care of unexpected expenses.

Offline davidblackburn

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »
Heres what i do, may or may not help,
 I live in a college town and when the students leave for the year they throw out everything!! So i Dumpster dive, its fun and pays off, you can find a lot of usefull prepping items as well as other valuable stuff! I sell a lot of the stuff I cant use on ebay, then you can use your paypall bucks to buy prepper items (mylar bags, camping gear, first aid gear, gun accesories, radios, solar cells ect.) I have obtained a lot of gear off of ebay without ever using a real dollar. I basically trade stuff other people throw away for stuff i want or need. theese kids also throw away a ton of canned food/rice/ect.. that I use to supplement mile stocks. I know this wont work for evryone but I have made it work for me.
Thanks,
davidblackburn

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »
I went to goodwill and bought a foodsaver vaccum sealer for half the price. Nothing was wrong with it. The box had been opened and retaped.

Offline mommas arms

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »
I am foraging as much as possible for berries to make jelly, jam and dried fruit rolls.

Offline Bootcrash

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
I am just a lurker here and I happen to find this thread. It is great to see that I am not alone in this situation of prepping with a very limited income. As the OP had stated, knowledge is free and that is what I am doing. Being aware and at least mentally prepared what is needed to deal with a disaster situation.

My preps are done a little at a time. I just completed my my BOB, have a meager amount of silver stashed away as a means of liquidable assets, have 3 days of food stored away and working on 7 days, and have a financial plan to eliminate my debt (students loans and, yes unfortunately consumer debt).

What little advice I have is to make small, bite-sized objectives and keep focused on achieving your objectives. You would be amazed how easy it is and less daunting.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 11:05:27 PM »
Bootcrash-that's an excellent point that can't be stated enough. It doesn't take a lot of money to formulate and meet small objectives and they add up so much sooner than you think they will. Welcome btw.

Offline DustBunny

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
 I am prepping on an insanely low income as well, as in there are more bills than income low. I have started by gaining knowledge about native plants and animals we *could* eat in an emergency and just changing the way I shop so that at the end of the budgetary month I am not caught with nothing in the house. I have also gotten back into couponing. I use to do it heavily and had a rather nice stockpile but when I stopped when I was very busy. I also printed out a plan for food storage and I am working toward it SLOWLY.

Another place for people to watch is your local freecycle group. I often see people who are moving giving away some really great stuff, even canned goods and other non-perishable foods. As long as the dates are good and the containers clean it should be safe food.

Ooooh and liquidation stores, they are great too!