Author Topic: PleaseRobMe Website  (Read 5289 times)

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
PleaseRobMe Website
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
I know we were discussing this in the 'Things Burglars Know' thread but this deserves its own post:

PleaseRobMe
Hey, do you have a Twitter account? Have you ever noticed those messages in which people tell you where they are? Pretty annoying, eh. Well, they're actually also potentially pretty dangerous. We're about to tell you why.

Don't get us wrong, we love the whole location-aware thing. The information is very interesting and can be used to create some pretty awesome applications. However, the way in which people are stimulated to participate in sharing this information, is less awesome. Services like Foursquare allow you to fulfill some primeval urge to colonize the planet. A part of that is letting everyone know you own that specific spot. You get to tell where you are and if you're there first, it's yours. O, and of course there's badges..

Foursquare

The danger is publicly telling people where you are. This is because it leaves one place you're definitely not... home. So here we are; on one end we're leaving lights on when we're going on a holiday, and on the other we're telling everybody on the internet we're not home. It gets even worse if you have "friends" who want to colonize your house. That means they have to enter your address, to tell everyone where they are. Your address.. on the internet.. Now you know what to do when people reach for their phone as soon as they enter your home. That's right, slap them across the face.

The goal of this website is to raise some awareness on this issue and have people think about how they use services like Foursquare, Brightkite, Google Buzz etc. Because all this site is, is a dressed up Twitter search page. Everybody can get this information.

Offline IowaFreak

• Prepper
    • Iowa Gun Trader
Re: PleaseRobMe Website
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:43:08 PM »
Wow...that's pretty crazy!

I'm paranoid the way it is when noybody know's I'm out of town, but to annouce it....

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:33:23 PM »
Yah, they must not pay attention to news where someone's home is burglared while at a loved one's funeral, because some Scum of the Earth saw the funeral announcement.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »
Just remember that when in jail/prison there is not much more to do than to think about how to commit more crimes, how to do it better and not get caught.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »
Wow... I had this post on my Facebook page a while back. One of my very liberal friends was just STUPID about what it meant...  Here’s the conversation. I edited out names and irrelevant posts…

Donaldj:  To all those Facebook people that somehow think it's cool to "check in" somewhere, you're really just telling criminals when you aren't at home...
Police: Thieves Robbed Homes Based On Facebook Posts
www.wmur.com
Nashua police are crediting an alert off-duty police officer who heard fireworks with cracking a burglary ring that targeted homes known to be empty because of Facebook postings. Thursday, September 9, 2010.
September 13 at 12:21pm   Friends Only • Comment • LikeUnlike • View Feedback ( 8 )Hide Feedback ( 8 ) • Share

Libtard Friend: The real problem is people who check in at their home and or out their personal information on the Internet... and also leave their profiles wide open to the public.
September 13 at 12:50pm • LikeUnlike

Donaldj: Posting where you at any given moment IS outing "their personal information on the Internet". As for profile privacy, I agree. Friends is one thing, but do you trust "Friends of Friends"? I know I don't.
September 13 at 1:01pm • LikeUnlike

Libtard Friend: When I said "Personal Information", I should have clarified by stating actual location of domicile, etc., etc., etc. Anyway, one article about one burglary group does not an epidemic make. Wake me when there are dozens of such groups operating in many cities who accidentally bump into one another while on heists. I'll start being concerned at that point, but only marginally so, since there are many methods to thwart burglaries when there is nobody home, many of which have nothing to do with paying a "security" company.
September 13 at 1:08pm • LikeUnlike

Donaldj That is your choice to make. I know that I will be more proactive and concerned about my family security than this.
September 13 at 1:11pm • LikeUnlike

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 05:58:44 AM »
"Wake me when there are dozens of such groups operating in many cities who accidentally bump into one another while on heists."

amazing.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »
I know... I was dumbfounded at this, especially since the guy has a wife and kid and should be concerned about their safety.

After a few more posts like that, I really did consider de-friending the guy.  I would not de-friend someone based on their political views, but this guy's utter disregard for safety and what was, in my mind, common sense, pushed me to consider it.

Ultimately I chose to not de-friend him because frankly, having multiple points of view is a good thing. To quote Starship Troopers movie, "To fight the bug (grasshopper!), we must first understand the bug (grasshopper)."  I chose to keep him around as my lab rat.    ;D

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
 Their ignorance is job security for some of us.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
Yeah I can't believe how many of my friends announce on facebook there on vacation or out to a ball game etc... just asking for trouble IMO.