Author Topic: Help me plan out my garden space  (Read 4171 times)

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
Help me plan out my garden space
« on: December 06, 2008, 07:06:17 PM »
Last spring I started what way my first garden.  I really had no idea what I was doing, just went ahead and did what I thought was supposed to be done.  It came out pretty good and learned some valuable lessons.  After listening to Jack's shows on winter gardening (yes I'm behind and catching up), I've started thinking about what I can do to make it better this coming spring in terms of how I've laid it all out.  One thing to keep in mind is that I rent.  Although the owners have told me that I can do whatever I want to with the yard, I'd like to stay away from making changes that are too radical.  Anything within the area that I'm working is free game (without cutting down the fruit trees).  I've attached some pictures to help illustrate what I have to work with.

This is the best wide view I could get of the garden area of my yard.

This is looking left from outside the fence.

This is looking right from outside the fence.

This is looking left from inside the fence.

This is looking right from inside the fence.

Here is my best MS Paint of what it is from last summer.

So, help a noob get more out of my space and set it up to where I don't have to walk in the middle of my beds next year to get to plants.  I plan on getting cinder blocks and raising the beds this year though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:20:32 PM by CT9A »

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
Re: Help me plan out my garden space
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:22:47 PM »
CT9A.....no pics......

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 07:46:29 PM »
Really?  They show up for me.  Can a mod help me out since I apparently have no idea?

Edit: How's that?  I changed the host so maybe they'll show up for everyone now?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:21:06 PM by CT9A »

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »
Here is a link to my garden layout last year. The only thing I will change is a lot less tomatoes and more potatoes. I will also rotate the rows around.

gigaJack

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »
Thanks for the information Jack.  I don't understand rotations of rows or crops, could you explain for me?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 05:45:07 AM »
The first thing I would say is don't confine yourself to just the space inside the fence.

Consider container gardening & also maybe some hanging buckets for things like tomatoes, peppers & even cucumbers. (bucket gardening is new to me as well, but it looks like a great way to save space & grow some good stuff)

Some quick found links...you'll find lots more if you use your google-fu.
Hanging Buckets
Container Gardening

backyardgardener

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »
Thanks for the information Jack.  I don't understand rotations of rows or crops, could you explain for me?
By rotating your crops, you reduce the chance of producing bug-infested or diseased food (moldy, rotten) because the bugs and disease haven't had a chance to build up in the soil if you are constantly moving them every year. So, every year, change the location of each veggie in your garden. The best rotation is one where each veggie doesn't return to the same location more than once every three years.

You seem to be avoiding putting any of your veggies near your fence (maybe you're not allowed to grow plants on it) but fence locations that are sunny in the morning or afternoon are great places to grow climbing plants like peas and runner beans and squash. It also increases the amount of usable space in your backyard. Just a thought.

Enjoy!

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »
You seem to be avoiding putting any of your veggies near your fence (maybe you're not allowed to grow plants on it) but fence locations that are sunny in the morning or afternoon are great places to grow climbing plants like peas and runner beans and squash. It also increases the amount of usable space in your backyard. Just a thought.

Enjoy!

I never had thought of using the fence. What a great idea. The silly rabbits can hop over the 1 foot bottom section of the "rabbit fence" and go through the wider fence segment anyhow (they sure do make smart rabbits her in the north ;) ). I will have to think on what I am going to put there this year. That will give me another 75 foot row.

I am going to try the potatoes in the tires this year. I figure I can go get some used ones at the local Tires Plus.

gigaJack

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »
If you don't want to walk on the beds, the maximum they should be is 2-3' which is how far you can comfortably reach to tend to the plants.  Thus, you may want to make longer beds that are less wide, 20 x 3 for example.  Some people do 4', but it is too far for my wife and kids.

Also, there is a bunch of open area in your design.  If you are happy with the total size of garden area that is fine.  If not, you may want to go in stages and do a much more dense design that takes half the yard this year and then finish it the next year.  You only need a small path between beds.  Putting them up against the fence or property line means you don't need a path on that side.