Author Topic: "China extends position as world's leading food producer  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
"China extends position as world's leading food producer
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »
Grabbed this headline from Drudge/Reuters
The article does point out at the end, that this is only as measured by value, and not by volume ---- or caloric content, for that matter.  Given that Chinese government official statistics are notoriously suspect, who knows how accurate these are.
I can personally report that the way that vegetables and greens are widely grown in China, irrigated by water drawn from heavily polluted canals, are less than appetizing.

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=94747

China extends position as world’s leading food producer
REUTERS    
Published: 2010/02/25 02:04:58 PM

REUTERS/ US agricultural production was $311,23 billion in 2007, the latest year for which data are available, up from $246,57 billion in 2006 - China was already ahead of the US in 1995 when the WTO series starts.

(please click link for full article - post was edited by Alpha Mike, in accordance with DMCA rules and regulations)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:40:53 PM by Alpha Mike »

Offline Mediocrity In Action

• Prepper
Re: "China extends position as world's leading food producer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »
I deal with Chinese nationals as part of core responsibility in my job.  That doesn't make me unique, but does provide me with a second hand view of some facets of that country.  China, as I understand it, is still a huge net food importer.  With the massive population they need to feed, they could out produce us 7 to 1 and still need to import food.

The upshot is, as long as China needs food, they need the United States, or at least our friends.  However, if China becomes food independent, we really have something to worry about.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »
I try to avoid food from China but it's scary how much of it has been popping up over the last few years.

It's impossible to find canned mushrooms that don't come from China!

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
China is unlikely to become food indepedent. China needs to grow their middle class, and consumption at all levels, to maintain growth. Coupled with water issues on the horizon, they'll more likely increase per capita imports in the next decade.

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:05:54 AM »
Not to turn this into a China-bashing thread, but the posters above are correct.  I know of at least  a few affluent Chinese and foreign expatriates who limit their food purchases in China to mostly imported sources (australian beef, New Zealand butter, for example). Seems justified, given some of the recent food supply scandals, like milk and melamine incident in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal