Author Topic: HF or HF+6 transceivers - What's the best deal you can get for your money?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
A lot of people getting their licenses and looking for radios.

A lot of tax returns being filed and some of them will even get money back (lucky hams!)

So, what's the best AFFORDABLE and INEXPENSIVE HF or HF+6 transceiver we can get?

Offline fndrbndr

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: HF or HF+6 transceivers - What's the best deal you can get for your money?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »
That's a question with no easy answer...

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »
Deals are where you find them or make them.  I guess if it were me, I'd be looking at an Icom 718.  http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/718/default.aspx

Under $600 new, you can find them on ebay from $400 and up depending on condition.

Fred_47460

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »
It's hard to know what you class "affordable". For the money and features you can not do better than a Yaesu FT-857D or FT-897D....or an Icom IC-706Mark2G would be good also.

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Way to Old to start Over
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:30:34 AM »
Ditto On both radios and rigs.

Icom and Yaesu both good and for the mulit band for those looking for the best bang for your buck, has got to be the best around, If you can find the yaesu 857, not the D but the 857 you loose the 60 Meter band, but it has everything else, and can be found used for $500 or less. And there is not much traffic on 60 meters.

adp113

The question really comes down to used or new.  I am no fan of used gear.  As for buying new, I lean towards the Yaesu stuff, the 897,857.  As for the Icom 706, yes it is a great radio but it is a 10 year old design.  After a lightning strike I was happy that I replaced my 706 with and 897.  But the 897 is not going to go in a car too well.  Or you could go the route of saying screw it to two meters and 440 and get the Yaesu 950 for just a few bucks more - it has an internal tuner so that makes up for the $200 you would have spent on a tuner.