Author Topic: Book - The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide - anyone read?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
Has anyone read "The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide: by Sean Brodrick"?

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
Re: Book - The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide - anyone read?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
Looks more financial than primitive skills.  It's all important, as Jack points out.

Podcast interview with the author about that book here.

Offline mike8chesh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Utrinque Paratus
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
I've been a subscriber to his newsletters for years, where he talks about Peak Oil, water shortages etc and how to profit from them.  So I would think that there will be a lot about financial preps in there. However, from this bit that he sent to all the subscribers on his mailing list, it does seem to be a practical prepping guide too.

My name is Sean Brodrick. I’m a natural resource analyst for Weiss Research, and you may have read my journeys to the far corners of the Earth looking for the best undiscovered stocks.

But I have another side, away from the stock and commodity markets. I’m very interested in “prepping” or preparing for the worst. I’m prepared for all sorts of emergencies — economic, energy, food, pandemics, you name it.

I got interested in this during Hurricane Katrina, when New Orleans drowned. The local, state and Federal governments couldn’t handle the crisis. And that’s when I knew that if the s**t hit the fan, I couldn’t count on the government to save my sorry butt. I had to take care of myself and my family.

And:

I’m not going to tell you to uproot your life. Too many survival books are about moving to a goat farm, far from civilization. My book is for people who want to prepare in place. You can prepare for the worst in the comfort of your own home, and end up with a better, more secure home in the bargain.

I’m going to help you save money. Becoming a smarter shopper is one smart move you can make right now. And the money you save can be put toward buying the things you’ll need to survive worst-case scenarios.

I run the gamut of what suburbanites need to know. I’m talking from farming food on a small plot to growing money. I’m not going to tell you what berries you can survive on if you’re lost in the woods. I am going to tell you what moves you should be making in your investments RIGHT NOW to prepare for the economic s**t-storm that is headed our way.

I'm going to order a copy soon, so I'll have a better idea when I've read it.

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »
I'm going to order a copy soon, so I'll have a better idea when I've read it.

Please reply back when you do. I am curious to know how it is and if there are a/any kernels of unusual wisdom in it worth reading.

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:11 PM »
Got a coffee at Barnes & Noble this morning, and skimmed the book.

If you need a gift for someone new to "peak oil", or how fragile our civilization is, fine.  There is probably a lot more/better information in Jack's podcasts.

I did not find anything to add to my own notes...A relatively "up to date" online version is at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11849883/Sustainable-Civilization-From-the-Grass-Roots-Up