Author Topic: Critique My Kits  (Read 2894 times)

Offline ZedHead

• Prepper
Critique My Kits
« on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
At my place of employment, I have been commissioned to get 30-35 72-hour kits together. These could also be considered a “Get Home Kit” for the employees they will be issued to. Cost is a concern, right now I am at about $55 and don’t want to go much higher. No guns/scary knives will be in the kit. I will also have a list of some additional items employees may want to add to their kits. The AO is in SLC, Ut.

I would appreciate any critiques of this list. What would you add? What would you dismiss? Thanks for the help!

Food

1 MRE
2400 Calorie bar

Water
4 Water bottles
Water purification tablets
Electrolyte powder (3 Single use packets)
(There is a good amount of water available vie the water cooler and back-up tanks)

Shelter
Space blanket
Poncho
Wool blanket
Beanie hat
Work gloves

Container
Cheapo backpack-This is a tough item because they are around $8 and I am not impressed with them.

Fire
Lighter
Lint (Tinder)
Matches
Candle

Light
Glow Stick (3)
LED Light (Keychain size)

First Aid/Hygiene
Toothbrush
TP
N95 mask
Bandanna
Hand Sanitizer
Medical tape
Israeli/USGI style bandage
50 Ft. 550 cord
Needles/thread
Safety Pins
Variety Pack Medications (Ibuprofen,Benadryl,Advil)
Bandaids-(I don’t think they are that important for a 72-hour kit but they want them)

Misc.
5-1 Whistle (Whistle, Compass, Match container, Mirror, Flint)
Multi-tool –Found some cheapo ones for $4.95
Notepad
Pencil/Pen/Crayon
Duct tape
Local map/Contact card (Laminated)
Playing cards

Self Included Items
Change of clothes+socks+shoes
Feminine hygiene items
Required medications
Self defense Items
Reading material
Money (Cash+coins)
Charged cell phone battery
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:22:14 PM by ZedHead »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Critique My Kits
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:11:59 PM »
You might add:
Medical gloves

What type of candle? Survival candle or birthday candle?

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

Food

1 MRE
2400 Calorie bar
I say go with some stripped MRE's IIRC you can get 3 or 4 entrees for the price of one whole kit or a couple CLIF bars for a buck a piece.

Water
4 Water bottles
IF you have a good supply of water I would skip the tablets or buy 1 bottle and break them up. This could save a few bucks per kit
(There is a good amount of water available vie the water cooler and back-up tanks)

Shelter
Space blanket
If they are the decent kind, the 99cent ones are great for a one time (if that use) IIRC "heat  sheets" are a good brand, or go with one of those bivy sacks
Poncho
I say a 55gal contractor bag may be a better and cheaper choice, they are multi purpose
Wool blanket
Beanie hat
Work gloves

Container
Cheapo backpack-This is a tough item because they are around $8 and I am not impressed with them.
Do you have an "AX MAN"? I picked up a few military backpacks for about $2. Heavy duty but uncomfortable.

Fire
Lighter
Lint (Tinder)
Matches
Candle
A magnesium bar and  flint striker is almost fool proof. can be had for about $5 if you look. Ever broke a lighter or not had matches light? Fire is VERY high on my priority list. As far as tinder get some empty chew tins of the plastic verity and stuff some PJ cottonballs in it. they are light, cheap, and very effective. The PJ keeps them almost 100% water proof.

Light
Glow Stick (3)
I would say 2 led flash light like those from DX and then 1 glow stick. I think glow sticks have a place but 2 flash lights 1 red one white could go further

First Aid/Hygiene
Toothbrush
Its 3 days and the $2 for the travel TB could be spent else where, you don't really need to brush in a 3 day emergency
TP
A big roll with the cardboard removed fits snug in a 1qt freezer bag, avoid the novelty small tubes, tp is usefull for tons of stuff
N95 mask
Bandanna
Hand Sanitizer
Medical tape
Possibly expensive is there something else?
50 Ft. 550 cord
Needles/thread
Safety Pins
Bandaids-(I don’t think they are that important for a 72-hour kit but they want them)

Misc.
Notepad
Pencil/Pen/Crayon
Duct tape
Playing cards

Self Included Items
Feminine hygiene items
Required medications
Self defense Items
Reading material
Money (Cash+coins)

My .02 in red

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
What kind of place do you work at that would be cool enough for a project like this?

Offline kernal_panic

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »
At my place of employment, I have been commissioned to get 30-35 72-hour kits together. These could also be considered a “Get Home Kit” for the employees they will be issued to. Cost is a concern, right now I am at about $55 and don’t want to go much higher. No guns/scary knives will be in the kit. I will also have a list of some additional items employees may want to add to their kits. The AO is in SLC, Ut.

I would appreciate any critiques of this list. What would you add? What would you dismiss? Thanks for the help!

Food

1 MRE
2400 Calorie bar

Water
4 Water bottles

Shelter
Space blanket
Poncho
Wool blanket
Beanie hat
Work gloves

Container

Fire
Lighter
Lint (Tinder)
Matches
Candle

Light
Glow Stick (3)

First Aid/Hygiene
Toothbrush
TP
N95 mask
Bandanna
Hand Sanitizer
Medical tape
50 Ft. 550 cord
Needles/thread
Safety Pins

Misc.
Notepad
Pencil/Pen/Crayon
Duct tape
Playing cards

Self Included Items
Feminine hygiene items
Required medications
Self defense Items
Reading material
Money (Cash+coins)

walmart sells some 1/2 decent day packs that are hydration bladder compatible. I would make on of those my base for the kit and loose the 4 water bottles. reduce it to 1 or 2 plus the bladder.

more food. 1 mre and a 2400 calorie bar isn't going to be 2 filling for 3 days. how about 2 daily humanitarian ration packs and a few cliff bars?

definatly roll with a 1/2 way decent 1st aid kit. people will be walking and using knives. that means falls, scrapes, and cuts.

1 electric glow stick and 1 cheap LED flash light. I picked a 2 pack of Husky brand 1 AA led lights at home depot for $5. thats just $2.50 a light.

loose the $1 space blankets. they are noisy as hell and not effective. the wool blanket is a great idea.

otherthan that thats a great list.

always always always remember what the basics are:

you can live up to 3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food.

you might want to consider having work create 2 person teams out of the employees. 1 employee gets extra food and water in their pack and their buddy gets the shelter say a 8x10 tarp?

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »
Personally, I would drop the MRE and replace it with the 3600 (3-day) emergency food bars supplemented with some nuts or candy bars.  The MRE provides one meal, is expensive bulky and heavy.

My view is that a BOB is emergency in nature and if you are living out of it for longer than an hour or two things are quite bad.  i would rather have the space and weight for maps, water (filled bottles), radio, first aid, flashlight, good whistle or an improved shelter setup.

Have you looked at the kits at prepared.com?  They seem to have a pretty decent selection as well as some components.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »
Have you looked at the kits at prepared.com?  They seem to have a pretty decent selection as well as some components.

Do you mean BePrepared.com?