Author Topic: On Campus Prepping For College Students  (Read 63230 times)

Offline Hobbes_STi

• Fledgling Prepper
On Campus Prepping For College Students
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
Here is the thread on prepping for the college student, apartment dweller, or other budget and space limited people.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:08:05 PM by Hobbes_STi »

CxuViPretas

Re: On Campus Prepping For College Students
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
Hey Hobbes_STI, thanks a lot for posting this thread. How college students can become more prepared is definitely something that's been on my mind lately, and I'm glad to have a place to discuss this now. I'm a senior at a very small liberal arts college in the South, and as I've become more interested in prepping lately I've realized how difficult it is to find people who are interested in the topic at my school. I won't make generalizations about college students other than to say that they are frequently very busy doing and thinking about things other than preparedness, and in a terrible job market we're all more than a little concerned about finding a job that can at least be self-sufficient enough to pay our bills and have something reasonably fulfilling to do after school. That being said, the best way to inform people about the benefits of a lifestyle of preparedness is to emphasize how prepping can, as we hear every day, "help you live a better life if times get tough, or even if they don't."

As college students, most importantly we need to be level-headed. As much as I support using college as a period to learn more about yourself while considering and expressing opinions that you may never have had before, college students who truly bring about change and help improve the lives of those around them usually are the ones who can think and speak intelligently while considering the points of view of others with whom they may disagree. This is especially true with regard to prepping, as some of the preparations you may with to make are simply impossible in the context of a college campus. So, let's start thinking of some reasonable preps that everyone can do, even on campus.

As we know, we can prepare in many ways and for many things. Things I've thought of so far that won't call too much attention to yourself, but that you could casually bring up in conversation if asked that don't make you look crazy:
1.) Try to keep at least half a tank of gas in your car (if you have one), or try to find another reliable non-public means of transportation. This is useful not only in stereotypical disasters, but in day-to-day crises, too. If you do have a car, also please remember to be mindful of what you keep in it... Academic institutions have very strict rules about what can be brought on campus, and no one wants to get in trouble or make others feel unsafe due to something that is kept in a BOB/vehicle preparedness kit. I think a personal automobile is a great place to store your preps if you have a way to secure them, and, as I'll mention later, your car can really serve as a great base of operations if you need it to.
2.) Keep at least a few rolls of quarters and $100 in small change hidden in your room that your roommates won't find. Yet again, another prep with multiple uses: good for making calls from a pay phone, for getting a taxi, using if the power goes out... Cash is always good to have on hand.
3.) Of course, extra flashlights and batteries around your dorm or apartment
4.) Food storage in a dorm is surprisingly easy... Tupperware (R) container under the bed with enough to get you by if severe weather hits and the dining hall shuts down, and as a college student, the junk you eat anyway probably stores well.
5.) Maybe you can get involved with a campus gardening or outdoors group. My college just started a gardening club on campus that helps provide fresh vegetables to our dining hall and student union, and our outdoors organization is very well funded.  Many colleges have outdoors groups that lead backpacking, climbing, kayaking, etc. trips at very reasonable prices. If you don't have much outdoors experience, an outdoors or gardening club is a great way to learn new skills and maybe even find other people who are interested in preparedness. If you listen and just let other people talk while you're on trips, the topic might even come up without you starting it.
6.) If you have a volunteer fire department in your town (or, if you're in a larger city, a Civilian Emergency Response Team - CERT), maybe you could volunteer there as a firefighter and/or EMT. I'm in my third year with my local fire department, and I know that the skills I've learned as a volunteer firefighter/EMT there will serve me well in the future.
7.) I recently became an amateur/ham radio operator. The technician-level (and general-level, I hear) test is very easy, and after that you can acquire a handheld or mobile/car ham radio to use in emergencies, or just for fun. With a full tank of fuel in your car, a 12v D/C to 110v A/C converter, some food/water/extra clothes, and multiple ways to communicate (ham/CB/cell phone), you can have a place to quite literally live and function. Such a base can be useful if the "crisis" is localized to the point of just getting kicked out of your apartment for some reason (can't pay the rent, water damage from a busted sprinkler head, etc.), or even if the crisis is of greater magnitude (and, if you have a strong mobile ham radio/antenna, you could be very useful in helping coordinate emergency efforts in the event of a true emergency).

Now, I would really like to hear from other college students, or from anyone else who has some experiential input. All I ask of any college student who is interested in preparedness is to please respect the rules of your institution. No matter your opinion on other things, everyone wants a safe place to live and study, and the best way we can be good stewards to our fellow students and friends is by making sure that our actions never endanger others, especially in the name of "preparedness." Please be mindful of your words and actions, especially if you are representing our community of preparedness.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:17:08 AM »
I commuted, but have plenty of friends that stayed on or near campus.

Advice: find a buddy that has an off-campus house where you can store some preps. A friend of mine rented a house with two of his best buds, and he let me toss a 5 gallon can of gas in the back of his garden shed, and he was a prepper so I could always count on a couple of MRE's if we had to shoot and scoot. We had another friend that caught on and did the same, but his was only 2.5 gallons since he had an old jap bike of some description. Might have been an old CBR IIRC, but there was NO body work - kind of looked like an old school cafe racer.

I digress.

in a SHTF scenario, your first priority should be to get OFF campus if the situation is on or near campus. Bikes are great since they're lightweight, fast enough, quiet, and man-portable when you reach a fence, wall, overpass, water, etc.

As far as space limited food storage, stick to a 72 hour bag, or even a 48 hour bag with another stash of food and clothes somewhere nearby, but off campus. Make friends with maintenance folks. I can't tell you all the neat stuff I have access to just because I know the name of the one guy with ALL the keys. If you make a friend like that, you can rely on him to relocate a stashed bag if it gets in the way of a maintenance worker, or claim it as his if need be - but be careful not to put anything in the bag that raises eyebrows. Stick to a pocket knife, food, bottles of water, and a change of clothes, so at the very least he can say to the repair guy "aww hell, i've been looking for that for three days! where the hell did you find that?!"

Might not be a bad idea to toss two 20 dollar bills in there specifically for said friend if and when he needs to spread the wealth to avoid a problem, or simply as a "thank you". Another good idea is a prepaid tracfone - the cheapest I've seen is 10 bucks at office depot. An emergency charger would be cool too, so if, again, the bag is discovered, said friend can immediately open the bag, snag the phone, and call your sorry butt to come get the damn thing.

Another option is to put a cheapo wallet in there, with a few cards, a few coins, but make it look well worn and make it look gone-through - i.e. pack it on top of the bag all haphazard like, and ruffle up the clothes inside, and rip open an MRE packet and stuff it in there. If any prying eyes open it up, it'll look like someone snagged it, took the cash, opened the MRE to see what it looked like, and voila, it must have been snatched from wherever you left it...

If you are able to stash it in a garden shed sort of place, then the phone is just for you, just in case, and none of the above "outs" are needed. Pack the bag neatly and you can stuff more things into it.

There's a variety of ways to store firearms off-site that are acceptably secure and hidden, but I never reccomend storing complete firearms anywhere but on your own property. The campus is NOT your own property, and firearms are generally not allowed on campus via the course catalog - in VA there's no state law restricting on-campus carry, but if you're a student, you technically signed your rights away, so don't be dumb.

The interesting thing, however, is at least at my college, there's nothing saying you can't store a firearm secured in your vehicle. If you park your car on campus, however, you're risking it being stolen and having to deal with all that crap, so unless you install a fake muffler or weld a box into the bumper, you're better off finding a secure off-site storage location. Some gun shops let you store your guns/ammo/etc., so this might not be a bad idea. Also you might consider a storage unit or safe deposit box, or get a 24-hour gym membership and store it in a locker there, inside its own lock box. This might be a good technique if you strip your firearm and store the lower in the lock box, and the upper with your go-bag (semiautomatic pistol or AR-15, for example. Revolvers are pretty much all-or-nothing)

that's pretty much how I rolled. I had plenty of junk in my car to sustain me, and when I got my dog, he started riding with me and going to every class except labs since he's a "service dog in training". Doesn't matter what kind of service, and nobody can ask you what you need a service dog for... Americans' with Disabilities Act precludes anyone from asking the nature of your disability as a condition for entering or allowing your dog on premises, since it's protected private medical information. Ha! Further, there's no law in VA regarding service animals insofar as the owner having a disability, so long as I'm the one paying for the dog and the training, it's my business how I train him - the laws are mostly concerned with behavior, testing, and proper vaccinations, then the dog can go anywhere it's not deemed a safety risk (like an organic chemistry lab filled with bottles of cyclohexane...).

Oddly enough, he's been in the anatomy and physiology lab quite a bit, and my advisor loves him to death.

Again, I digress... the point is to look for even the wildest and craziest options, and to make friendly-like with everyone that holds a choke point to the unrestricted access to your environment. Open doors is open doors, and beer in advance is cheaper than a trespassing charge afterwards.

Offline Hobbes_STi

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »
Wow some great posts you two. I'm putting my list together here in the near future for what i think is possible. (haven't gotten to it as of yet, had a vamily emergency) But it should be done soon.

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »
My wife and I are talking about making up 2 "BOBS" for our son and his girl friend at San Francisco State.  My wife worries about a earthquake or other major problem with them 400 miles away.  We will put in some maps incase they have to be on foot.  Guns are illegal in S.F.  But maybe some other self defense like pepper spray.  My wife and I have never been sure why they went to that school, they cant even park on campus.  And they pay more for rent than for school.  They have only 1 more year.  The great thing is, after 3 years, they both now cant wait to leave S.F.  That flower faded quick.

Offline The Coyote Kid

• Prepper
  • I only gamble with my life, never my money.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
I've only ever attended a community college and not a four year school, so I'm not as familiar with college life and dorm life as others may be. But I'll offer up some advice that I think is good for general prepping and even better for campus.

Most of the four year schools I've visited are large and the complaint is always about how long it takes to walk from one class to another. Become familiar with your campus. If you're going to be living there for four years (or more) then it's a good idea to take the time not only to study a map but to walk around. Where are the entrances and exits? Where are the phones? Is there more than one way to get off the 2nd and 3rd floor of a building? Where is the security office and how can I contact them in an emergency? An extended version of this, if you're attending school in another town that you're not familiar with, is to learn the layout of the town. Buy some maps of the local area and keep them with you at all times so you can find your way around town if you need to. What stores does your town have? Do they carry the things you need? Where are the local police/fire/EMS and how long would it take for them to get to you in an emergency?

Outside of emergency prep, stock supplies you'll need for class and projects. My mom had a cabinet when we were going to school that she kept full of notebook paper, folders, pens/pencils and things like that. We lived out in the country so if we needed something for school it was a simple matter of taking it out of the supplies instead of driving into town. Same principle applies here. Don't shop at the campus bookstore because they always overcharge for everything. Find better deals in town for those types of items and keep some extras in case you're running late and need something quick.

One thing I've done for work is make efforts to convert my backpack into both a regular bag for carrying school books (I work and go to school) and also as an EDC bag that has some urban touches to it. I have one of those bags you use to carry personal items like soap and shampoo while traveling and I've converted it into a combination hygiene kit/first aid kit. It's a work in progress but I keep things like aspirin, Tums, ibuprofen, bandages and band-aids in there. But I also have it stocked with a small folding toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, nail clippers, a razor and small can of shaving cream, deodorant and even cologne. You're on campus, you're always meeting people and you never know when you might come across that special someone or have an opportunity to network with people. A kit like this allows you to keep in top form and also be ready for small injuries and illnesses. My bag also has an aluminum water bottle in the side pocket. I keep pens and paper stored, along with a flashlight, multitool and calculator. The general guidelines for preparing a BOB apply here (weight, bulkiness, maneuverability). The bag isn't meant to be a cure-all, just something to make your life a lot easier and something that a lot of students probably don't take into consideration. Just make sure to leave room for books.

Hope this helps. If I think of anything else I'll add more.

EDITED TO ADD: It wouldn't be a bad idea to take a CPR and/or first-aid class either. Going back to response times for EMS, those skills can really help in an emergency and since college campuses are basically small communities in their own right, you'd make yourself a more valuable addition to that group.

Offline RodPowley

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Im starting university in September and have been thinking about this alot myself so I am glad to see a thread on the subject. Im hoping their will be a gardening project at the uni as I will miss growing my own fruit and veg as I have at home for the last few years.
Im getting a solar charger for my laptop and solar radio/torch to take as well as my leatherman style multi-tool, small compass and toologic knife.
I have also printed off maps of the university and surrounding area to take with me.

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »
I am about ready to graduate from UNLV here in Nevada and have a few thoughts about the subject.
First before I came to Nevada I went to a state school in farmlands of Wisconsin and came to Las Vegas so I could get a taste if the two extremes of lifestyles. I have to say that even if you can't go to school in a different area atleast try to take the time to take a weekend or springbreak roadtrip to a region different from your own. I think traveling around has definitely opened my eyes at things and how people view it which help me grow up a bit.

Something that has helped me get through school also was having a job, I find if you can get specialized jobs on campus the school will help pay for training and pay you more. My first job was lifeguarding that I did as a summer job in high school. Campus employment is really good about working around school, a note about campus jobs though is that they all pay different based on where you are and what you do. I got a bi-weekly check where others I know had the money just deducted from their tuition bill and others such as Resident Advisors or Rds or whatever the given campus calls them recieve a small check but "free" room and board and a meal plan.
I now only lifeguard at my current school on call as a second job but the school does provide all the training and certification needed. Due to the training it also pays one of the higher wages for starting off. Compared to the typical minimum wage.
Now my second job and the one I work the most at is student security which is actually a branch of the police department. I had to go through the full police backgroundcheck but it was worth it. It is the best starting pay job on my campus for student workers and it mostly consists of opening locked office doors and classrooms and giving lost patrons directions. Now understand that Las Vegas is a city even on campus things happen. Today we had a kid come in saying he was just robbed at gun point on campus. So with the better pay comes a higher risk. For me, it made sense I want to be in federal le. Although some of the guys I work with are going to school to be gym teachers and computer programmers.
Probably the biggest benefit for me is the relationship I have with the officers and dispatchers. If anything happens on campus they can trust me to know, also after awhile some of the officers offered to take me shooting with them and even store a firearm for me at either the station or their home.

As far as food storage goes this is one of the easiest times in your life to store 100 packages of easy mac multiple cases of ramen, and as many poptarts as you can get a hold of and not have people look at you weird. I moved out of the dorms and into a house but now when people ask why I have the food I can just say I picked up the taste while in school and always keep some around.

I'm going to have to skip around I bit as I am writing on my itouch and I can't scroll up or down. The next topic I would bring up is location of school. I have read posts somewhere stating you should not go to a school anymore than a couple hundred miles away and with more than a few thousand people. I think that could be good advice but only in limited circumstances. If you can stay in state I would recommend it as it will be cheaper but I think if you are choosing a school based on it's survival ability in a post SHTF senario you are seriously missing out on a chance to grow and experince life. The main thing is the individual going to school must decided how independant they feel they really are. Many parents may not want their kid to travel outside a comfort zone but if you feel comfortable with your self being across the country, make sure you factor that into your decision. Also note that if you do want to go out of state see if they accept credits from in state schools. Most schools only require you attend for two years to graduate so if you can knock out some prerequisite classes in state you can save some cash.

Now if a SHTF scenario did occur I would be hurting, although you can do things that make it easier on yourself. I am fortunate to have a truck but I also do have a bike and a hiking backpack, I also have found friends in college or from high school that are currently living in the western US that I can bugout to or meet up with on the long return trek home. I have thought about this possibilty and decieded that I am independent enough that I will not collapse at the thought of this task and breakdown and just become a sheep. Secondly a little situational awareness and common sense go far in college whether it be at a bar or party, or a natural disaster make sure you look for the signs and keep up with the news so that you are not taken by surprise when a major event occurs that should have been noticable.

These are just the first few thoughts I had. If I think of anymore sepecific things I have done to better prepare myself I'll be sure to post it.

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Another recommendation is to finish as quickly as possible. Make sure to only drop classes as a last resort and take atleast what is considered a full load 15 or 16 credits. I know a lot of people who are taking minimum amounts and remaining full time students. This is not advisable as the amount you can make once out of school is more than what you can make while in school, also there is a much smaller difference in cost of tuition going from 12 to 15 credits then 9 to 12 as becoming a full time student adds many additional fees. Finally take summer classes if you can. I find they are easier with profs. being more helpful and a lot cheaper. Paying out of state I saved 6k by taking a full load of summer classes as opposed to taking the same classes in a fall or spring semester.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 03:24:54 AM »
When I was a poor college student I had like minded roomates, inexpensive long lasting food stuff, backpacking gear (I used to hike for up to 10+ days at a time), a 12 gauge, and a variety of ammo for the 12 gauge.

I had a variety of places to go to if my place became dangerous or inhospitable.

I had several part time jobs and saved some of my money.

Most importantly, I had a good supply of beer on hand!

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 05:53:08 AM »
My daughter is currently 250 miles away at the University of Texas in Austin.  She lives in an apartment about 1/2 mile from where Joseph Stack crashed his airplane into that IRS building.  I worry most about her being able to get home in case of emergency. 

My temporary solution was to make arrangements for her to stay with a friend of mine a few miles north of the city until I can retrieve her.  I still don't have a good plan.  During hurricanes Ike and Rita, travel was extremely difficult due to gasoline shortages and the police contra-flowing major interstate highways.

Offline The Coyote Kid

• Prepper
  • I only gamble with my life, never my money.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 06:10:52 AM »
Tommy, if you check the board for Region 5 we've got a thread going with ideas to prep for hurricane season. You might check there for some ideas to help your daughter. As for getting home, a good start would be for her to get a map of the area and try to find as many routes out of town as possible and mark them in case she has to get out.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:18:16 AM »
Duh.  That marked map should already exist, and should already be in my daughter's BOB.  It does not, but it will soon. Thank you CK.

Offline "Top" W. Kone

• Survivor
  • 1SG for an HHC in the USAR
    • Busy Poor Dad
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »
On campus. A lot should be seen as the same things that apply to small apartment planning. But many dorms have silly restrictions like no hot plates, microwaves, .50 cal rifles, etc.

I had to live in a similar thing for a while, and found that a small two draw file cabinet to be very handy. The top draw kept all my papers, reports, notes, bills, etc and the file holders covered up the .380 ACP and ammo. Since the room was small, it was right next to my bed and desk at the same time. In the lower draw I kept a hot plate and toaster oven.

My room had a sink, small stand up fridge and a microwave which is what most of the rooms at my current college have i'm told.

Next was places to put extra food. Rolling flat rubbermaid "under the bed" bins were good, I had to put little blocks of wood under the bed legs to get them to fit. Water I put in 1 gallon Hawaiian punch jugs, put them in the closet on the floor and then dropped a 1 by 8 board on top of the lids and put my boots/shoes on that. No floor space loss. I also had a small steno stove tucked behind my books on the book shelf in the room.

We were subject to random inspections of our quarters, I don't think they do that at most colleges these days.

The main trick was to make sure you had what you needed, hidden, but not hidden in a place that stood out.

Today I would take the effort to get to know the Emergency Manager of the College. Their whole job is to plan for emergencies on campus. Talk about how you're interested in the planning side of emergencies, ask about the hazards/vulnerabilities they feel the college is most likely to face and what things they expect the students to do when they happen.

Offline FreelanceCrusader

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »
This thread is great!  Thanks for everyone's input. This is just what I needed for idea's/motivation.

Offline templar223

• Survivor
    • GSL Defense Training
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »
I'm not a college student today, but I was one some years ago.  Spent all four years in the dorms (don't pity me, I had a single room - one of about 4 dozen at UI - for 2.5 years).

If i were doing it again today, I'd research a bit on what the likely threats are, how the neighborhoods next to the college are (mixed residential?  slums? commercial?) and assess those for risks.

If you've got your car on campus, you've got your escape pod.  It's your lifeline in an emergency, both as transportation and if you can't drive away for whatever reason, the trunk should be chock full of supplies.

Off the top of my head, those should include, regardless of your sex (or lack thereof):

* Leather work gloves & sturdy boots.
* Polypro top & bottoms x2, and wool socks and quality (goretex) gloves.
* Goretex outerwear (being in the rain wearing cotton when it's 35 degrees can be fatal before you realize it).
* Several packs of hand and body warmers.
* Couple of quality, modern LED flashlights.
* Extra AA and D-cell batteries.
* A decent quality sleeping bag, pillow & wool blanket.
* Some canned food (two or three beef stews, heavy soups, etc.)
* Three to six Mountain House-type backpacking meals (4-person preferred... they are light on calories)
* At least a half-case if not a full case of MREs.
* Half-case of water, minimum (in a cooler or container to control for minor leakage as they freeze)
* Some sort of camping stove (Jetboil rocks, Esbit at bare minimum with lots of spare fuel bars)
* Backpack with a "light" 72-hour kit
* An LED lantern or two (Ray-o-Vac's Sportsman Extreme D-cell kicks butt)
* Either a ham or other HT (FRS minimum).  AA-battery powered.
* Medications you might need.
* Water filtration (First Need, Katadyn Pocket, Sweetwater Guardian or similar).
* Couple hundred $ in emergency cash and maybe a credit card.
* Basic hand tools & jumper cables.
* Basic first aid kit.
* FULL tank of gas.  Keep it full!

* Firearms as permissible.  (When I was in school, they were supposed to be registered with the campus police.  When they closed the on-campus range, I quit registering them and just left them in my trunk).  I kept mine all four years in the trunk and didn't tell a soul they were there.  Never needed them, but it was reassuring to know they were a short distance away.

The biggest threat you're probably going to face on a campus in the northern states is a bad winter storm and loss of power/heat.  We had one of those my senior year in college.  Fortunately for me, the UI had all of its power lines underground (and did their generation on campus at the UI power station) and I was unaffected.  Everyone off campus went a minimum of 3-4 days without power, and some as long as a week or more in town and MORE in the country.  My fellow students complained of very COLD nights, lots of messes from their refrigerator (clean it out before stuff starts to melt/rot!), nothing to eat and no hot water.  Lots of downed trees limited travel too in the day or two after the ice storm hit.

Lastly, I'd try to make some off-campus friends if I was going to college in a town other than where I grew up.  Become active in a local range or gun rights organization.  Make friends.  This will open doors to you in event of an emergency that you can't get away from.

John

Offline Whind Soull

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »
When I started college, I was firmly committed to NOT live in a dorm on campus, and NOT go without a vehicle.  That eliminated college that require you to live on campus.

I got an apartment off campus, and brought my truck with me.

After a year, I have:

Three months worth of canned goods
A reloading station in my bedroom (where I reload ammo like crazy)
2,000 rounds of SHTF ammo, stored in .50 cal ammo cans
50 gallons of water
A well-stocked bug out bag
An APR with P100 filters in case of a chemical warfare event
20 gallons of stabilized gasoline, and I keep my truck's gas tank 3/4 full at all times.

Also, my roommate is like-minded, and has similar preps.  We've actually started cross-buying fiearms to have commonality of ammo and parts.

Regards,
Whind Soull

Offline KatieH

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 12:36:05 AM »
I'm currently at University, studying Defence Studies and Geography so I can eventually become a Natural Hazards advisor. I've been interested in prepping for awhile but have only just started doing something about it. I live in a house with 4 other university students who are in no way preppers, so I'm doing the prepping for us. I control the finances and do the shopping for the flat so it means I just chuck in a couple more of each item when we buy it depending on how much money is left after the main shop. We have a very limited budget but  right now, I'd say we have about a week of food storage at the moment since I only started very recently but I'm slowing building. I've also swapped some of my fresh ingredients for canned ingredients so I can rotate easier.

Personally, I have a good emergency vehicle kit since I travel long distance over roads that potentially could snow me in. I also snowboard so could easily be stranded on or around the mountain so the kit has a good supply of food, warm clothing, water etc. I'm also working on building a BOB that is designed to get me out of the area and to a safe haven (to 1 of a number of potential friends that would let me stay for awhile) if something was to happen locally or regionally. If something were to happen while I was at campus, it is only 8 minutes drive away so I can easily walk home. But that's if nothing happens to the bridge that spans the massive Manawatu River. If for some reason I'm not able to cross the river that way, I'd face a long walk home which cause me to be out in the open at night time so i keep a little kit in my bag that has a emergency blanket, poncho, some food and water and a mini first aid kit. I'm usually wearing a warm jacket (especially at this time of year when its freezing) and decent shoes that should get me home hopefully.

Offline Grizzly_Adams

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Without having read any of this thread, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's awesome and make sure I'm notified of future replies.

I have been dedicating a lot of thought and effort to a similar endeavor. I graduated from college in December of 2009, and my college experience is rather fresh in my mind. Since then, I've lived for a number of months with my new in-laws and have just moved into an apartment in a more developed, coastal community in Florida. I can already tell this thread will be helpful in my own work in blogging about adapting prepping for individuals in alternative housing situations.

Offline Hobbes_STi

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »
Well I was thinking this when I suggested this idea. Being in the controlled campus environment has some hurdles to overcome. Most colleges are anti-firearm (at least the ones i have gone to) and you have real space constraints. So the things I figure that one can do to prep are limited, unless you go to school where family lives or you chose to live off campus and commute. So here is the list of things I think are prudent.
1) Learn where you are and how to egress
2) stockpile the food and water that you reasonably can
3) Get maps of the area and study them
4) if you have a car keep it as full of fuel as you can
5) take courses that give you real world skills (first aid, EMT, or even paramedic, martial arts, what ever is available and prudent)
6) Plan, Plan, Plan
7) keep in good physical shape...
I will add to this as i can

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:03 AM »
If you are looking for free real world skills, look at the college jobs available on campus, I was a lifeguard and got all of my recertifications every year paid for by the campus, it saved me a few hundred bucks over the years.

Also I posted this on a different board, but if you have a recycling center near by and are looking for a bit of extra cash, a favorite past time of my buddies and I was to go to parties and enjoy it whether we drank or not and then the next morning would offer to help clean up (except for the bathrooms) and then take all the empty cans at the party to get some cash, in wisconsin it was by the pound but I remember my cousin driving down from Michigan U.P. on weekends and filling his jeep up so he could get 5cents a can which definitely covered the next weeks festivities.
Enjoy it, it goes fast I know, just got an email saying my diploma arrives in the mail next week. :)

Offline ReadyMom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 05:37:35 PM »
Here is some information that I have distributed at public presentations for pandemic & emergency preparedness for college students. I hope you find it helpful.

This list was developed by a ReadyMoms Alliance member, who is also a teacher:

College Students 'Grab & Go' Bag
http://mindspinner.net/docs/collegegobag.pdf

Note: “Go Bag” needs will vary according to evacuation plans and environments to be encountered. Plan bag contents accordingly but do not discount the fact that the best-laid travel plans may fall apart, requiring a student to be resourceful and well prepared for a variety of scenarios. Having a Plan A (for getting home) and a Plan B (for harboring in a safe place that’s easier to reach) is advisable.

Bag Choices:
Rolling bag, large duffle bag, backpacking pack -
consider possible routes and circumstances in
choosing bag type

Don’t forget:
• Wallet with ID, credit/debit cards
• Vital papers
• Cell phone
• Seasonal outerwear

Keep in the bag:
• Go Plans A, B, and C with Essential Contacts
(Develop fill-in-the-blank form.)
• Maps needed for Plans A, B, & C. Put these inthe gallon sized Ziploc bag, too. Handheld GPS helpful, but requires batteries, so maps are backup.
• Emergency cash (in small bills)
• Pad of large post-its or a small notepad, pencil and/or Sharpie (for notes and paper trail re whereabouts, left at points along the journey)
• Survival Guide (Suggestion: bookmark essential information in advance.)
• Surviving A Disaster, Evacuation Strategies and Emergency Kits For Staying Alive, by Tony Nester (64 pages, succinct guideto essentials, with a focus on bugging out)
• Survival: A Manual That Could Save Your Life by Chris Janowsky. (208 pages, covers essentials effectively, especially for colder climates)
• How to Survive Anything, Anywhere: A Handbook of Survival Skills for Every Scenerio and Environment, by Chris
McNab (320 pages, covers all environments, best illustrations)
• When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes, by Cody Lundin (450 pages, detailed, matter of fact, entertaining)
Note: Keep all documents in a 1-gallon Ziploc bag so that they will stay dry.
• Cell phone crank charger with correct adapter for current cell phone
• Small emergency crank radio
• Flashlight or lantern (crank-style or pack extra batteries)
• Folding knife or multi-tool
• Sunglasses
• Folding binoculars
• Whistle
• Compass (Look for whistle/compass combinations.)
• Mirror (compact)
• Watch
• Fishing line, hooks, weight and bobber, lures suited to the area, and one small can of whole kernel corn if in crappy/bluegill country
• Camp saw or hacksaw and/or hatchet
• Work gloves
• Change of clothes (think layers) and walking shoes
• Extra socks and underwear (4 pairs)
• Strong, thin rope, such as nylon paracord and/ nylon twine
• Two lawn-sized garbage bags or barrel liners (for rainwear or keeping sleeping bag dry)
• Tarp or backpacking tent if student may have to bike or walk some manageable distance.
• Clear plastic sheet and aquarium tubing (for solar still, include directions)
• Two drawstring tall kitchen garbage bags
• Blanket or backpacking sleeping bag
• Space blanket(s)
• Water disinfection tablets or a small bottle of iodine (with instructions)
• Sturdy water bottle or canteen with wide mouth for easier cleaning (2 recommended)
• Box of gallon-sized Ziploc freezer bags for water collection and other uses
• Duct tape - travel-sized roll or partly used roll is best, to save space and weight.
• Nonperishable high energy foods - Crackers, peanut butter, single-serving jellies, dried fruits, trail mix, candy (M&Ms, jelly beans, hard candy), muesli or granola, instant oatmeal, instant rice, dry soup mixes, cocoa mix, tea bags, coffee, powdered milk, Tang. MREs or Mountain House meals offer another alternative.
• Matches (in Ziploc bag), lighter, Blastmatch, or other firestarter (not to be used in dorm)
• Heat Cell or EcoFuel (not to be used in dorm, but safe to use indoors, 1-2 cans), plus fold down cook stand.
• Also consider - minimum fuel camp stove plus fuel
• Mess kit (Cooking pot with lid, camp plate, cup, utensils)
• Small travel bottle of dishsoap or dish wipes
• Small pack of hand wipes or baby wipes
• 2 camp towels (one for body, one to dry dishes),
• 2-4 prewashed bandanas (multiple uses - washcloth, folded for potholder or water filter, headband)
• Travel-size soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush
• Roll of toilet paper
• Tampons and sanitary pads (women)
• Insect repellant
• Sunscreen
• Travel sewing kit, safety pins
• Basic first aid kit, including wrap and adhesive bandages, padded dressings, antiseptic, butterfly bandages, medical tape, tweezers and scissors.
• Medications (OTC and prescription)
• Latex or nitrile gloves (5 pairs)
• N95 masks and fit instructions (5+)

Offline ReadyMom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
College Student's Two Week Food Box

This box was prepared for our finicky DD. If you decide to do this, you can alter the box to the taste of your own student. I have to say that this box came home complete. Nothing was taken out during the year.

The reasons for the box are multiple:
*Your Student may need to be quarantined in their room in the event of an large-scale outbreak (like the pandemic flu, last fall) or other attack.
*Your Student may not be able to get home in a large-scale emergency.
*Your Student may be able to get to stay with a family in the area, if they have two weeks of food to offer.
*You Student may leave the box behind for a friend, if they can get home, but the friend cannot.

The Two-Week Food Box is a tub that is labeled and duct taped. Her bed is raised about 3 ft. off the floor. She has drawers under the bed, and the tub/tote fits behind the drawers where it's really hard to get at.

I had to be creative with the food box, so that it contained foods that she would eat. I told her that she can open it up and eat it all at the end of the year. It includes:

(the dinners are fully cooked, 90 second heat up in mircrowave - there's one in her room. If she has to eat them cold ... then she eats them cold)
(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Chicken breast/potato/gravy)
(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Turkey/Stuffing/gravy)
(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Roast Beef/Potato/gravy)
(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Beef Tips/Potato/gravy
(6) Canned Corn (Individual serving pop top cans)
(6) Canned Green Beans (Individual serving pop top cans)
(6) Success Rice boil-in-a-bag *
(3) pkg. of chicken noodle soup*
(6) Ramen Noodles (Chicken)
(6) Soup-Campbells Chicken & Stars w/ pop top
(3) Dry Gravy Pkts-Chicken
(3) Dry Gravy Pkts-Beef
(2) Sm. Peanut Butter
(5) Pkg. of Graham Crackers-4sheets/pkg*
(10) Chewy Granola Bars*
(12) Apple Sauce (Cinnamon,snack size)
(6) Cheerios-Single serve*
(6) Rice Krispies-SIngle Serve*
(3) Gold Fish Crackers-Single Serve*
( 8 ) Teddy Graham Crackers-Single Serve*
( 8 ) Vanilla Frosting-to dip Teddy Grahams-Single serve*
(2) 6pk Snickers Bars
(1) Bag Reese Peanut Butter M&M's
(2) 6pk Reese Peanut Butter Cups
(1) 12 pk. of shelf stable milk
(15) Hot Chocolate Envelopes
(60) Tea Bags - 3 20/pk packages*
(6) Gatorade-32 oz bottles (had to pack in a sm. duffle bag, it made the tote too heavy. Tote was already heavy!)

Items with * were all vacuum sealed for freshness. I made miniature labels for each package and vacuumed it into the pack for easy identification. I also printed small cooking directions for each package.

I also included 14 each: paper plates, paper bowls, plastic knife,fork,spoon.

She has a stock of cases of water in her room and her car is with her, where she keeps more cases.

I know that I will have  done all that I can to keep her safe. She is only 2 hours away. I'm thinking w/ current situation, we can get her home. If not, in her room she's got a good flu kit, a decent two-week food box, a basic first aid kit,and an additional FULL first aid duffel bag in her car!)

Offline ReadyMom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
College Student's Flu Kit
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19867560/Handout-RMA-College-Student-FluKit

This kit was prepared specifically for the pandemic flu. Since, there is concern that a 2nd wave will circulate, this fall, I'll be sending it with our DD, again. The other nice thing is that if she gets sick with an every day cold or other 'flu-like' illness, she'll have what she needs when the nurse is not on site (which is after 4pm on weekdays and all weekend!)

Her FLU KIT included:
-N95 Masks (several styles) (with instructions on use)
-Latex free gloves (with instructions on proper removal)
-shower cap
-Hand sanitizer
-Disposable Thermometers
-Tissues
-Pain Relief (Tylenol)
-Anti Nausea
-Anti-Diarrhea
-Tamiflu
-Relenza
-CDC Guidance on Home Care for Flu

Offline ReadyMom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
College Student's MEDICAL Kit

In addition to the 'Flu Kit' that is posted,above, I have a general dorm-room 'Medical Kit' for our daughter. She's used it several time and friends have come knocking at her door, knowing she had something they needed.  :D

When our DD leaves, each fall, I update her medical/flu supplies. I used a great 'tool' bag I found pretty inexpensively @ KMart (Tool Dept.) for her medical kit. It looks like a doctor's bag, when it opens.

Her Dorm-room 'Medical Kit' is in ADDITION to her 'Flu Kit', because it is basic First Aid stuff. Below is a combined list of the 'Flu' and 'Medical'. I( designated 'Flu' with an 'F'):  *Don't forget to keep a list in the bag, so you can inventory the bag each year!

FLU Kit-F   MEDICAL (Medical Bag)
   Alcohol Swabs
   Antibiotic cream
(F)   Anti-Diarrhea
   Anti-Itch (Hydrotortisone) Cream
(F)   Anti-Nausea
   Band Aids-2x4"
   Bandaids
   claritin
   Cotton Balls
   Cough & Cold-Day
   Cough & Cold-Night
   Cough Drops
   Cranberry Gel Caps
(F)   Flu-Home Care Guide
   Gatorade, PowerAde, or Pedialyte beverage
   Gauze pads-2x2"
(F)   Gloves-Instructions
(F)   Gloves-Latex Free Surgical Style
(F)   Hand Sanitizer
   Instant Cold Packs
(F)   Lysol wipe/Disinfectant wipes
(F)   Masks-Instructions for wearing
(F)   Masks-N95 Style
   Medicine
   Needles
(F)   Pain Relief-Acetaminophen/Tylenol
   Pain Relief-Ibuprofen/Motrin
   Q-tips
   Shower Cap
(F)   Sip Cup 2/Straws
(F)   Soup-Instant Chicken
   Tape-1" Roll
   Thermometer
   Thermometer-Covers
(F)   Thermometers-Disposable
(F)   Tissues
   Tums
   Tweezers
   Wash Cloth
   Water-1 bottle

Offline ReadyMom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
Another good source of prepping info for college students, can be found at GetPandemicReady.org (See: Special Concerns --> College Students.  There is a page for college students w/some ideas. Here's the PDF version:  http://www.getpandemicready.org/

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »
Holy smokes readymom you are burning up the board tonight.......go get'em.  Anyway I like the listing of items in the kits that you have put together for her.  I especially like how you broke it down into various categories. 

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »
+1 for an excellent post. I have a kid in college and did some of this for her, but I will definitely take it up a notch! Thanks!

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
My son received a packed Alice pack last year for Christmas.  This year is new bride is getting hers (not an Alice pack, but I've learned a bit since then).

Also... GET RENTER'S INSURANCE!!!    My son pays about $90 a year for around $13,000 of coverage. 

Offline boboroshi

• Survivor
    • Sfumato Farm
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »
When I was in college, the beds we had were bunked, but they were metal frames attached to H supports on either end. We flipped the frames in the vertical supports and went from 9" under the bed to about 2 feet. This gave us a lot more storage space.

If you have a student worried about OPSEC in regards to having all that gear in their room, say "It's for camping" and make it *look* as such. Packed pack, tent, sleeping bag, etc.

The big thing with sharing a room (Freshman year, especially) is that you never know who you're going to get. My first roommate was a football guy who spilled beer all over my music equipment. We traded up and I was much happier with my second roommate.

You can always get a 5x5 storage unit off campus, which could hold a lot of supplies, including firearms (since most college campuses prohibit them) and other storables. Many of these are now climate controlled as well.

The big thing is mindset, getting from school to a secure location in severe situations (regional, national, global) and then also dealing with smaller day in/day out issues or threats. Work up a threat matrix with them and see what's going on.