Author Topic: Chainsaw Information / Recommendations?  (Read 4876 times)

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
Chainsaw Information / Recommendations?
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:53:59 PM »
I did a search of the forums and couldn't really find the info I was looking for, so here goes...

I live in Florida and have lots of trees on my property.  There are more than a few smaller ones that could stand to be cut down.  I want to get a chainsaw to meet this need and to also serve as a tool in my survival tool set.  I am familiar with safe use of a chainsaw, but don't really have any knowledge of what size I need or what brands/models to look for.

I don't forsee needing to build a log cabin or clear-cut a forest, but I would like to take care of things around the yard and be able to cut through a downed tree, blocking my way, if the SHTF.

What recommendations and information can you share with me?

Thank you!

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
Re: Chainsaw Information / Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »
First off welcome to the forum! How did you hear of us? (just curious...)

Sounds like you dont need a BIG saw.  For triming, taking care of the occasional felled tree and perhaps making some small accumulations of fire wood you can get way with a saw in the 49 cc class.

Stihl, Husqvarna and Jonsred are about the big three commercial saws out there.  They all make small trimmers all the way up to giant felling saws.

I suggest surfing the web and check out their sites.  Each one has their own good and bad quirks but all are dependable and last along time.  Budgets on these models range between $200-$300 for a decent 49-50 cc saw with 16 inch blade.

Another  source for a good first saw would be Sears.  they have a good selection and are a little cheaper ($175-$250) and when you blow it up (as most first saws do due to owner miss use) you can gain the experience you learned and invest it into another saw that will last even longer

If you do get one, learn how to hand sharpen the chains, make minor repairs and adjustments.  And learn the importance of well mixed gas fo it

Its a good tool to have and is a god send when needed  Learn its use and limitations and it will serve you well.

Hope this helps

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3290.aspx?nid=61030&pid=63481

If you got big trees, you need a big saw with a big bar! If you think a 16" bar will handle your trees then a chainsaw in the +or- 35cc range should be good enough! The 455 Rancher is a good powerful chainsaw in the the 55cc range. Bigger saws are more tiring to handle, but sometimes get the job done quicker!

Here is a list of the "Homeowner" chainsaws: http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3288.aspx?nid=60908

If all you will ever cut down are smaller trees (16" bar), it is hard to beat this little Husqvarna chainshaw. This will also handle larger trees on occasion if needed! Had one for years (older model 36) and when I moved to the farm I needed (also wanted)something bigger so I purchased a Husqvarna 357 XP http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3295.aspx?nid=79185&pid=36100

The 20" bar on the 357 XP allows me to cut up any larger trees that sometimes fall. Back during an ice storm a few years back, I had to cut 60 8" white pines out of my driveway to get to the hard top! Luckily I had 2 saws, plenty of sharp extra chains (when I cut I don't wanna bother sharpening chains until I get the job done).

A good saw is pleasure to operate!!!

Don't forget safety chaps as getting one to cut on you SUCKS! The leg you save may be your own. I will not operate a chainsaw without wearing a pair! Good idea to stock up on parts (spark plugs/filters) oil mix, chain lube, sprocket grease, chains, an extra bar, and some method of sharpening (dremel makes a nice attachment or get the CORRECT files for your chain).

I just really like 'Huskies' but Stihl makes a good saw. I am hearing rave reviews about the Echo. Jonsred and Shindawa are also great. My experience is with Huskies so that is all I have ever needed!

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
+1 on the replys so far. Keep in mind a chainsaw with out a chain is worthless. Buy 2 extra, learn to file the ones you have.

tash

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »
There is a little bit of information about baileys and my chainsaws in this thread, about half way down. THREAD

IMHO Stihl is the way to go. For example, I would recommend this ONE for the average joe. Yes, it does cost a little more, but with proper care and maintenance, it can almost last a life time. Plus, if you need to cut bigger, just have a larger bar and chain sitting on the shelf if you need it. That's prob 60 bucks for that but it would make it one of the most versatile cutters out there.

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:01:59 AM »
I'd recommend getting one a little larger than you think you need. The extra size will obviously be good for "that" big tree that you thought would never fall, but larger saws are heavier and will give a little extra protection against kickback.

I've got a Stihl 361 and it is the best saw I've ever used, good ergo's, low vibration, easy to start, and enough power to cut through dry bois d'arc (need to resharpen that chain).

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 08:40:12 AM »
Stihl, there is no other chainsaw. I and/or members of my family have owned several Stihls and Husqis, the Stihls are all original with only chain maintenance after over 10 years. The Husqis have never made it more than a few years. I can't comment on Jansored.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 02:00:09 PM »
Well, I may be the "lightweight" here as far as my chainsaw goes, but...

I've got a Homelite 14" that I love.  I think it was about $100.00 at Home Depot 8 years ago.  I've always gotten good service out of the Homelite brand.  With a 14" bar, it's light enough for me to actually carry around or climb trees with and I need a lot less storage room than the bigger saws require when it's time to toss it in a vehicle.  If you don't have it with you when you "need" it, then it's pretty much worthless.  A 14" bar can take apart a 28" diameter tree, you just have to hit it from both sides.  As others have said, learn to sharpen your own chains, buy the correct tools to do so and you'll be able to do more with a sharp 10" saw than anyone can do with a dull 24" saw.

I've got a wicked chainsaw attachment for my weedeater, this thing cuts through wood like a banshee!  I've cut 20" trees down with it and it's only got an 8"bar.  So "little" doesn't always mean "incapable".  You just have to be creative and do a little more cutting.  I've even started throwing it in the truck for "bad weather" times and it has some advantages over chainsaws such as the extended reach.

Tim.

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »
Stihl 440 here with a 20" bar.  I do love that saw.  I bought it when I lost over a hundred 75+ foot oaks to a hurricane.  The saw handled that and has run like a champ for the last 5 yrs.  That said there is something to be said for the "disposable" saw.  If you're not going to use it a lot and hard I know several people who are happy with their Poulan Wild Things.  You can get these w/ a 16" bar for under $150 and just get another every 2 or 3 years as they wear out.

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »
First off welcome to the forum! How did you hear of us? (just curious...)

I found the forums from the podcast.  Found the podcast on iTunes.  Just recently got my first iPod and that led (forced) me to install iTunes.  I'm not sure what made me plug "Survival" into the search window.  Probably the election.  LOL!

Great, great, great information from the above replies.  Thank you all for the info.  Keep it coming if you have something to add!

8)

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
Another Option is an ELECTRIC chain saw. Granted when the power fails like when you really need it, you are SCREWED... unless you have a generator or a vehicle powered inverter. One fellar I know uses this while camping (trailer camping) to trim firewood for his use. Sure is QUIET in the campgrounds so as to not annoy the other patrons. This might be a quieter method of procuring firewood WTSHTF and you don't wanna make much noise...

However I personally wouldn't go this route, but thought I'd offer this as an IDEA to think about, not as a solution...

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »
Hi, My names Bailey and I'm a Stihlaholic....