Author Topic: Quality fast access gear vs anonymity  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Quality fast access gear vs anonymity
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:11:42 AM »
This was discussed a little in one of the other threads but I think it deserves a topic of its own.  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=13232.0

I know this is going to be more of a personal opinion than anything but I'd be curious to see the ideas and particularly interested in any real world experience from those actively in high risk situations that may have a bit more experience on the subject than this computer tech does :).

In my opinion, the element of surprise is worth its weight in gold.  So I am leaning more toward anonymity in my carry gear.  (I chose to stay with my current laptop bag rather than upgrade to the Maxpedition I have been eyeballing for this very reason thanks to some very reasonable arguments in the other thread). 

However, I can also see well built purpose designed equipment in a well trained persons hands can increase speed and reaction time which could also be a major benefit.

I don't feel one is better than the other, every situation and location you encounter may be different (Since one criminal may be well thought out and paying attention to the people he plans to attack and another won't have a clue).  However, I think it warrants some discussion if for any reason, just to keep us thinking on our feet about possibilities.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
Re: Quality fast access gear vs anonymity
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:21:59 AM »
Its never a good idea to draw unneeded attention to your self, however, looking at it from the bad guys side, I would much sooner crack you on the melon for a laptop I could take to the pawnshop than I would a pack full of who knows what. I see many more people with packs anymore than I do carrying laptop bags. Most of the time people now carry their laptops in a pack.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »
Another excellent point I hadn't considered.  So probably a cheap looking messenger style bag would be a better alternative.  Looks more like paperwork than a laptop.

I'm lucky my EDC laptop is a small Dell 12 inch tablet so I can fit it pretty easy in anything and make it less conspicuous.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:29:33 AM »
A good sling pack may be a good alternative for you if you have never looked at them. Some even have a laptop pocket with extra padding.

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:47:37 AM »
We all know my preference, LOL, but there are a number of messenger bags on the market that look perfectly "normal" but are intended for CCW. With a few quick searches, this is the most innocuous one I came across.

Blackhawk Covert Carry Messenger Bag

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
My daily carry is a laptop backpack. It just functions better for me than a traditional laptop bag. I am looking for another bag, smaller in size, that I can carry with me when I don't need the laptop. I must admit that Gray Ghost's post has fuel that fire. I used to be the guy who made fun of "man bags", but as my daily carry increases I find myself looking for something suitable. Functional yet fashionable!

I think I prefer inconspicuous myself. Lately it seems as though you can have a tactical bag and still blend in.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:04:40 AM »
I have a Targus Backpack sittign at home i've had for years, just storing some rapid access computer gear and cables.  I've considered it but it is just way to big for EDC.  (If I outgrow my Kit bag at work, I may swap it for that thought, Backpacks are just the better option for get home or 3 day kits in my opinion for ease of carry).

I was one of those "Fanny Pack" guys back when they were just geeky and I didn't carry any real useful prep gear.  My wife talked me down, so I don't use it any more.  I like the idea of the new water bottle maxpeditions.  They are inconspicuous enough (and not at all murse looking :) ).  Use that for my EDC everywhere (Since I only carry my Laptop bag to/from work and for extended trips to the local "City".  But I don't always carry it as its too bulky.  A good compromise between the fanny pack/water bottle, just big enough to hold a 12 inch tablet would be ideal though.  But inconspicuous.  I've considered building a "Fake" water bottle holder for EDC.  Something that looks like a water bottle carrier but really only has the top of a water bottle sticking up out of it.  Kind of an incognito kit bag that wouldn't garner a second look from anyone.  But its still just a bit small.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
Doc, Maxpedition is restocking the 12x5 Bottle carrier it's big enough to hold a wine bottle. That may be the size you're looking for

TheRoot

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:21:42 AM »
I use an Adidas pack that has a laptop section in it. It just looks like a regular backpack, it is comfortable even when fully loaded and it can accommodate more than my EDC gear and a few other BO and "get home" systems. http://www.intheholegolf.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=0305080501 on top of all of that, it is comfortable when full.

There are so many quality bags out there that are inexpensive, comfortable, discreet and very functional it would be in ones best interest to search well beyond the realm of "tactical" gear. Don't get me wrong, the tactical systems ( Maxpedition, Blackhawk, etc.) are great and if that is what your after more power to ya, but often I think once some people decide that they are going to pack survival gear and possibly conceal / carry, all the sudden they have to get the milti-cam MOLLE equipped tactical bag.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:41:11 AM »
I use a North Face Borealis backpack.  It is just the right size for what I need, and has 3 compartments. The main compartment has a laptop area, and it protects it reasonably well.

It is not "fast action gear" in that it must be deslung to get at. However, I keep the front pocket empty except when I'm using it to carry (usually my firearm is body-carried, though). Anything I might need to get at quick is in there.

I've mentioned it in other posts, but I think a hip-belt is important for any gear that you might have the possibility of having to hike with. For these distances, shoulders are for load stabilization, not load bearing.

The pack is built quite well, is reasonably strong (North Face being a higher end consumer/pro grade expedition equipment manufacturer), and is gray-man enough to blend in. If I could somehow mask my dashingly handsome good looks, I could fit right in with a pack like this!   ::)

My particular one is black. They come in multiple colors.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
Even ignoring the fact that California doesn't allow concealed carry (unless you are rich/famous/connected) just the bag alone will get you ripped off in the Counties of Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino.  There are millions of scummy people who would notice that bag a block away and would be drawn like a magnet.  Not to mention your body language, since you know the bag contains valuables so must be protected.  Something from the surplus or thrift store would be more practical.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
Not necessarily.

Load that pack with a few blankets, tie it to the bumper of your car and drag it a few miles.  Stomp it in the mud every chance you get, then, toss it in the washing machine with warm water and on the regular cycle, let air dry (or better yet, take it to a laundromat and do it).

Yes, I know it'll look ratty when it's done. . .that's the idea.

The Professor

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »
Even ignoring the fact that California doesn't allow concealed carry (unless you are rich/famous/connected) just the bag alone will get you ripped off in the Counties of Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino.  There are millions of scummy people who would notice that bag a block away and would be drawn like a magnet.  Not to mention your body language, since you know the bag contains valuables so must be protected.  Something from the surplus or thrift store would be more practical.

I have carried that bag for years in Fontana. No problem at all.

TW

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »
I have carried that bag for years in Fontana. No problem at all.
TW

I stand corrected.  I guess working on apartment buildings in Sylmar, North Hollywood, Pico/Union, Long Beach, Canoga Park, Hollywood, etc, might have contributed to my paranoia   ;D

Offline Commissioner

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
After a year of waffling, I got a bag from Saddleback Leather Company.  Cry once with the big pricetag or cry many times when the equipment fails.  By the way, after sixty days, I love the bag more every day.  I opted for the large size and couldn't be happier.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
I have a backpack with a seperate laptop bag inside that I got from Walmart. (actually, I have two of them. $10 clearance). They are pretty large. For the distance I would have to travel to get home (about 6 1/2 miles), it would work well.  If I would be going out of town (or state), I have a larger one with even more stuff in it. (room for a tent and or firearm inside, if needed.)  Just "Plain Jane" bags.