Author Topic: "Safe Words"  (Read 1894 times)

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
"Safe Words"
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »
I was reading on another forum that I am on that some people had "safe" words or phrases that they could use that their families knew meant they were in trouble. They were talking about this in the context of a domestic abuse situation, but I was wondering if anybody here used certain normal sounding phrases that their family knew meant trouble? Any thoughts on the subjects?

-ki-

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: "Safe Words"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:55 PM »
I don't know if this is what your talking about but if I ask my wife if she saved the giblets from the turkey she knows its not safe to talk.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
My oldest friend and I have the term "Alas Babylon" on standby with the knowledge that if one of us uses it in an email or conversation, the other will take every word completely seriously, even if it means unassing the AO and heading to his pos. in Texas or him coming to Va. immediately.  Never have used it.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
Mine with the wife is my 2YO's stuffed bear.  If I ask her "how's ________ doing?"  I'm in trouble, likewise.

J

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »
Very interesting.
One is reminded of the old military trick of extending the middle finger when being photographed for propaganda.
Perhaps something like "Be sure and feed the cat." when the family owns no cat.
Or, "How is your aunt Sally?" when there is no aunt Sally.
You actually wouldn't need to pre-establish the word or phrase. Just make sure everyone understands that if you say something nonsensical it is a sign there is an emergency.
In a foreign country, if being held against your will and forced to make a statement, one could say something like, "I am very happily treated by my good hosts. They are very much to be thanked."