Author Topic: What is the First Rule of Survival?  (Read 32275 times)

Offline jaegersapper

• Survivor
Re: What is the First Rule of Survival?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:14 PM »
Having the correct mind set.

I agree nc, the way I look at it is to be willing to do things you never thought you would do.

Everything said so far are good rules to live by, but it doesn't matter what kind of guns, training,
preps, etc that you have. If you cant get into the mind set that things have changed, possibly for ever,
you will fail.  Survival is not a good thing to fail at.

Just my 2 cents.  YMMV

P.S. - GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:18 PM »
For me, the first rule of survival is "Never Give Up!"

Everything else is just circumstances. You can have knowledge or lack it, have gear or have it not, be lucky or not be.

Some survival situations are not survivable.

Some survival situations are not survivable unless you just flatly refuse to lay down & die.

They did tests with rats in large containers of water.  If there was no possibility of escape, the rats would give up and drown in a fairly short time.

If there was a ledge that led to safety just out of reach of the rats, the rats would keep trying to reach the ledge, and would stay afloat FAR longer than their hopeless brethren.

Never Give Up!

Mental Avenger

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 09:28:13 AM »
There have been many opinions regarding the First Rule of Survival, all of them important elements of the survival concept.  However, there can be only one “First” rule. This forum is all about preparation and information, and I think that says it all.  That is why we are all here, gathering the information that will increase our chances of survival, and preparing for the possibility of an event that will test that knowledge.  IMO that is the key, preparing now and not waiting until it is too late.

We cannot foresee what will happen.  We cannot be certain what our attitude will be when actually put to the test.  We cannot predict how strong our will to survive will be when the time comes.  But, we CAN do those things now which will increase the likelihood that we will have a good attitude and strong will to survive if TSHTF.  Preparation increases confidence, confidence improves attitude, and attitude determines relative success.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 10:47:59 AM »
There is no "first rule", or there are many "first rules". Either way, I doubt the endeavor can be prioritized effectively since it is so multifaceted.

I also doubt that one person's well thought out list of rules applies to another, so to say there IS a first rule is oversimplification.

If I were to rephrase the question "What is the most important qualities of the survival mindset", it might be more accurate.

To answer that, I would say a fluid mind.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 10:57:18 AM »

Does that mean I need to drink more alcohol?  LOL

Sorry couldn't help myself. :)

I still think this post sums it up.

Survival is not a situation.  Its a mental state.  You can't prepare for every contingency, but you can prepare to deal with any contingency.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
How about eat a hardy breakfast?

if SHTF on the way to work, you just missed out on lunch AND dinner - those extra few flapjacks and strips of bacon just might hold you through the rest of the day without feeling like crap! And everyone knows you need protien to sustain yourself while mowing through hordes of zombies.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
The first rule of survial is to be a survivor.
This is a synthisis of 3 things; body, mind, spirit/heart (listed with the first thing being the least important, the last, being most important, prolly along the lines of 1,10,100 if I were to place a value on them)

Preps and tools (body) don't do you any good if you don't know what to do with them.
Skill/training is of no avail if you haven't the heart to employ what you know.
Heart is what will pull you through.

Are you familiar with Roy Benavidez?

"...reinstilling in them a will to live and fight. "
 "His indomitable spirit kept him going..."
"...and his refusal to be stopped..."

Roy Benavidez was armed.
And he was well trained (spec ops)
Is that waht got him though his survival situation?

Spirit is the most important aspect of survival. The problem is that it is the hardest one to define. the hardest to quantify. the hardest to train. I'm not entirely sure it IS trainable...

Mental Avenger

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 08:46:44 PM »
There is no "first rule", or there are many "first rules". Either way, I doubt the endeavor can be prioritized effectively since it is so multifaceted.
In your opinion.  If preparation and information were not the highest priority, what are we all doing here on this forum?

If I were to rephrase the question "What is the most important qualities of the survival mindset", it might be more accurate.

There is no "most important qualities", or there are many "most important qualities".   8)

Mental Avenger

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »
Spirit is the most important aspect of survival. The problem is that it is the hardest one to define. the hardest to quantify. the hardest to train. I'm not entirely sure it IS trainable...
Perhaps what you call “spirit” is what I referred to as “attitude”.  Attitude can be dramatically altered by knowledge and preparation.

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:51 AM »
Maintain a high level of situational awareness.

Without it, even a well armed man is a easy target.

Just my opinion

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
In your opinion.  If preparation and information were not the highest priority, what are we all doing here on this forum?
There is no "most important qualities", or there are many "most important qualities".   8)

Of course it's my opinion, I wrote it. And I stand by it. There is no First Rule of Survival, I think there are many "equally first rules".

As for "preparation and information being the highest priority, or what am I doing on this forum"....    If you think these are the highest priority, you should go buy a bunch of books and storage food (and other stuff), and be done. Please understand, this forum is not just about preparedness or survival, it is about self sufficiency and sustainability as well. Even in my short time on this forum I've seen many hard-ass survival junkies come in, lay down their thing on how bad they are, then leave; because we are not just a survivalist forum.  I'd suggest reading quite a bit more posts here, getting the lay of the land, and really learning what we're about.

As for "There is no "most important qualities", or there are many "most important qualities"., I meant just what I said. I don't think the act of survival or preparedness can be effectively prioritized with a clear #1 priority. Is it to have enough ammo to guard your food? Is it to have enough food in the first place? The practice of survivalism and preparedness cannot have a top priority because it is too encompassing. However, the mindset that brings you there can.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
Perhaps what you call “spirit” is what I referred to as “attitude”.  Attitude can be dramatically altered by knowledge and preparation.

I think we're tracking...

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »
+1 a plan.

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
I didn't even know there was a rule book.

Mental Avenger

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
Of course it's my opinion, I wrote it. And I stand by it. There is no First Rule of Survival, I think there are many "equally first rules".
You somehow manage to make your opinion sound a lot like an immutable law.  (IMO)   ???

As for "preparation and information being the highest priority, or what am I doing on this forum"....    If you think these are the highest priority, you should go buy a bunch of books and storage food (and other stuff), and be done. Please understand, this forum is not just about preparedness or survival, it is about self sufficiency and sustainability as well. Even in my short time on this forum I've seen many hard-ass survival junkies come in, lay down their thing on how bad they are, then leave; because we are not just a survivalist forum.  I'd suggest reading quite a bit more posts here, getting the lay of the land, and really learning what we're about.
Your condescending attitude aside………….  ;)

“First” usually insinuates………well……….first.  (as opposed to, say, highest priority for a given situation) Those who don’t first prepare are probably not going to survive for long.  And of course, since none of us are currently in disaster survival mode (since there is no catastrophic disaster) we are doing what comes before (first) the event of survival (second).

As for "There is no "most important qualities", or there are many "most important qualities"., I meant just what I said. I don't think the act of survival or preparedness can be effectively prioritized with a clear #1 priority. Is it to have enough ammo to guard your food? Is it to have enough food in the first place? The practice of survivalism and preparedness cannot have a top priority because it is too encompassing. However, the mindset that brings you there can.
Everything you mentioned, and other facets as well, all have one thing in common.  They are require information and they all require preparation.  Since we cannot know the exact nature or magnitude of the next disaster, event specific preparations are not practical.  Therefore, we prepare in a more general manner, to cover all probabilities.

Also, “mindset” or “attitude” are going to be greatly influenced by the amount and relevance of information we obtain, and by the level of our preparedness.  Preparedness includes physical, mental, stores, and equipment preparedness.  A MacGyver attitude will be of no use without MacGyver information.   A Rambo attitude will be of little use without a Rambo physique.  An ant attitude will be of little use without ant stockpiles.  And the best intentions on Earth are useless without relevant knowledge (information) and proper (knowledgeable) preparations.

The gathering of information and preparation come before, and are the foundation for, everything else that follows.

IMHO   ;D

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
The first rule for surviving any situation is "Don't Panic!".  IOW, keep your head.

I Agree. The First Rule is "Don't Panic".

When we use the word "Survival" in this context what we are really saying is what's the first rule when something extraordinary (outside the normal bounds)  occurs in your life. The our first reaction to this extraordinary event is hardwired into our systems. The whole purpose of our training and preps is to allow us a greater and more effective range of response to such events. None of our training or preps matter if we fail to properly engage our primary asset, our mind. Panic shuts down the mind and allows the more primitive brain to control our actions. This leads to error and mistakes that we may later be unable to recover from. The first rule of survival is not "to survive". The goal is "to survive". The first rule to achieve that goal is "Don't Panic". It applies to all aspects of our goal. When we first see the need to prep and truly encompass what it means and what we need to accomplish it many of us unknowingly panic. Then we either shutdown (for fear of the size of the task) or rush head long into it (making mistakes all along the way ;D). The first rule is Don't Panic.
The second rule is "take stock of your current situation" see what is around you. Determine what are your circumstances and what resources are available to you. The third rule is "Plan". Now you know what's available to you. Plan how you may use these thing to further you primary goal ("To Survive"). The fourth rule is "Act". The best plan in the world is worthless without implementation. We must act to achieve our goal of Survival. It all begins with "Don't Panic".

Regards All,
Shadowalker

Mental Avenger

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:40 PM »
When we use the word "Survival" in this context what we are really saying is what's the first rule when something extraordinary (outside the normal bounds)  occurs in your life.
That is certainly one interpretation.  Remember our motto:  Helping you to live a better life – If times get tough – Or even if they don’t.

The our first reaction to this extraordinary event is hardwired into our systems. The whole purpose of our training and preps is to allow us a greater and more effective range of response to such events. None of our training or preps matter if we fail to properly engage our primary asset, our mind. Panic shuts down the mind and allows the more primitive brain to control our actions. This leads to error and mistakes that we may later be unable to recover from.
That is the purpose of training.  Training and knowledge instill confidence.  It is that confidence which prevents panic or inaction.  Most people cannot simply “not panic” by deciding to not panic.  But, training until the knowledge and skills become second nature will prevent the onset of panic in the first place.  That was one thing that was stressed in our EMT training.  Since we would be dealing with critical situations which might mean life or death, we had to learn all the knowledge and practice all the skills so that we would react calmly, coolly, and confidently.  It is the training and knowledge which prepare us for, and allow us, to “not panic”.

The second rule is "take stock of your current situation" see what is around you. Determine what are your circumstances and what resources are available to you.
Ok, that is a good rule.  It is also one which we use when preparing.

The third rule is "Plan". Now you know what's available to you. Plan how you may use these thing to further you primary goal ("To Survive").
I strongly disagree.  The time to plan is long before you find yourself in a survival situation.  As practical as possible, every probable situation should be preplanned.  The worst time to try to decide what to do is in the middle of an emergency.  If you don’t already know what to do, you will probably make mistakes.

Here is an illustration.  This really happened.  One day I stopped my motorcycle at a stop sign on an exit ramp in Houston.  In my mirrors, I saw a car coming up behind me way too fast.  Not having ever thought of that possibility, I sat there as the car screeched to a halt only inches from the back of the motorcycle.  I decided that the next time something like that happened I would head for the ditch.  About 4 years later, I was in my Chrysler Sebring on a two lane road, stopped behind rush hour traffic.  I saw a dump truck coming up behind me way too fast.  I immediately turned the wheel, hit the accelerator, and drove off into the ditch.  With tires sliding all the way, the dump truck finally stopped right where my car had been.  I was able to act so quickly only because I had preplanned the action.  The middle of an emergency is not the time to try to figure out what to do.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
What is a Survivor without his preps?

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2010, 08:19:23 AM »
What is a Survivor without his preps?

Is this a riddle? ???

Is the answer alive and empty handed? ;D

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 08:21:20 AM »
No riddle grasshopper, serious question.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
Another interesting questions Zen, I say return to Base 0, Preparation isn't necessarily "Stuff".  Preparation starts mentally with learning, training and mental awareness of your surroundings and an attitude that is prepared for whatever comes.  You can survive without "Stuff" but you can quickly die (or fail to survive  ;)) surrounded by stuff if your not properly prepareed mentally.

I always go back to Base 0, if you start there, everything is a plus.  Stuff is a Plus, food is a Plus, the items your surrounded by (whether they are planned or just happenstance) are a plus.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
The question is asked "What is the first rule of Swordfighting?"
And "What is a Swordfighter, without his sword?"

I mentioned Musashi killing an oponent in a duel, using a 'sword' that he carved out of an oar on his way to the duel.

The point of this discusion is this; People tend to get wrapped up in Things. We look to hardware solutions to software problems. Stuff is the least important part of the equation, but what we focus on most.

Because it is the easiest. It takes the least effort, the least spirit.

Training is more important than the 'Sword'. The sword is of little use if you don't know how to wield it. When was the last time anyone here practiced dealing with S hitting the fan? One forum member recently posted about turning off the power for a week. A good start. How many of us have done similar?

And Training/Practice isn't as important as Heart/Spirit/Attitude. Some mentioned having a limb trapped. How many would have the H/S/A to amputate your own limb, with a jack knife, without anastesia? You have the equipment, the knife, and lets say you have the knowledge, your a surgeon. Those two things don't matter if you don't have what it takes to make the cut.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »
It is also said that when masters the sword, he can give it up. He no longer needs it. (see Musashi's last duel)

There are a handful of people in my knowledge that could be stripped naked and sent into the wilderness, and they would survive. They have become masters and can give up the 'sword'.

Mental Avenger

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »
Zen,
Excellent posts.  +1   ;D

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »

There are a handful of people in my knowledge that could be stripped naked and sent into the wilderness, and they would survive. They have become masters and can give up the 'sword'.

And that my friends is what I call Base 0. 

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 05:15:05 PM »

Barefoot an naked is what I call it.Banished from The Garden 0f Eden? The tree of knowledge is all you got.Damn, Eve pulled the wrong fruit,the tree of life is what she should have been eating! ;D

kiteflyer

And that my friends is what I call Base 0. 

Offline pugbellies

• Prepper
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
Obstinance.

stubborness, mule-headed, single-minded determination... my favorite... chutzpah.   

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »
It is also said that when masters the sword, he can give it up. He no longer needs it. (see Musashi's last duel)

But stripped naked and thrown into an urban environment brings a whole different set of problems.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »
I kind of think that "survival situations" usually occur because someone doesn't have the gear they need, the training they need, or the plan, or a combination of all three, plus they may have had a generous dollop of bad luck and/or plain stupidity added to the mix.

(And not necessarily their own.)

A blinding snowstorm is of no particular danger to the outdoorsman that has the right gear, knows how to use it, and has the right plan for that specific contingency.

It is only when one or more of those things is lacking that a situation becomes a matter of life or death.

So what will save you if you don't have the gear, don't have the training, and don't have a clue about what to do next?

Pure guts may get you through--unless you find yourself in a situation that is simply not survivable, in which case you'll die.

But if you are obstinate to the BONE--refuse to quit, refuse to lie down and die like a dog, Never Give Up! (And "Never Surrender!")...

...you may just survive.

You may walk that last hundred yards, flash the whole horizon that one last time, strike that one last spark, or set that one last deadfall--or whatever--and hit the jackpot.

If you quit before you die, you may die a hundred yards short of living. Or five. Or one.

In the end, I think what matters is that you never give up. No matter how hopeless things seem, no matter how much you hurt, no matter what.

You try until you die, or you try until you live.

Never Give Up!

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:38 PM »

You try until you die, or you try until you live.

Never Give Up!

sounds like spirit to me.