Author Topic: What is the First Rule of Survival?  (Read 32281 times)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
Re: What is the First Rule of Survival?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:59 PM »
But stripped naked and thrown into an urban environment brings a whole different set of problems.

That all depends on how purdy y' are.

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
In a SHTF scenario here's how I view the first rule of survival...

oddly enough I think the same goes for the DoD...

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
The first rule of survial is to be a survivor.
This is a synthisis of 3 things; body, mind, spirit/heart (listed with the first thing being the least important, the last, being most important, prolly along the lines of 1,10,100 if I were to place a value on them)

Preps and tools (body) don't do you any good if you don't know what to do with them.
Skill/training is of no avail if you haven't the heart to employ what you know.
Heart is what will pull you through.

Are you familiar with Roy Benavidez?

You never know how you will react until you are in a situation. We can try to develop our bodies, minds, and spirits but that won't quarantee a particular response.

Most of us aren't likely to end up in his situation. I have been in situations when everybody throught I would die from my injuries and stayed calm and focused. I'm the one that had to direct my coworkers until a competent individual arrive on the seen. I still wouldn't assume I could repeat that response. We don't know until it happens.

Developing knowledge and skills for survival increases our odds of survival regardless.

I don't mean to take away from his heroism. I simply believe that without the knowledge and skill for survival, which he had, our odds of survival go down.

Pat

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
The basic rules are; breath, shelter, eat, and drink.

But I think the most important rule of survival is determination.  Without the will to survive you have nothing.

I'm with Darkwinter on this one. Determination that you will survive, and that you will try no matter what happens. You can have all the gear, or none...all the knowledge or none...but the fact still remains, if you just GIVE UP, then you will not survive. You have to have the will to do so.

Back when I was a teenager, I joined the Boy Scouts, and learned a lot of great things about survival, but when I was about 17 or 18, I came across a book.......The Book of Survival, by Anthony Greenbank (a paperback copy, and then I later found a hardback copy of the same book), in it he has an opening quote, that I have found to be the words that best say it............." All the following advice presupposes that whoever faces catastrophe takes a deep breath and makes up his mind to have a really determined go at beating the odds ".    ;D

The original is no longer in print, but there is a new and revised addition, and there are some updated additions for our our 21st Century way of life in this one that are good, sound bits of information.  http://www.amazon.com/Book-Survival-Original-Staying-Revised/dp/1578260914#noop

Offline btigtime

• Prepper
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 05:25:47 AM »
Adapt and overcome. Make plans but don't take them too seriously.  Knowledge, wisdom and principles be your guide.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2010, 07:23:06 PM »
First, prevent things from getting worse.
Example:  Car accident.  Step one, even before first aid or summoning help, is to prevent the accident from getting worse.
This also gives you a moment to think, while you are putting out your reflective triangles or whatever you do. 

Offline gonnathrive

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:43 PM »
The will to survive.

Your preps affect what you CAN do, not what you WILL do.

In one hand, you have a pocket knife. In your other hand,  well, your other hand is actually being smashed by a boulder. You CAN cut your own arms off but WILL you?

Sledgehammer

I think the answer is "it depends" if I need to do it to save my life because more boulders are coming then probably, but if help is already on the way, probably not

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ONCE. AFTER THE SHTF BAD DECISIONS MADE NOW MAY NOT BE REALIZED LATER UNTILL IT'S TOO LATE

Offline LadyRebekah67

• Prepper
  • If it harms none, do as you will.
    • http://ladyrebekah67.wordpress.com
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
Evaluation and recognition of whether it really IS a SHTF scenario, or not, early enough to exercise the skill, knowledge and preps we've acquired.  Reasonably judging whether to bug in or out in time to avoid a worsening, perhaps lethal, situation.

Offline OLD DUDE

• Prepper
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2010, 07:30:26 AM »
ADAPT

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
"Don't Die."

This guy nailed it/

Sometimes the simplest answers are the most profound.  For example, "Don't Die."

Alright.  Well seeing as the point to survive is not to die, that covers it all.

Don't Die.

What if there is a food shortage? Make sure you have enough and can produce enough so that you don't die.

What if a guy is waving a gun in your face and demanding your wallet?  Don't die.  Do whatever you have to do to ensure that, just don't die.

What if you get stranded in a blinding blizzard while out on a mountain hike?  Don't die.  Keep warm, keep hydrated, keep as well fed as you can.  And don't die.  That symbolizes a certain determination to not let force of nature and circumstance dictate the outcome, but rather your force of will.  Take the blizzard example.  Yeah, I'm cold, I'm sleepy, I'm hungry, and if I lay down and go to sleep right now it'll all go away and I'll never have to be cold or hungry or tired ever again.  But I'm not going to do that.  You gotta be willing to take whatever life can throw at you so that you don't die.

Riots in the streets?  Don't die.  Shoot them if they are a threat to you, but don't die.

Lost your job and don't know how you'll make ends meet?  Don't die.  Scale back if you need to, take odd jobs, pay cuts, whatever.  But don't let it beat you.  People have killed themselves over this kinda stuff.  Don't let that be you.

Diagnosed with cancer?  Don't die.  Fight as hard as you can, and harder then you think you can.  Fight until if you die, it's because you killed yourself going after the cancer.  Fight as long as there is life in you.

Live until you die.  And fight to live as long as you live.  Don't die.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:47 AM »
Well said PW, well said.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
Perhaps the First Rule of Survival is the same as the Last: Reproduce.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »
IMHO, based on experience (damnit), the First Rule of Survival is to realize that IT is happening to you NOW! In my case, it took a good beating before I fully realized that the 6'3" crackhead was really trying to kill me. Unfortunately, I made some mistakes. Fortunately, so did he, and his mistakes were worse than my mistakes.

Rule #2 is You WILL Survive. Ingrain this into your psyche and don't not never ever give up. (Archaic stacking of negatives for emphasis) The human body and mind are wonderful creations and will take more than you would ever imagine they are capable of.

Does anyone who has "seen the elephant" care to comment?