Author Topic: Intro and first veggie garden  (Read 2073 times)

Offline cajunkraut

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Twitter
Intro and first veggie garden
« on: December 12, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »
Hi all, I'm a relatively new listener to the podcast and have been reading the board for a few days. With Christmas vacation coming up, I'm planning to use some of my time away from work to dig my first vegetable bed. I have a copy of The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, so I'm going to try the methods in there. Does anyone have any recommendations on some complemintary crops for a beginner to start of with, that are relatively low maintenance? I'm trying to finish a post-graduate degree and pay off my last bit of debt (other than primary mortgage) by May, so the less time I have to budget, the better.

Also, where would you recommend I get seeds? Should I ask around the local freecycle groups or just buy from a seed house like Seedsavers?

BTW, I'm near Jackson, MS which got 2-3 inches of snow yesterday. I wonder if we're in for a cool Spring.

Thanks!

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Intro and first veggie garden
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
Hi all, I'm a relatively new listener to the podcast and have been reading the board for a few days. I'm planning to use some of my time away from work to dig my first vegetable bed.

Also, where would you recommend I get seeds? Should I ask around the local freecycle groups or just buy from a seed house like Seedsavers?

BTW, I'm near Jackson, MS which got 2-3 inches of snow yesterday. I wonder if we're in for a cool Spring.

Thanks!

Hi cajunkraut, and WELCOME to the group.  Y'all got 2-3 inches in Jackson, wow.  We missed all of the snow over here in Birmingham, AL., but we usually do, something about Birmingham being in a bowl.  You got the right ideas, Debt=BAD, Grow yer own=GOOD.  There are several good seed resources mentioned in the "Gardening and Agriculture" section of the forum and I think there some seed links in the link section as well.  ENJOY!

Tim.