Author Topic: Scavanging and the Importance of Tools  (Read 3535 times)

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
Scavanging and the Importance of Tools
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »
It seems to me, that if TSHTF, most of us will be buggin in. Home is where the preps are.
It also occurs to me that scavaging will be important. I think someone with some basic tools and knowledge could make their lives easier by doing some scavaging.

Like taking the alternator and battery, lights, radio, fan, and have wind or water turn the alternator.

Or, if a tornado or huricane hits, be able to make a sturdy shelter out of the debris.

There is a fellow that lives in the bush not too far from some public dumpsters. He has a very nice set up that didn't cost him a dime.

Another example; I had a plumbing leak one sunday evening. Instead of having to shut the water off til the next day, I went to the shop where I had everything needed to make the needed repair.

So, how many of you are including tools and knowledge to use them in your preps?

Mental Avenger

Re: Scavanging and the Importance of Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
Now you’re talkin’ my language.  I have almost every kind of tool ever made, and several I made myself because what I wanted did not seem to exist.  I would only bug out as a last resort, but if I can take my BOV, it will carry a lot of tools.  It has a Kennedy Roll Around toolbox in side, and room for several other tool boxes.

I am also an expert at salvaging.  I do it all the time.  For instance, I have a wind generator on a tower on top of my garage.  The generator is the carriage drive motor from an old Diablo printer, and the turbine is a 14 inch diameter squirrel cage from an old blower.

The “pickers” from the tv show would have a field day at my house.

DevilDoc

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »
Mental Avenger

Any photos? That would be cool ...

DevilDoc

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »
 ::)

JUST AN IDEA ....

If people have sites that link to supergenious ideas for prepping or making something out of parts of another thing or things and it does a specific function / job
and if you have or can make directions. Put it here in this thread so we can all develope maybe a library of these things for later recall.

Because I for one am no Eletrical or electronic scrap designer genious, but insparation from others will help inspire creativity from others.

Mental Avenger

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »
Photos of two of my wind turbines.  The first one is made entirely from printer parts.  The generator is the carriage drive motor, and the blades are the plastic access doors from the top of the printer.

This wind turbine is made from a Daisywheel printer carriage drive motor with a squirril cage from a blower.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
A good point to bring up ZGF.  Parts to fix most of your average plumbing, electrical and building problems are important for when they are not available.  I don't have everything I might need but I have a bunch.

My friends harass me and say I have tools to fix tools.  They all call me when they need some type of hand tool. Unfortunately, as they don't have the required skill to use most of the tools I end up going along with them and just doing the work as this saves me time.  I just do it right in the first place as opposed to them messing it up and me having to go tear it apart and fixing their discombobulation.   This also has the advantage of me taking care of my tools and then getting back to my shop after the job is done.

Unfortunately the skill set I call "redneck engineering" or the ability to look at a mechanical problem and know how to fix or resolve it in your head is not something that can be taught. You either have it or you don't...some might call it being mechanically inclined.

Mental Avenger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »
My father taught us that anything that is built by one man can be repaired by another.  He also taught us that virtually anything is repairable.  It may not be practical, and it might not be economical to do so, but it can be done.  The result is that I have made some “impossible” repairs.  That really pisses off those that said it could not be done.  It also gets you in deep trouble if those that said it could not be done are higher ranking than you in the Navy.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
I consider tools one of the top priorities after food, water, medical supplies, and defense.

Things don't last forever, so you need to be able to make repairs to your home or maybe vehicle.
In a storm even things in good condition can be damaged.

Also, if you can fix things you can probably barter for some things with your neighbors after
a storm.

Extra tools will also likely be a good barter item in a total breakdown.

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »
"Photos of two of my wind turbines." Day-um, you are a King Ant ! Should have my bellows done this weekend. Blacksmiths have told me once you get started smithing, making your own tools is a cinch.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
Yup. I made a drill bit once. Kind of a pita to sharpen, but it made a hole thru a 4*4 post!

Make some hooks and a chisel, then learn to forge weld and you can make anything!

marmoset

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »
Some resources I stop by regularly:

Well, there's always http://www.afrigadget.com/ to see real-life scavenging combined with ingenuity and craftsmanship.
While the descriptions are skimpy at best, great for sparking ideas though!  ;D

Slightly OT, but something developed for Africa: SoDis http://www.sodis.ch/methode/index_EN
If you live in sunny climes, but the water's biologically contaminated, you can always recycle those plastic soda bottles to UV-disinfect
the water.

Another great site is http://www.instructables.com/, from paracord huaraches (tire sandals) to viewfinder nightsight, from vertical planter to
DIY CNC lathe, a treasure trove! I get their daily e-mail of what's new, subscription being free.

Oopsy, forgot, here's the instructable for a windmill: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-built-an-electricity-producing-wind-turbine/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:26:02 AM by marmoset »