Author Topic: what medicinal herbs are you growing  (Read 18673 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: what medicinal herbs are you growing
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Just a quick MODERATOR NOTE about illegal herbs:

Most of us hate the idea that the government can prohibit you from growing medicine in your own yard.

Nevertheless, the US federal government (and many states) have made it illegal to grow Cannabis sativa and some other medicinal herbs.  TSP Forum (and Jack) are operating under US law.  And while it might be technically legal to provide how-to info, we can't expose Jack to the personal legal and financial risks.  So, please don't post any how-to tips for illegal herbs.

Umm...Several of you have mentioned poppy. Other than opium poppy (are these even legal to grow in the US?) what medicinal purpose would it have?

I checked on this, and the laws are very confusing, but it seems that it is illegal to have Papaver somniferum (opium poppy) plant material (alive or dried, including seedpods), unless you are lucky enough to have a federal license to grow it for medical opium production or culinary poppy seeds.  However it's not illegal to have poppy seeds, which is why it's so easy to buy them.  You just can't germinate them after you buy them.

There are other species of poppy that are legal to grow, and some of them have medicinal uses.  For example, California poppy can be used as a mild sedative.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
I don't think anybody was talking about that type of growing... Anybody doing that for legitimate medicinal reasons is either legal at the state level, or discrete enough not to be attracting attention.

Since the OP didn't mention what TYPE of crops, why automatically assume they are illegal?  There are documented cases where police have raided homes in the middle of the night and manhandled innocent persons who were growing nothing more than tomatoes in their backyard, simply because the cops THOUGHT it looked like MJ from the air during one of their flybys.  And it usually ends with little more than a canned apology from the department.  >:(

inbox485

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
Since the OP didn't mention what TYPE of crops, why automatically assume they are illegal?  There are documented cases where police have raided homes in the middle of the night and manhandled innocent persons who were growing nothing more than tomatoes in their backyard, simply because the cops THOUGHT it looked like MJ from the air during one of their flybys.  And it usually ends with little more than a canned apology from the department.  >:(

:stop: Totally off topic... I think we are all pretty much in sync on that topic, but lets not spiral a fine thread into an MJ discussion...

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
Anybody know how you would treat conjunctivitis (pink eye) if the Rx eye drops/ointment weren't available?

Parsley tea

ps I am growing raspberry plants for the leaves and fruit, cilantro, and plantain

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
Anybody know how you would treat conjunctivitis (pink eye) if the Rx eye drops/ointment weren't available?

I've used Colloidal Silver with excellent results - works better than Rx stuff.  But barring that, it would be eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis). 

inbox485

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »
I've used Colloidal Silver with excellent results - works better than Rx stuff.  But barring that, it would be eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis). 

Just an FYI, but silver is contraindicated in the eye due to bluing. Your tears react with silver, and it lingers too long. Not saying it can't be done or that I wouldn't if it was that or nothing, but I'd consider using it, then flushing after 5 minutes and doing that a few times a day rather than leaving the silver in place.

Other than that, western botanical's eyebright formula contains several additional ingredients, and I can personally say it is some awesome stuff. I normally don't ever buy herbals (I either grow it or I don't have it), but I keep that formula stocked because it just works too well not to.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
Just an FYI, but silver is contraindicated in the eye due to bluing. Your tears react with silver, and it lingers too long.

Silver is used every single day in the eyes of newborns in hospitals all around the country.  Yes, depending on the size of the particles - especially with colloidal silver solutions made via "rustic" methods - it could turn the body blue, provided the silver solution was taken internally on a daily basis AND over an extended period of time.  But a just couple of days of use will not cause bluing. However if you are worried about "blue eyes" from a homemade silver solution, simply wait a few minutes, then rinse the eyes with water or saline solution. It only takes a couple of days of CS treatment and the pink eye is gone. 

But it really boils down to this...if things really get so bad that you have no access to professional medical care, would you rather take the very slight chance of having the palest (but totally harmless) blue tint to your eyes, or would you rather take the very real risk of going blind from the disease?   

inbox485

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »
Silver is used every single day in the eyes of newborns in hospitals all around the country.  Yes, depending on the size of the particles - especially with colloidal silver solutions made via "rustic" methods - it could turn the body blue, provided the silver solution was taken internally on a daily basis AND over an extended period of time.  But a just couple of days of use will not cause bluing. However if you are worried about "blue eyes" from a homemade silver solution, simply wait a few minutes, then rinse the eyes with water or saline solution. It only takes a couple of days of CS treatment and the pink eye is gone. 

But it really boils down to this...if things really get so bad that you have no access to professional medical care, would you rather take the very slight chance of having the palest (but totally harmless) blue tint to your eyes, or would you rather take the very real risk of going blind from the disease?   

That was kinda my point. I was just pointing out that officially it is contraindicated for use in the eye, and why. Not that I would never use it.

Offline TXschmoe

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »
This list includes stuff that was just newly planted from seed:

Echinacea
Horehound
Hyssop
Rosemary
Chamomile
Feverfew
Caledula
Garlic

It's a good start.....

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
Growing catnip for the very first time. If my two cats will let me have some that is.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
Just an FYI about the motherwort. If you let it go to seed it will volunteer like crazy! Ask me how I know...  ::)
so does chamomile

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
starting small but hopefully adding more when it warms up.

Rosemary
Garlic
Chamomile

Offline bloodyrich

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Umm...Several of you have mentioned poppy. Other than opium poppy (are these even legal to grow in the US?) what medicinal purpose would it have?

From what i understand, yes & no. [aren't laws wonderful?]  You can grow them as 'flowers' but don't make anything 'unlawful' from them... In fact, according to a book i have, [opium for the masses] collecting seeds is considered illegal in some areas- but it is ok to buy poppy seeds [uh, so basically you can grow the flowers, but have to buy poppy seeds for food that were grown & collected elsewhere..?]  People have been prosecuted. but you ain't an outlaw, you ain't free...
bloodyrich
member msb & all-around nice guy... usually..

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »
I've got a pasture full of bull thistle, anyone want to trade?? That stuff is impossible to get rid of.
Also have spiderwort, rosemary, mints, eucalyptus.