Author Topic: Silver !!  (Read 5372 times)

DevilDoc

Silver !!
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »

Ok I picked up a 1oz bar of silver today from Ebay.
Tried the local pawn shops today as well they say that stuff comes in and goes out immediately NO Pawn shops are selling bars where I am anyway anymore.

So what is a good reliable source to get silver ordered from, I cant do gold obviously and I want to do an average of $50 to $75 dollars a month on it.
I am not interested in the silver dollars or anything for collectors value other than the value of the silver itself. Nothing fancy just bars and barter bar segments.

Thank you ....

Brian

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
Re: Silver !!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:57:28 PM »
Brian.

Do a search for silver. There has been a number of threads about buying silver and reviews of dealers.

TW

Offline camo007

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
Go to APMEX.com  These folks are the best.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
If the bars and rounds are the same price as Eagles, I would get the Eagles.  They're worth an ounce of silver, and most of the time they are worth a little more.

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »
Silverandgoldshop.com has good prices and has a quite a few things to choose from...bars and rounds.

I know how you feel about pawn shops though.  They want like 6 bucks for pre 64 quarters and 22 for Morgan SD's...that seems pretty stinkin high to me.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »
I have been impressed with APEMX.com.  Good prices and no sales tax unless you live in Oklahoma.  The shipping was not a big hassle.  It was sent certified mail and I picked it up at the post office.  I will buy from them in the future.

Offline pugbellies

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »
I've used monex for multiple orders.

Been happy with them.

Cons: The order must be at least single 100oz bar or 100 eagles (or maple leafs, philharmonics, etc.)

Pros: I've received a 10oz silber bar for each person I referred to them.  They in turn received the same when they referred a new client.  So far I've received 3 10oz silver bars (for free).  I've also been impressed with the professionalism and courtesy.

I don't want this to be an advertisement.  Go shop around.  I'll admit, I only did a very limited amount of shopping myself.

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:18:56 PM »
Nice link for APMEX.com...really good prices.  Thanks for that.

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:28:32 AM »
I recommend APMEX, too.  They have good prices, excellent communication throughout the order and shipping process, and secure, discrete packaging.  I've ordered from them several times and been very happy every time.

DevilDoc

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:46:27 AM »
Thanks for the info GUYS !!

http://www.apmex.com/

Is awesome I placed a 500 dollar order today and the best part is they do a minimum of 50 dollars an order.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »
It was sent certified mail and I picked it up at the post office.

I wonder how safe is Certified Mail.

I've heard horror stories on other forums about the Post Office refusing to honor insurance claims, and packages simply disappearing from their system.  The postal employees lie and say the item was delivered, or they simply refuse the insurance claim with some obscure loop-hole.

Perhaps a private business like FedEx or UPS would be safer?

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »
www.delvalleysilver.com

Selection is low and so is shipping with prices just about right. I've had good experiences with them, and their customer service is well above par

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »
i felt apmex's prices were high....

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
I think that there are some good values in silver on Ebay.  Silver seems to float around $1.50 + spot with to shipping or taxes.  It seems that shipping is high on most places unless you are buying a lot.  The two places around here want $2 or $3 + spot + 5.5% sales tax.  The first silver I bought was .50 + spot with no tax.  I guess I should have bought more...

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »
Outdoorman63...do you have a link to better prices?  What range are you used to paying in?

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »
i search ebay for stuff selling below spot with shipping, i bid on it if i get it i do if i dont then so be it...i got several 5 coin us state quarter silver proofs at 12 each shipped and they have 16 worth of silver..i wont personally pay more than spot for stuff, if you look around it is there...now dont get me wrong someday i may have to but as of right now no...

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:52 PM »
i search ebay for stuff selling below spot with shipping, i bid on it if i get it i do if i dont then so be it...i got several 5 coin us state quarter silver proofs at 12 each shipped and they have 16 worth of silver..i wont personally pay more than spot for stuff, if you look around it is there...now dont get me wrong someday i may have to but as of right now no...

Cool.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »
I wonder how safe is Certified Mail.

I've heard horror stories on other forums about the Post Office refusing to honor insurance claims, and packages simply disappearing from their system.  The postal employees lie and say the item was delivered, or they simply refuse the insurance claim with some obscure loop-hole.

Perhaps a private business like FedEx or UPS would be safer?

If I remember right, APMEX uses certified mail to prove who received the delivery. The actual package is insured by Lloyds.

Again, this is from memory only.

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »

He's got that right, it's a bit of work but not too bad.  If you are persistent you will get some below spot after shipping, don't freak over watching the listings just put your max that you are willing to pay in on your first bid and check it after the listing ends.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
A quick post on Craigs list netted me 34.50 in junk silver coins for $360 melt value at 17.76 is $425.  Just an idea I just posted that I was buying old quarters, dimes, half dollars, and silver dollars for 10 x face.

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
A quick post on Craigs list netted me 34.50 in junk silver coins for $360 melt value at 17.76 is $425.  Just an idea I just posted that I was buying old quarters, dimes, half dollars, and silver dollars for 10 x face.

Nice. Just got my first piece of 1 oz. silver round for right at spot with shipping on ebay :)

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
Just an update on the junk silver.  I got just over 25 Oz of silver for $340 awsome deal for me and him.  I found out that his wife works at a small bank and they hand roll coins.  So, he got the dimes and quarters for $34 dollars.  I guess the bank let his wife and an other woman split the silver that coin that they find.  So if any of you or the ones you love work at a bank, there is another source.  I work retail part time and I have only been able to pull out a quarter, a 90% half dollar and a 40% half dollar.