Author Topic: Wireless Alarms  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Commissioner

• Prepper
Wireless Alarms
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:26:56 AM »
Can anyone give a recommendation for a wireless alarm for a residence?  This is for an existing home which is the reason for it being wireless.  Besides the obvious alarm feature, I am interested in being alerted when the front, back or garage door are opened.  Additionally, can a speaker for this feature be away from the main keypad?  For example: if the key pad is near the garage door entry, I'd like the speaker to be in a basement and/or master bedroom.  Your feedback is appreciated.

Offline Old Scout

• Prepper
  • "Be Prepared"... It was as true then as it is now!
Re: Wireless Alarms
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
I have had good results with Radio Shack alarm components in two houses over the past 10 years.  They are reasonably priced and have contact break, Passive IR and other sensors as well as remote keypads to turn things on and off.  I like to have one keypad just inside to be able to turn the system on or off when I leave or come home and another keypad in the bedroom so that I can see that the Loop is closed (doors are all shut and system is ready to arm) and then I can turn it on when I go to bed.   

They also have an At Home mode which has a beeper or buzzer to let you know that a door or window was opened but does not set off the main siren alarm.  This, along with my wireless driveway alarm, alerts me to family or others coming up to and entering the house even if I am in a part of the house that does not have windows facing the street.  My wife and I both love having a little "I wonder who that could be" time to check things out before the door bell rings... or worse.

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
I bought a GE Simon 3 Wireless Security System 3 years ago or so. Not cheap but it works well and I really like it. Got it from a company called SafeMart. They are on line.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
I have had good results with Radio Shack alarm components in two houses over the past 10 years.  They are reasonably priced and have contact break, Passive IR and other sensors as well as remote keypads to turn things on and off.  I like to have one keypad just inside to be able to turn the system on or off when I leave or come home and another keypad in the bedroom so that I can see that the Loop is closed (doors are all shut and system is ready to arm) and then I can turn it on when I go to bed.   

They also have an At Home mode which has a beeper or buzzer to let you know that a door or window was opened but does not set off the main siren alarm.  This, along with my wireless driveway alarm, alerts me to family or others coming up to and entering the house even if I am in a part of the house that does not have windows facing the street.  My wife and I both love having a little "I wonder who that could be" time to check things out before the door bell rings... or worse.
+1 very good stuff

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
The Radio Shack stuff is X10. I like my system. Does what I ask of it.

Offline Commissioner

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »
Thanks to each of you!  I appreciate the starting points as I am beginning my research. 

Offline Archangel Mike

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »
I had a break in last year and have been looking at this system..

http://www.smarthome.com/73903W/Smarthome-SecureLinc-Wireless-Home-Security-System/p.aspx

I was looking at this for it's expandability and X10/Insteon compatibility.  Looks like a good price on it now.

Mike

HumeMan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
For anyone insterested in a self-contained unit.  This would be really good for renters.

http://www.amazon.com/51207-Smart-Wireless-Motion-Sensor/dp/B00032ATTW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291768171&sr=8-3-spell

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
I had a break in last year and have been looking at this system..

http://www.smarthome.com/73903W/Smarthome-SecureLinc-Wireless-Home-Security-System/p.aspx

I was looking at this for it's expandability and X10/Insteon compatibility.  Looks like a good price on it now.

Mike

Currently evaluating.  SO far so good.  My concern was with the motion sensors and having a few large dogs.  So far they haven't set it off.

Offline KSDeputy

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
Year before last we replaced our 25 year old alarm system. It was hard wired, but working with the local alarm company I was able to add an extra pir and glass break detectors at all windows. These were wireless components, added to a wired system. I also added a medical alert button I can carry with me around the house and yard. We also added a cellular backup, in case a crook cuts our phone line. Wireless systems have come into their own. Most alarm companies offer a wireless system, or wireless additions to an existing system. Make certain that the monitoring station has UL approval. The company I use has their own local monitoring station, UL approved. Check with your local alarm systems, ask your friends what company they use and if they are happy with the service.