Author Topic: What to plant now?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline aakelley

• Prepper
What to plant now?
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:40:26 AM »
I am in zone 6 and just pulled out my bed of early peas and my bed of lettuce (both did great by the way).  So now I have two empty beds staring at me every day.  Since Summer just started a few days ago and it has been in the upper 80s / low 90s for almost a week with no end in sight, I am a little unsure of what I could plant in them now?  Anything, or should I just hold off until we get towards the ends of summer?  Can I get away with another planting of lettuce (hard to go back to bag salads after you've had fresh from the garden).

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: What to plant now?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:58:10 AM »
In the 80s and 90s, you will have a hard time getting standard salad mix to germinate.  You can go to some of the heat tolerant greens.  I just planted a Summer mesculin mix that consists of Tatsoi mustard greens, Magenta Magic orach, Parris Island Cos lettuce, Buttercrunch lettuce, Anuenue lettuce, and Jericho lettuce.  The Tatsoi mustard greens is all that's come up so far, but it has only been in the ground for 3 days.

As for what else to plant, just about any of the Summer veggies.  I like to use the Weekend Gardener Guarden Guide.