Author Topic: where to get info on testing for ham license?  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
where to get info on testing for ham license?
« on: December 30, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »
Newb here... Live in Los Angeles.. and would like to inquire about where to get a license....

Also, would that be the same license for the cb/walkie talkie high range channels?

newb out.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: where to get info on testing for ham license?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:54:30 AM »
Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group

Whole Bunch of Cali Radio Club Info

Contact a club or group from one of the two links above to get your general questions answered.  Talk to a VEC (Volunteer Exam Coordinator) if you can.  A VEC will be able to tell you about their local test dates.

Check out QRZ.com Practice Exams.  You can take the tests for free to practice.  The real test questions are used in the practice exams, so if you take these tests until you're consistently hitting 80% or better you'll pass the real test with no problem.  You can take the exams in any order you like, click on the "wait for correct" button so that you can answer each question until you get it right.  It's possible to take these tests until you're getting them all right & then take the real exam & get licensed.  Lots of folks have done it this way.

If you want some printable license notes check out Mr. Pugsly  Click the "Amateur Radio Technicians License Notes" & print away.  It's not really necessary to buy study material with all the information & resources available on the nets.

Good luck!

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Just adding one more.  Good study guide here...

http://hamelmer.com/

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:32:17 AM »
Thanks....   ;)

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
DeltaEchoVictor

Good stuff. I havent had anyone ever put everything I need to get a license right in my lap before. You are the first. Thank you. I believe I gonna get licensed up.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »
DeltaEchoVictor

Good stuff. I havent had anyone ever put everything I need to get a license right in my lap before. You are the first. Thank you. I believe I gonna get licensed up.
Welcome & cool!  It's pretty easy & I mean easy to the point of ridiculousness almost.  The toughest part is finding a club that's handy.  Just about all clubs have VEC's that will test you if given a little bit of notice before you show up.

Good lluck!  If you need anything else just give a holler.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »
It's pretty easy & I mean easy to the point of ridiculousness almost.

With a little prodding from DEV and Bailey, I decided to get mine and the Technician class was a piece of cake.  Just use the study guide from hamelmer.com and the study tests that DEV posted and you will be good to go! 

I would add that you should study up for the General test to be taken at the same time.  That is, if you sit for and pass the Technician test, you can right away go on to take the General exam all in the same night.  Heck, if you wanted to, you could go all of the way to Extra class.  The nice thing about General is that it opens up the HF frequencies for you and that is the true long range stuff. 

Good luck to all of the studying, soon-to-be Hams out there!

Offline bonnie

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:47:47 AM »
It seems like each time they update the question pool they make the technician easier and the extra harder.  I'm glad I already have the extra class.

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »
I started studying for Technician this weekend.  Been reading the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual for general theory and usage conventions.  Occasionally I try to guess the answers to related questions in the test pool.  So far it doesn't look too awful.  I figure after learning the basics I can bluff my way through, as with any multiple choice test.

Not sure if I'm going to try to take the test later this week or if I should give myself a month.  Depends on how the studying goes I suppose.

When are they supposed to change the question pool again?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:04:23 PM by Uncle Charlie »

HumeMan

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
So how much does it cost to get into HAM?  Could I build an okay beginners desktop system for under say, $300?  I see online hand held units for about that much.  Just curious about the entry cost.  Thanks.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
So how much does it cost to get into HAM?  Could I build an okay beginners desktop system for under say, $300?  I see online hand held units for about that much.  Just curious about the entry cost.  Thanks.
$14 for the test.

$0 to download Echolink.

To use Echolink you must have a valid Callsign & you must be in the FCC database.  They will verify your license information.

As far as radios go, you can go as cheap or as expensive as you like.  There are some very reasonably priced HT's on the market right now that are packed with features.  If you want a mobile set up for your car...same deal applies.  Just depends on how much you want to spend really.

HumeMan

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
<deleted question>

Actually, instead of asking a hundred more small questions, I'm just going to spend some time on wikipedia.   :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:13:11 PM by HumeMan »

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »
Also check this website:
www.qrz.com

I've found it to be quite helpful.

Offline bonnie

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
When are they supposed to change the question pool again?

Below are the dates for the current question pools:

Technician Class Question Pool, effective July 1, 2006, valid until June 30, 2010

General Class Question Pool, effective July 1, 2007, valid until June 30, 2011

Extra Class Question Pool, effective July 1, 2008 valid until June 30, 2012

If they make major changes to the licensing classes like when they eliminated the novice, tech plus and advanced and when the eliminated the code, they usually adjust the dates that pools are valid because of significant rule changes.  I don't think there are any more major changes that expected to be upcoming.

Bonnie