Author Topic: city survival preps for a country boy  (Read 4064 times)

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
city survival preps for a country boy
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:23:49 PM »
I'm moving to an urban area. Charleston SC. I come from a VERY rural area in Southern Illinois so urban living is new to me. So please point out anything u know because I am very unexperienced with city living.

I have been thinking about changing my survival plans to suit the new environment and I have a couple questions.

1. Is a good or bad idea to keep a handgun in my cars BOB?  I don't want it falling into the wrong hands if my car is stolen/broken into.

2. When bugging out on foot, say I have 20 miles to get from work to home, do I take the highways home or should I take a longer route on backroads/intown roads?

3. Bugging out in car, same scenario, do I take highways or longer backroads?

4. Would it be better to have a large BOB to carry more things, or a smaller one with bare essentials to be more "low profile" and lightweight?

5. Approximately how much cash is approriate for a BOB? 

That's just a few questions that come to mind. I understand that you all don't know the area that I'm moving to, and there are a lot of specifics you need that I can't give you. Please answer the best you can, even vague or generalized answers will help me think of solutions that are appropriate.  I'm going to email Jack and maybe it will be good for his show.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: city survival preps for a country boy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »
Just my 2 cents worth....

I never keep a handgun in my bag just for that reason. I've gotten in the habit of taking mine in and out every day. It took some time, but now it's just like grabbing my wallet or keys. I don't even think about it.

As far as bugging out, driving or on foot, learn several different routes. Highways, backroads, other backroads. Get a map of your area and mark different routes in and out. See which go through more congested areas where traffic would backup in case of SHTF. Take different routes a few times a week so you're used to each one. Remember that a lot of other people will want to try other routes when highways clog up, so learn several just in case one or two are clogged with people thinking the same thing.

I never keep cash in my BOB's for the same reason as not keeping a handgun. I had a vehicle stolen once, so I tend to think of things that are easily replacable. I keep cash in my wallet at all times, and I'm never without my wallet.

The size of your BOB depends on the size of your vehicle, and how much you really want to carry. I have one in the SUV that's pretty basic, but the one in the truck has more small camping gear, simply because I have the room. I keep a small campstove, sleeping bags, 4 man tent, and a few other things on the shelf in the truck that I simply don't have space for in the SUV.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »
Welcome to SC! It might take you a little while to get accustom to the South but I think you'll like it. Check out the Region 3 board -- several SC threads there. Now you're only about 2 hrs from us. We visit Charleston several times a year. When you're ready to get your SC Concealed Carry Permit, let us know.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
1) I have a small safe bolted under a car seat.  The other option is to find a VERY good hiding spot for it.  I have seen some people who cut holes in the upholstry and add a velcro flap for quick access.  My car was broken into last year.  Did $1400 dollars in damage but they didn't have the correct tools to remove the stereo so the only thing taken was my perscription sunglasses and $4 worth of quaters.  Park in high visability areas when you can.  Don't park in a dark hidden part of the lot or behind tall vehicles.
2) If your still shopping for a home or apartment I would recomend trying to live closer than 20 miles to your job.  High energy prices are coming, sitting in traffic sucks, and you will have more transportation options if you live closer.  Outer suburbs are going to die when gas is $6/ gal.  If your bugging out on foot in a big city then I would travel in a group or in a crowded area if I could.  You get mugged when you travel by yourself, in a deserted area, when in the city. If you look around and you don't see people then your in a dangerous area.  I think it is a good Idea to know how to use public transportation.  Have a copy of the bus schedule in your BOB.
3) Have multiple routes planned.
4) I have two BOBs for this reason.  I keep the small one in my car and the large one at my house. Also keep a few small survival kits in key places.
5) I hide small amounts ($20-40) in multiple places.  Coat pocket, cell phone holder, car, and other places.  Probably $200 total.

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I'm moving to an urban area. Charleston SC. I come from a VERY rural area in Southern Illinois so urban living is new to me. So please point out anything u know because I am very unexperienced with city living.

I have been thinking about changing my survival plans to suit the new environment and I have a couple questions.

1. Is a good or bad idea to keep a handgun in my cars BOB?  I don't want it falling into the wrong hands if my car is stolen/broken into.

Hell no!

2. When bugging out on foot, say I have 20 miles to get from work to home, do I take the highways home or should I take a longer route on backroads/intown roads?

If you mean getting home in a SHTF situation, take the back route.

3. Bugging out in car, same scenario, do I take highways or longer backroads?

Same as #2

4. Would it be better to have a large BOB to carry more things, or a smaller one with bare essentials to be more "low profile" and lightweight?

Your BOB is only for 72 hours tops. Duffels and other large bags are for your car when bugging out for good. Keep your personal BOB light enough that you can hike away from danger if you have to leave your vehicle.

5. Approximately how much cash is approriate for a BOB?

As much as you can spare. IN SMALL BILLS.

That's just a few questions that come to mind. I understand that you all don't know the area that I'm moving to, and there are a lot of specifics you need that I can't give you. Please answer the best you can, even vague or generalized answers will help me think of solutions that are appropriate.  I'm going to email Jack and maybe it will be good for his show.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:49:50 AM »
Your immediate biggest threat is going to be weather related. Specifically hurricane. This will determine some of your bail out routes and needs. You will need to be able to ride out some storms and evac from others.

I would prioritize things like personal info, cash on hand and evac plan / routes.

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
@soccer granny

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm glad to be moving to the area although leaving my family and 29 years of my life will be hard.

And I am ready for a CCW permit!  I've been studying the state laws, and what I will need to do and where I will need to go for training etc.

I could use some advice on which places provide the best training and other things that only a local would know.

Offline Mandevu

• Prepper
    • The Emergent Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
I cannot speak for Charleston, but I have been living in New York City for the last 15 years and can give you my observations on a couple of points:

First, I would not feel comfortable leaving a gun in the car, even in a safe.  Cars here get stolen or broken into all the time, and sometimes they are broken into specifically for their parts (air bags, headlights, batteries) so these guys might have tools.

Second, for bugging out on foot and by car, I second Dawgus in suggesting that you be able to use either main routes or back roads.  Prepare your documentation package so that you have evacuation routes/rally points which utilize both (and maybe a combination of the two).  Flexibility is key.  Watch for choke points like bridges-- in my case there are only a handful of bridges which connect the city to the mainland.  These pose a serious problem for evacuation.  When you get to SC, look around and read maps.  You cannot get to know the area too well.

Speaking of getting to know your area, be sure to get to know your neighbors.  That is a sure way to find community in the city, as with any place else.  Plus, they can also give you more specific information regarding the questions you pose here-- they'll know how often cars are broken into, which roads have the heaviest traffic and stuff like that.

Good luck with the move! 

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:46:09 PM »
Get county map books for your area. They have every road and are good for map recons of alternate routes. Look for places along your routes that make good switch points. In other words, if you start on one route, know places that are most useful for switching to an alternate route. Also purchase a state map book. It won't have the same detail, but will allow you to plan for longer distances. When you drive places, make a habit of going home by a different route. Then at home use maps to see how you could switch back and forth mid route. Try to learn as many routes as possible and how to switch routes along the way.

In the city, always be aware of your surroundings. Don't look like your oblivious to your surroundings. Not looking like a victim can prevent a lot of problems. The same goes for driving and parking. Try to park in well lit areas with plenty of foot traffic. Or you can try to park in lots with an employee present all day. If you can get a place with garage, it's better than parking on the street.

Use map to get a general feel for railroad right of ways. They give you another way out via foot/bike/dirt bike if needed. Subway/buses can also work in a pinch if still running. Don't overlook any possibility in case of a desperate Bug Out.

I have kept firearms in cars but getting a CCW is a better idea. Even with a CCW you might want to keep a brake down 22 or center fire in your BOB. If you do, then secure parking becomes evenmore important. Look online for small safes or storage bins that aren't real obvious at first glance.

Pat

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »
P.S. Never forget that a country boy can survive.

Pat