Author Topic: Low cost CERT Training  (Read 8189 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Low cost CERT Training
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »
I'm in the middle of completing my city's CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training.
Cost is $40 and covers:

-Personal Preparedness and Neighborhood Organization
-Fire Safety and Hazardous Materials   
-START Triage and Disaster Psychology
-Light Search and Rescue and Damage Assessment   
-Terrorism Awareness and Preparedness/ Graduation   

Check and see if your city offers similar training.

Elliott

Re: Low cost CERT Training
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:54:08 PM »
I'm finishing up tomorrow for mine.  I think the cost depends on the city.  For example where I live it was free due to Federal grants.

I'm curious to hear your comments on what you think about it.   I enjoyed mine,  the one thing that I learned the most from our experience is just what a logistical nightmare it can be to organize the people and get them where they need to be.  I wish they would have quarterly exercises but I'm guessing that's too expensive.  My city does have a yearly exercise which I guess is better than nothing but from my point of view nothing is going to help out as much as training, training, training. 

P.S.  And no I didn't have to swear allegiance to FEMA.   ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »
I've found the class to be good so far. The Preparedness @ home section was a bit of a repeat of what I know already, but the Fire Protection and START Triage was all new.
The Triage section was very sobering. If they are not breathing and you cannot get them breathing in 15 seconds, black tag them and move on to the next victim. The Motto is 'The Greatest Good for the Greatest Number'.

Elliott

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
Yea the triage section was quite sobering.  We asked quite a few questions about that subject.  It just feels wrong but I understand why they train us that way.  I think you will enjoy the cribbing section as well.  Physics at work.  Good luck with the classes.  let me know how your exercise goes.  I'll update you tomorrow on mine.  Not sure how many volunteer victims we will have tonight. 

Offline Doc Savage

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
The online intro course gives some good info if you don't want to take the actual class.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »
Yea the triage section was quite sobering.  We asked quite a few questions about that subject.  It just feels wrong but I understand why they train us that way.  I think you will enjoy the cribbing section as well.  Physics at work.  Good luck with the classes.  let me know how your exercise goes.  I'll update you tomorrow on mine.  Not sure how many volunteer victims we will have tonight. 
Thanks! I'm looking forward to cribbing. The Triage made you really think about an emergency event.
They are having a local area Event in May '09 (wish it was sooner) that I am going to attend. They are trying to get as many local cities to participate. Should be informative if not fun.

Elliott

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
Well I finished it up yesterday evening.  It was about a 4 hour exercise.  Ours was a simulated tornado disaster which is the most likely event where I live.  We had about 37 victims   :o.  I was on the Fire suppression team and moved over to search and rescue when we put out all the fires.  Over all it was great experience.  We had comm gear but half didn't work the way they should.  I would recommend having backup runners with all groups just in case.  If your bag doesn't come with a headlamp I would highly recommend it.  Our packs came with handheld flashlights but the headlamp makes everything a lot easier.  Also I would tag with tape everyones names on their backpacks so you know who is where while out on the field. 

Good new:     ;D
I found out that my city actually does 6 New member CERT exercises every year that we can go back for refreshers and about 4 CERT lev 2 exercises a year. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:31 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion of the head light. My wife/kids have headlights, I usually use my 3 D cell maglite. I'll have to get a headlight now for the kit.
And thanks for the tip on naming your bag.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »
The cribbing class was pretty good. But they could have been more prepared. The 'debris' to lift was a pallet with promo materials stacked in boxes on it. I hoped for something at least a few hundred lbs. But the techniques were good to know. Can barely wait for the final class and the test...

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »
I am a CERT instructor in Southern Illinois and all of our classes are free along with a big bunch of goodies. You get a backpack, duffel bag, water and gas wrench,a cheap  ::) flash light, hard hat, vest and other PPE.

Does every one else get the same ?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 02:47:32 PM »
Hello Sardog,
 I'm on class 4 of 5, they instructors have mentioned a hard hat, fanny pack and vest. Not sure what is in the fanny pack, I'll find out in 2 weeks when I finish the last day. I like the items that you received!
What did you receive Elliot?

Elliott

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 02:20:56 AM »
Archer,
on our session concerning cribbing we had something similar to yours.  But on your final day if was like ours it will be much bigger and heavier, for instance we had to crib a large metal dumpster off of a "Buster" like dummy.

As far as the kit ours included:

Backpack
Vest with reflecting tape
Hardhat
Utility wrench
Water bottles
Flashlight
Leather gloves
Fanny pack
Goggles

What ours did not include and its hard to say, maybe Sardog can speak to it, was a medical supply kit.  No big deal I have one now in place for mine.  However since I didn't have one on the day of our test it made it, shall we say, difficult during the S/R part.  We improvised.  However for yours if you want a good chance to practice I would recommend at least a roll of cheap gauze and some medical latex gloves for using and throwing away afterwords.    At least check with your instructor to see what they prefer.

Oh yeah before going out on test I would fill those bottles up with water.  You will probably want it.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 07:48:54 AM »
Thanks for the info and suggestions Eliot, I plan to add medical gloves and N-95 masks to my kit ASAP. In fact, my wife has gloves in her car, I'll grab a few pair for the test.... Might as well be ready before the test... The upcoming test sounds like it will be fun... I know, I'm strange.

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »
We give out latex gloves and N-95 masks with our kits. We don't give out first aid supplies because you are not going to be able to carry the volume of stuff you are going to need in a mass causality incident. I train my classes to use things you find in your environment like bed sheets, blankets and such. I do highly recommend duct tape  ;)

I do advocate a good first aid kit, but it is for your self or a team mate. You and yours is always first in line for care. Don't become part of the problem !!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
I just ordered masks online and will borrow some gloves from my wife's car. I like the idea of use what is there, that's more adaptive and makes you more creative in your thinking. Duct tape is a good idea, cheap and has so many uses!!!
They really stress not becoming part of the problem. If you do not think the event is safe for you or that you cannot handle it, then do not go in. Very important point.
Thanks for tips Sardog and Elliot.

millerized1

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »
If you get bored, here's some training info free from the great state of Los Angeles:
http://www.cert-la.com/index.shtml
http://www.cert-la.com/manuals/partman.htm

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 01:33:08 PM »
Great links! Thanks!