Author Topic: Strawberry Towers  (Read 21421 times)

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
Strawberry Towers
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
Anyone know what Jack was talking about in reference to the "strawberry towers" in episode 116?  I've thought of ways of making a wall of shelves for strawberry plants, but never built it.... this thing might be what I need.  Were they portable so you can take them indoors for the winter?  If you have a link or pics, please post.

homegrown

Re: Strawberry Towers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »
Check this out, it looks cool:

http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/aquaponics-101-strawberry-towers/

Mayne this is it? It looks like it could work with many other types of plants too.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
Anyone know what Jack was talking about in reference to the "strawberry towers" in episode 116?  I've thought of ways of making a wall of shelves for strawberry plants, but never built it.... this thing might be what I need.  Were they portable so you can take them indoors for the winter?  If you have a link or pics, please post.
I think he means something like this:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/productdetails.cfm?ProductID=T295

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »
Check this out, it looks cool:

http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/aquaponics-101-strawberry-towers/

Mayne this is it? It looks like it could work with many other types of plants too.
Oh I like these!!! Cool design. Looks like a Tash project.

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »
This would be pretty easy to make!  I might have a good reason to finally get a heat gun!

http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/2008/08/19/aquaponics-101-more-towers/

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »
Those PVC towers rock!  I am going to have to make one of those for the basement garden!  You could very easily make a four foot tower and purchased four those $10 grow lights that Jack talked about today.  Mount two end-to-end vertically on two separate stands.  Then, you could push the grow lights up close to the planting holes when you first plant the strawberries and pull them away as the strawberry plants grow. 

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
I'm liking this better, but it would be harder to move indoors like the PVC.  I'd build myself instead of paying $70...

homegrown

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
What is that made of? It looks wall mounted right?

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
The black one in the picture is made from recycled plastic.  The size is only 20"x20"x3" and it cost $70 from www.smithandhawken.com.  I'm thinking that you could make it out of 1x6 lumber (or maybe even cheaper fence pickets) so it could be any size you want.

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »
I've noticed that you've been discussing my Aquaponic Strawberry Towers.  Your members may be interested in how they were eventually applied.  I hung them in a "Stawberry Forest" dripping into a central drain and then recirculating through Tilapia ponds.  You can see the application here;

http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/aquaponics-101-the-talkers-and-the-doers/

You have a GREAT forum.

Cheers

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 01:51:41 AM »
I've noticed that you've been discussing my Aquaponic Strawberry Towers.  Your members may be interested in how they were eventually applied.  I hung them in a "Stawberry Forest" dripping into a central drain and then recirculating through Tilapia ponds.  You can see the application here;

http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/aquaponics-101-the-talkers-and-the-doers/

You have a GREAT forum.

Cheers

Yeah I know its mostly because of my enlightening presence  :P

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »
What's the purpose of having the watering valves?  Do strawberry plants need continual water, or is it just to ease the watering process?  Is this something that can be done year round if kept in a greenhouse during the cold seasons?

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »
What's the purpose of having the watering valves?  Do strawberry plants need continual water, or is it just to ease the watering process?  Is this something that can be done year round if kept in a greenhouse during the cold seasons?
He is doing "aquaponics", which is hydroponics + fish farming so the tubes of strawberries don't have any soil in them, all the nutrients come from the water, and since there is no soil, you have to keep the roots wet by constantly running water through them.

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »
Yes KB5won, aquaponics.  The towers are filled with any stone or gravel.  I find 10-13mm to be optimal.  We pump water to the tops for 1 hr and then off for 2 hrs on a timer.  You could easily set up something similar.  Just suspend the tower over a bucket or any waterproof container.  Pop a couple of goldfish in the container.  Use a small pond pump on a timer to pump water to the top of the tower.  The water will then drip down all the little pouches.  Be sure to have a small piece of foam or something at the top to trap any solids (uneaten food or fish poop) before they enter the tower because they tend to clog really easily.  Clean this foam out about once a week.  The gravel will filter and oxygenate the water for the goldfish and the goldfish will in turn provide more than enough nutrients to feed the 8 or so strawberry plants (or whatever) in the towers.  Just feed your goldfish lightly.

Here's a closer shot where you can clearly see the gravel and the little strawberry plant starting.

Hope this helps  :)

Synaptoman

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Thanks for the answers, pretty cool stuff.

Now, I have no gold fish, and don't really have the ability to put a pond in my yard, so can I use potting soil and not have to worry about constant watering? 

The wife is all over the idea of fresh strawberries and other fruits that we're thinking of container growing.

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »
Now, I have no gold fish, and don't really have the ability to put a pond in my yard, so can I use potting soil and not have to worry about constant watering?

Yes, that will work just fine.  Put a piece of soil-saver, shade cloth or foam rubber at the bottom of each pouch to prevent soil loss.  I make my potting soil with 2/3 compost and 1/3 river sand. Just don't let the soil dry out and you'll be OK.  I'd say watering once a day should be sufficient.  Fertilize with Seasol (Seagro) say once a month.  8)

Regards

Synaptoman

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
Here are some recent images of the strawberry towers,  The plants were planted about 4 weeks ago and after some initial wilting, they are now thriving.  The have produced a steady stream of fruit and have now sent out a multitude of of runners.

Cheers for now.

Synaptoman

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »
This isn't a hobby farm is it?  Or is this a business you run? 

Either way.  You have a great setup going on.

+1

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:02 PM »
I have a similar (much smaller) system at hone which provides a steady harvest of fish and vegetables for my family.  Last year I started building larger commercial sites for local farmers on merely a scaled-up design of my home system and these strawberry towers above are from one of these farms.  My home system I have now converted to a small Tilapia hatchery and I supply the local farmers with fingerlings.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »
cool thread - thanks for the bump.