Author Topic: Why you need a 'zombie apocalypse' phone  (Read 5051 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Why you need a 'zombie apocalypse' phone
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:57:40 AM »
From: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/08/27/zombie.cell.phone/index.html?iref=NS1

Read remainder of article at link above.

Edited according to DMCA rules, Thox Spuddy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:15:41 PM by Thox Spuddy »

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Why you need a 'zombie apocalypse' phone
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »
Good idea.

An additional option might be to purchase an alternative way to recharge the phone sans electricity from your wall outlet.  They make little hand-crank cell phone rechargers.  They also make adapters that will allow you to use AA batteries to power your cell phone.  And of course, there are car chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter so you can recharge your cellphone from your vehicle.

And for the record, zombie attacks are something every good survivalist should prepare for.  You have only one brain.  Protect it from zombies. ;D

Offline harrihiker

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
Anyone have any experience with prepaid phones?
Do they just sell sim cards you can pop into the phone like they describe in the article?
Do the prepaid minutes expire?
Any company you would recommend to buy a card for a backup phone that wont get used unless it is needed?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
<sigh>

Ok, so if I understand this correctly. . .if I'm worried about my phone running out of battery power, I should have a second phone on-hand?

Let's assume, for a moment, that the battery does stay powered in your BOB/PERK/GHB/INCH as it sits there for a couple of years.  Hell, let's just say 1 year. You're going to need to recharge it, somehow.

Don't forget to get a car charger for that phone, as well as the one you use.

Maybe carry around the wall charger in your kit for your Zombie Phone, as well.

Don't forget to make sure that your carrier is paid for the cell service. . .granted, you'll still be able to dial 911, but in the case of a massive emergency. . .everyone else will be doing that, too.

Oh. . .wait a minute. . .If I just use the phone I have. . . .with the existing car charger that costs $10 at Wally-World. . .then I don't have to worry about running out of a charge when I'm on the road.

Dang, I forgot about running away from the zombies on foot. . .that car charger won't help if I have to hoof it.

Hmmmm. . .<SNAP!> I got it. . .what about if I went back to Wally World into the Electronics department and bought a simple battery-recharger and some lithium batteries?

For around $30, I could use the phone I have with me all the time, not have to worry about special adapters, an additional monthly cell-phone fee and trying to remember all those numbers of my friends (and their email addresses) because MY CURRENT PHONE ALREADY HAS THEM PROGRAMMED IN.

Smaller and lighter than an additional phone. . .practically bulletproof. . .recharges in a few minutes. . .the Lithium batteries holds their charges much, much longer than the rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery in the cell phone. . .AA batteries are available just about anywhere. . .and a hell of a lot cheaper than a year's worth of monthly carrier charges.

Oh, wait. . .that's too simple.

I'm wondering if Myriam Joire or Endgadget has any affiliation with Motorola or one of the cell carriers.

The simpler answers work better.  Don't buy a second phone unless you are worried about breaking your first phone (but then where do you stop?  A third phone to replace the damaged second?  A fourth for the third which got soaked when you crossed a stream?).  Just get a simple AA Cellphone recharger and use the spare batteries you should already have in your kit.

The Professor

(I apologize if I sound cranky and sarcastic, but I have two excuses. . .classes started this week, so I actually have to work and I hate it when people have a bright idea, fail to think it through and critically analyze it and then spout their ideas to the general populace who, in turn, fail to think critically of what's presented simply because a presumably educated blogger and subsequently, a mainstream media outlet which reported on it, knows what they're talking about.)

God, I so need a TA.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
You can find info on www.tracfone.com and www.straighttalk.com. Walmart sells several prepaid phones -- you can find info on Walmart's site or in the store.

StraightTalk does not carry over mins or texts. It's $30/mth for 1000 mins and 1000 texts, $45/mth for unlimited mins and texts.
Tracfone does carry over unused mins. Prices vary on number of mins purchased.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »
+1
Added to my LOL (List of Lists)

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
On the August 14 Engadget Mobile podcast (time stamp 50:35), co-host Myriam Joire (aka Tnkgrl) recommends the Motorola Motofone F3 as her preferred "zombie apocalypse survival phone."

eBayed one for $20 a few years ago.  It's in my BOB.  Freaking indestruble.  There are youtube videos of people throwing them out of buildings, running over them with cars, etc.  You could probably kill one but you'd really have to try.

All the examples I've seen have been unlocked gsm models.  Mine speaks Spanish, English, and Portugese.

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
I have a cheapo prepaid that I use when my family comes to visit from the UK.  Battery charge lasts forever.  Nice to have when my fancy iphone bricked.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
From: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/08/27/zombie.cell.phone/index.html?iref=NS1

(CNN) -- You know it will happen someday: Zombies are chasing you down the street, groaning for your blood.

This article is rife with inconsistencies and it starts right HERE. Zombies groan for BRAINS not BLOOD. After this, it's hard to take the rest of the advice seriously.     ;D

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »
I find it inconsistent that the Zombies will be chasing me.

I'll be chasing THEM!

;D

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 02:06:55 AM »
Anyone have any experience with prepaid phones?
Do they just sell sim cards you can pop into the phone like they describe in the article?
Do the prepaid minutes expire?
Any company you would recommend to buy a card for a backup phone that wont get used unless it is needed?

I have 2 phones (one AT&T and one Verizon for a reason - different networks). I use my AT&T with data package and all daily. The Verizon phone is just with me in case I need to make a long phone conversation about business. It is prepaid since I rarely use it, I think I put $100 on it so that the minutes last all year. It is nice when traveling and I have to call into a long phone conference, but that's about it. And, since it is usually with me, if in an emergency I have to use it, it is available. (Plus it is a business expense since I use it solely for business. As far as I know, I can't deduct my first cell phone any longer due to new regulations.)

Prepaid minutes, at least my plan, and probably all others, definitely do expire. I got tired of putting $15 on it every month or 3 months or whatever, so I just put minutes on it for the whole year. Costs me $3.99 for unlimited minutes on the day that I use it, which is very infrequently. I'm sure there are better options for your situation.

I don't recommend any specific company for a backup phone except that it should have good coverage for where you travel and be a different service than your every day phone. For instance my EDC phone is with AT&T and my backup is with Verizon. Two totally different networks, cell towers, and I think technologies.

I also carry a backup phone for my AT&T phone sometimes, throw it in my truck or my bag when flying. That way if my phone dies or breaks, I can use the backup phone and my "regular" service plan. Plus, if I'm going fishing or something and don't want to risk breaking my "good" phone, I'll put the sim card in the old phone and use it instead. Unless I drop the phone in the Pacific ocean or a bear steals it or an EMP strikes, for the most part the SIM card should still be good even if the phone is damaged.

Anytime you upgrade, keep your old phone at least at home. I dropped a phone once and broke it, another time my touchscreen quit working. I was able to use my old phone with no problems to at least keep in touch with people for a week or so (and when you have parents calling to ask how you are or travel out of town, that is nice to have).

Also if you get multiple phones, consider checking out Google Voice. You can get your own phone number and start giving that out to friends and family. Then set it up to forward phone calls to all of your phones. I have a landline but pay for outgoing calls. Sometimes when I'm home I will have people call my Google Voice number and answer on the landline, for free, rather than using up minutes. It even transcribes voicemail and will send you a text message or email (good for me where I work without cell phone service but can check email). I just wish it would work with extensions.