Author Topic: No Bug Out?  (Read 18169 times)

MightyRunt

Re: No Bug Out?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »
Approaching radiation cloud maybe?
KIO3  Got it.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »
Not bugging out during this phase of my existence.  Within several years I intend to live full time at bug-out location (which I don't have yet).  Reason:  With my kids all grown up and no wife, I am the logical one (of my siblings) to enjoy free rent looking after the few needs of my 83 year old father.  He doesn't need much but everyone is happy I am here in his house.  He would never bug out and since I don't yet have any place to bug out to, here I will stay in suburbia.  For The Mission.

It's perfect; my father doesn't like the idea of growing food on his pristine lawns, the house is completely undefendable, absolutely dependent on the electricity staying (mostly) on, he has the fireplace blocked off and doesn't want any wood around since he wouldn't use it anyway, there isn't quite enough parking and nobody in my family (2 sisters, one brother, 1 father) around here believes anything could go seriously wrong.  Ever.

None of this concerns me.  The Force is with me.  I am prepared enough for all of us.

But the whole basement is my space (no rent) and my only bill is cell phone (other than operating expenses like gasoline, food, etc).  This allows me to devote nearly all my income to "prepping" and saving for land.  Within 2 or 3 years I will be able to pay cash for acres and the time spent now gathering all the details I'll need (while they are cheap and abundant) will have been well spent.

It could be worse, I was married for a long time......     

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Crypto - Marriage isn't always a bad thing.  I consider it to be the most important of all commitments that it's possible for us to make on this planet.  I made a very, very good choice with TW (my husband), but please believe me when I say that I understand that some marriages are AWFUL.

Still - your comment stung - hard.

(thank you endurance, for making me see reason about my initial response to that comment)

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 02:09:08 AM »
The bug out philosophy does not stand up to reason except for a few scenarios:
1) Your primary is destroyed and the ENTIRE REGION is untenable.
2) Your on the run from criminals/government or armed and crazy ex-wife...???
3) Your young, single with no children/elderly to care for, have made no real preps and don't mind being just another refugee...

For me bugging out is what you do when all else has failed and you have absolutely no other choice and no place to go. I don't consider evacuation to avoid a large Hurricane to be bugging out as I intend to return and be part of the recovery/rebuilding during the aftermath. I don't consider going to my alternate to be bugging out as it is a prepped and viable home on its own. We would just be changing the venue of our lives, not rebuilding from nothing.

Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 03:25:37 AM »
shadowalker - I think you should also add "those who are in an environment that is about to be destroyed"  to your list.  Some people wouldn't bug out in a hurricane situation, but I think the majority of folks would get the heck outa dodge in that scenario, or a similar one.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
Crypto - Marriage isn't always a bad thing. .....

Still - your comment stung - hard.

I did not intend to disparage marriage.  I hope to be married again someday.  I happen to believe humans are designed such that it takes two halves to make a whole team.  I just had an unfortunate experience for 16 years and am thankful that former wife decided she wasn't in love yet and called it quits.  I had hopes that she (a fairly high quality person) would see the error of her ways, but she never did.  I am wiser for the experience, so next time I'll ask a few more questions.  ;D  Unfortunately all the good ones seem to be taken.

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 06:56:34 PM »
It is good to see this thread, although I had to dig through a few pages.  I was questioning on the 'what is in your BOB' thread WHY to have a BOB.

I see folks also talking about a BHB.  To me, this has always been common sense.  If you're traveling in the winter, make sure you have an extra blanket or two, candle in a sand filled coffed can, bag of salt/cat litter/sand.  Standard equipment for all seasons in our vehicles are jumper cables, canteen of water, first aid kit, rope, knife, fliash light, et al

We will not bug out. We have situated ourselves to be pretty self-reliant & self-sustaining.

TEOTWAWKI has already hit us.  After working for 36 years, I was laid off last November.  Because of our preparations, life hasn't changed too much ... other than the savings acct balance slowly going down.  We still have no debts outside mortgage & utilities.

I don't think there will be a Big Bang SHTF situation, rather more like what has happened to our world.  Loss of income and how are you going to survive.  As more and more folks in our area are losing their jobs and no hope of finding new jobs in this area, we have seen crime go up.  We are prepared for what ever comes our way.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
Here's another vote for bugging in unless forced out.  Same reasons as others stated - can't take much in the way of preps in a vehicle by comparison to what's in a house.  Still, it is quite possible to be forced out.  I can imagine scenarios such as a huge earthquake, fires, or rampant civil unrest that could rise to a level where I'd be better off elsewhere. 

In all but a very few cases, though, the distance I would envision having to travel is under 50 miles so I'm giving thought to a cargo trailer in which I could put the most important or valuable of my preps (assuming they aren't all ash at that point).  It'll be a long, long time before I'm in a position to purchase a BOL, so hooking up with friends or family is the only realistic option, and if you're going to show up on someone's doorstep during a crisis, it would be best if you're bringing plenty of essentials with you. ;)

-N

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
Bugging out for short term stuff like overturned chemical truck or distant chem plant release...1 hr bob...6-24 hr SHTF >cat 4 hurricane or river flood, BOB and loaded BOV. But for TEOTWAWKI economic/social collapse...  I'm bugging in!

Offline kr66p6r13

• Prepper
  • what is taken for granted today, gone tomarrow
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 08:29:09 PM »
 unless it's a mandatory evacuation my kids are much safer inside away from small mindedness,. But bugging out is a back up option for my family. it's there if we need it. seriously tho bugging in is a lot more efficient & effective for a family of 7. once everyone is loaded that doesn't leave much room for supplies in the van. if we have to, we can, everybody has their own B.O.B & role to play. still a handful to execute

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
We have taught our children to keep supplies on hand and to head back here to the farm if SHTF.

The two that are out on their own grow patio containers of vegetables they use the most and know how to freeze or dehydrate them.  DD has a 6 mo old and has chosen to nurse and now make her own baby food,

Even our families in IN and OK have at least 2 of the families living on acreage and raising their own food.

If things don't fare well here, we do have  alternate places, one north of us and one south of us. They will let us in only because we have the mindset, skills, food, implements and firearms to be an asset.  We met these folks through a 'homesteading weekend' we've put on the past 6 years.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
Mrs. S. and I intend to stay put. As far as I can see, there will be no reason to bug-out. We live in a small NE Ohio town about 40 miles S of Cleveland. We have been here about 4 years, and are established in our community. Our threat level is low. In event of an SHTF scenario, and the grocery stores can't be supplied, we'll just have a farmer's market in the town square twice a week.

We are far enough away from urban areas that civil unrest will not boil over to this area, which has a reputation of not tolerating that type of thing. We really don't have a major crime problem, no real racial issues, and the people who live here tend to be long time residents. There IS a difference between city folks and small town people.

The closest upwind nuclear powerplant is about 90 miles away. If there was a leakage ala Three Mile Island, with the distance traveled, and the nature of a radioactive plume, the radiation would not pose a serious threat.

The traffic patterns in this town are bizarre. Trucks travel very slowly to negotiate the streets, and people here are courteous, so the likely hood of a spill on the roadways is small. The chief chemicals that we worry about are agricultural in nature, and the local HAZMAT teams are very well trained. The vast majority of chemical spill incidents are of short duration; the mess is cleaned up within days.

Should we need to relocate temporarily, Daughter-who-weaves-fences is about 5 miles away. If more distance is needed, we have family in SE Cuyahoga County, but the probability of needing to go there is slim to none.

We are not bugging out.

soupbone

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 06:56:06 AM »
unless it's a mandatory evacuation my kids are much safer inside away from small mindedness,. But bugging out is a back up option for my family. it's there if we need it. seriously tho bugging in is a lot more efficient & effective for a family of 7. once everyone is loaded that doesn't leave much room for supplies in the van. if we have to, we can, everybody has their own B.O.B & role to play. still a handful to execute

I feel you pain.  With alot of kids you have to have one of those roof-rack-thingys, everyone clutching their backpacks to their chests, sitting cross-legged with supplies stacked up to knee-level.  It would be very uncomfortable. :'(

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »
It makes sense that our homes should be a solid location where sustaining life for some time is possible…SHTF or not.

But i cannot say "i plan on bugging in or out".
I plan for both…because i don't know what the nature of the emergency will be, and how it will affect my plans.

On this subject, a good way to "acquire" BOLs, is to enter the BOL program (lol).
I know that my location can be a BOL for my friends, and my friend's location can be a BOL for me.

A "survival pod" can be left at a friend's house.
With essentials covering shelter, food, water, first aid, security and tools.
Most cannot afford to buy a primary residence, let alone a BOL.
Also, in a SHTF, numbers are not a bad thing logistically speaking.

Imagine a network of locations.
I already have on top of my locations in Montana and even though i cannot afford them, BOLs in Canada, in Colorado, in Kalifornia, in New Mexico, and even in France.

I call it "pod swapping".

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
Well when it comes time I will have to asses if the best thing to do is to protect in place or to move to a better location.  Some things that would be factored would include the current resources that my family and I have on hand.  The availability of resources that can be acquired in our local area.  The general security of the area and the security of our current location.  These are only a few that come into the decision making process for me.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
It makes sense that our homes should be a solid location where sustaining life for some time is possible…SHTF or not.

But i cannot say "i plan on bugging in or out".
I plan for both…because i don't know what the nature of the emergency will be, and how it will affect my plans.

On this subject, a good way to "acquire" BOLs, is to enter the BOL program (lol).
I know that my location can be a BOL for my friends, and my friend's location can be a BOL for me.

A "survival pod" can be left at a friend's house.
With essentials covering shelter, food, water, first aid, security and tools.
Most cannot afford to buy a primary residence, let alone a BOL.
Also, in a SHTF, numbers are not a bad thing logistically speaking.

Imagine a network of locations.
I already have on top of my locations in Montana and even though i cannot afford them, BOLs in Canada, in Colorado, in Kalifornia, in New Mexico, and even in France.

I call it "pod swapping".

That's really a very good idea, Vol.  What sorts of things do you feel comfortable leaving at friends' houses, though?  For example, if I were to ask an Aunt in San Diego if I could leave a couple of boxes of food and water in her garage, she'd probably say "sure" but I don't even know if it's legal for me to leave a firearm there (not up to speed on CA's storage laws in that regard).

Once my stored foods achieve the 90-day mark, I think I'll devote the excess to off-site locations in this way.  Makes good sense in a lot of ways.

-N

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »
Hey Nadir…

Yeah i don't know about the firearms, it can be tricky…
Sure can leave ammo though.

I was thinking more along the lines of survival essentials with a low budget.
Tarp, blanket, clothes, axe, saw, knife, food, water, flint, cooking pot, first aid kit, batteries, maps, radio, rope, basic tools…that sort of things.

Maybe i'll make a new thread about some pods i have put together…it's just like caching, but in garages and crawl spaces of America.

endurance

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
I think it's a great idea because you can also start to set up friends that are fringe preppers so they at least have a baseline.  I think it's reasonable to limit things to roughly six 6 gallon buckets.  Say two buckets of rice, one bucket of beans, one bucket of steel cut oats, and the other two containing a variety of things like an alternative heating source and fuel, plastic sheeting, duct tape, ammo (a brick of .22, maybe a couple boxes of rifle and handgun ammo that fits guns they have and you have in common), lighting, batteries, water filter and/or quart of bleach for purification, etc., and another containing things like dried milk, cooking oil, pasta, seasonings, etc.  You could probably get 75-90 person days into a set up like that, divided by four, that's still close to three weeks, which is a significant buffer.

I'm sure they'll have plenty of the common stuff like pots & pans around, so you just need to supply a heat source; something like a backpacking stove that burns multi-fuels including gas and diesel would be perfect.

A buddy of mine has already offered me his crawlspace, he already has a surplus of camping kit, so I'll probably just lean heavy on the food and batteries.  I have another friend who has offered me her place to crash at if I get stuck in the city during a snow storm and can't make it home.  She has a family of four and she's interested in prepping, but short on money.   For her, I'm going to have to round it out better for all the basics and it might take eight buckets or maybe even a 55 gallon salvage drum to cache things like wool blankets, a 5 gallon water can, etc.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »
Like jasperg357 I drive truck for a living. I carry a Bug -Home-Bag in the truck. I also carry road maps of all the states I drive in so that in the event that the SHTF goes and the freeways and roads are plugged or blocked I can head for home on foot, cross country, not using the road system but being aware of it. We are planning to bug in until it is impossible to do otherwise. :( My wife knows that she may be on her own for a long period of time since the farthest point away I could be would be about 900 miles, so we plan for that.

Interestingly, I was stopped by the Idaho State Police the other day and he never said a word about my pack. Since Arrow Trucking went out of business and left a lot of truckers stranded, many drivers are carrying back packs also, just in case.

Our neighbors do not know a lot about our preps and we don't volunteer information either. As I told a friend of mine awhile back
"play your cards close and don't be too flashy". You can also draw a lot of great info and experience from the TSP and avoid many pitfalls. 

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 05:14:45 AM »
Thank you for your time.

Your thoughts on the replies?

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
KIO3  Got it.

Just keep in mind that KI, KIO3, etc. will not work for caesium-137 or other common dirty bomb materials which put out gamma radiation instead of alpha radiation and the particles are more readily absorbed by muscle tissue and processed by the body. http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2002/06/53110 

Also keep in mind that KIO3 is an intestinal irritant.  :(

Bunker down with as much dirt and concrete as possible between you and Commrade Kill's love rays until the fallout drops to safer levels then get the hell out of the area.

It will be a silent spring. 

Offline 13F10

• Prepper
    • Flag Of Conviction
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »
If by extreme luck I get a sign to bug-out, I'd go.  You know, plenty of time to pack-up, load the truck and trailer with all my preps and take a nice drive out to the BOL while Joe Public is oblivious and at Block Bluster renting movies...

Otherwise, unless you are cache'd - up and can get there on foot over the hills and thru the woods, putting yourself & family "out there" is a problem. Frankly, I'd rather make my stand here and live/die with the decision rather than turn into a wandering refugee.

Rita was a good example of a regional SHTF here, friends tried to get here (North Texas) from the Houston area, they slept in their car for two days.  They didn't even get past the airport in Houston, coming from Sea Port.

Short of my house getting blown over or NBC, I'll take my chances here.