Author Topic: Ham License...Address/Phone # ?  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Diablo

• Prepper
Ham License...Address/Phone # ?
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:37 PM »
When getting a License can you provide an address that you legally receive mail at, but is not your home address? Also the phone # you provide, can it be a Voice Mail Box and not actual Home phone?

I wouldn't mind getting a license, but not if I have to provide my actual home address/phone that can be looked up.

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Ham License...Address/Phone # ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:40:08 AM »
Yes, I have a PMB and my license is linked to it and not my home address.

Also, they can take whatever phone number you give them.  I don't have a land-line anymore so I can only give out my cell number anyway.

Offline Diablo

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
Yes, I have a PMB and my license is linked to it and not my home address.

Also, they can take whatever phone number you give them.  I don't have a land-line anymore so I can only give out my cell number anyway.

OK, very cool.

I fell much better about getting a license now.

Offline seedream2003

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
I have had a Ham License for years and suddenly my home address and phone number were posted on the internet.  I was pissed so I changed the address and phone number to my office I dont mind that as much but whatever you put down plan on it being out there in the web

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
You all realize that privacy is dead right?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
Many people use a PO Box for the lic service, and for QSL card exchange.

Sadly yes,.. been so for a number of years...ratio based upon when you were born.

Offline Diablo

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »

That's exactly why I originally posted. There's no way I'm providing my actual home address/phone. But I can live with providing a PMB and VM.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
I'm not a HAM, but I assume the address/phone # thing is to allow communication between regulators and license holders and also facilitate that HAMs are considered defacto Government assets in emergency situations.

That said, what was the rational of making that personal information not just public, but easily accessible to that same public?

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »
I'm not a HAM, but I assume the address/phone # thing is to allow communication between regulators and license holders and also facilitate that HAMs are considered defacto Government assets in emergency situations.

That said, what was the rational of making that personal information not just public, but easily accessible to that same public?

All FCC license information is public record, not just ham licenses. You can also look up who holds the license for your local police radio system, FM radio station, etc.

Mine has always been a PO Box, so no big deal.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
The difference I see is that radio stations are commercial and public service radio licenses are government.  HAM operators are, well, private amateurs.  As such, they have a reasonable expectation to a higher level of privacy than commercial or government operators, especially since the latter two are almost guaranteed to list a place of business or government building as an address along with a business or government agency as the license holder.  Even the phone number would dead end into that business or government agency.  The phone number you provide as a HAM almost certainly will be linked to you personally.

I'm not arguing per se, I just see some real potential problems with the current system as it applies to individual amateur radio operators.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Seriously, it's ham, not HAM.  It isn't an acronym.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
OOPS, sorry.  I told you I wasn't a ham (no matter what my Mom said when I was a kid.).

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 12:25:25 AM »
Seriously, it's ham, not HAM.  It isn't an acronym.

Why ham? What is the meaning of it? Just curious.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »
Perhaps because turkey was too long in Morse? ;D

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »
Perhaps because turkey was too long in Morse? ;D

Actually that is kind of right.

Nobody is sure who started it, but after radio started coming into commercial use on ships and passing messages like telegraph lines amateurs operators and commercial ones often shared the same freqs with little regulation, and often caused intereference. The commercial ops started calling amateurs "hams" as an insult, and they took it and ran.

And ham was likely used because it is in fact a quick, 3 letter word. Long words were always abbreviated or shortened into 3 letter Q codes to speed up traffic.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
Which is why SOS became the universal distress code.  It doesn't stand for anything.  It is just short and exceedingly simple to transmit.  Most people who do not know Morse Code and have never used any sort of transmitting radio or semaphore know how to send a Morse style SOS.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 06:30:51 AM »
Yeah, how many people today could send 'CQD?'  In any event, a short history of SOS, CQD and a few others at http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/arc2-2.html makes for a short yet interesting read.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »
I was under the assumption (could have sworn I read it somewhere in "official" literature, not just some hack on the internet) that we could not use a P.O. box for our ham registration. Now that I've heard people have successfully accomplished it, I think I will try it.

I always thought the address on record had to be the "Primary operating location". Maybe I'm mis-understanding something or mis-heard something, or maybe people just enjoy communicating at post offices!

BTW what do you think of using a service like UPS instead of USPS, which offers a street address. I'm considering getting a PO box or using UPS's service.

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »
 >:( This is a problem on the internet.  I recently changed numbers with the phone company, now I had them list must my first initial last name with no address and just a city (the minimum they will scrub for free) and find out the posted the damn thing.

Now I was able to remove it from whitepages, but the problem is once the data is out there, it's out there.

Now my only solution is to move.

Let's go one further, if you buy a house guess what, that's public record and your name is listed in public record on that address.

Privacy is not dead, it's just DAMN hard to keep.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »
I know about the problems with the internet; I'm not afraid but if I can change my address to a PO box or something, the record of the old address will still be there even if I move, and I can still get my mail from the government every 10 years or so. One step at a time I guess.

There are ways around getting your name published, but I'm not going to go into that here.