Author Topic: How To Post A Photo To The Forum  (Read 35660 times)

Offline dbs

• Prepper
Re: How To Post A Photo To The Forum
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
Thanks Sister Wolf for your video showing us how to post a picture on the forum.
Don't Die Wondering!!

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
For the photobucket users, is there a way to simply post the image to the thread without linking back to the photobucket account? I would prefer the images to be static and not allow linking back to the account to view all the folders. I know I can lock folders as private, I only have garden photos in there actually but I noticed that my photos are all acting as photos and links. Any help with disabling the link back to the account?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 06:44:05 AM »
I'm not too familiar with Photobucket, but with Flickr you can edit the BBCode so that it will only show the image, so there might be a way to do it.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
I will check into it, thanks.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »
For the photobucket users, is there a way to simply post the image to the thread without linking back to the photobucket account? I would prefer the images to be static and not allow linking back to the account to view all the folders. I know I can lock folders as private, I only have garden photos in there actually but I noticed that my photos are all acting as photos and links. Any help with disabling the link back to the account?

Yes, I do this all the time.   It seems you are just grabbing the URL from your address line in your browser....notice the link ends with "html".....

Code: [Select]
http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/suburbangardenMD/media/TSP%20garden%202014/IMAG2432.jpg.html

Now to get the image jpeg itself, it will depend on your browser.   If you are using Internet Explorer, a "right click" isn't much help, you'll have to click the little magnifying glass icon, which will bring up the picture in a new window, after which you can right click on it, go to "Properties" and just get the URL image as so...

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s367/suburbangardenMD/TSP%20garden%202014/IMAG2432.jpg

Chrome makes it easier, simply "right click" again and select "Copy image URL".

Mozilla is similar, you  simply "right click" again and select "Copy Image Location".

When you are ready to paste into a thread use the image tag (looks like a Mona Lisa icon) and paste in the URL that ends with "jpg".  Notice I add the "height" option to tame down the size.   Now it shouldn't link back.

[img height=100]
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s367/suburbangardenMD/TSP%20garden%202014/IMAG2432.jpg
[/img]

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
I adjusted the settings on photobucket, lets see if it works...

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
Looks like disabling the link back in the settings is all it took. Once again, the intertubes has proven me lazy. I should have just read the FAQ. Thanks guys.

MountainStatePrepper, I will use that technique for grabbing images from other sites for repost, thats another handy tip, thanks.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to throw this out there: A Note on Image Security

Use Photobucket or Google drive as image hosts. I see a lot of people using lesser known services which don't strip EXIF metadata from the image. Photobucket and Google both auto-strip that data.

The main reason you don't want that attached in an online forum is for privacy. If you take an image from your smart phone for instance, it will incorporate the GPS location of the photo (which using google maps, gives an address, leading to a name, a phone number, etc). Some smartphones will list their model in the metadata, and because some phones are specific to a carrier, you know who their carrier is. If the user is a serial photo-spammer, posting constant "selfies" you can pretty much track them in real-time with the GPS data from their photo posting, telling you if they're home or not.

The worst-case scenario, someone could use the data to find your home and track your movements with the goal of stalking or robbing you. Much more likely however, advertisers and marketing companies are datamining the shit out of this. Obviously, the user posting from an old Droid phone may be looking for a new smart-phone, and here's their address, email and phone number...  Truthfully, companies are just beginning to find ways to exploit this, it's not epidemic. It's just becoming feasible on a large scale now. But there are crawlers hitting sites looking specifically for image data and the associated meta-data.

Some cameras encode a "Gallery" name for tagging photos, like "My trip to Alaska" or "Birthday for Bill". Many of these galleries are unsecured, and one who knows the name can determine the URL for the entire gallery, getting all the images in your account, not just those you intended to share.

Some people attempt to redact information by blacking out data in photoshop or a similar program.  However, some EXIF data contains a high-resolution thumbnail of the original image (a mini-copy within the image itself). So you black out your driver's license number in the main image, but the embedded thumbnail still shows it clearly!

Another case with thumbnails, some people post tactfully cropped, suggestive images (online dating sites for example). You can't see nudity in the image because of the cropping, but again, the embedded thumbnail remains intact for anyone to see, if they know how to access it. Not much of a problem here at TSP, I'd imagine, but in general there are a lot of perverts who download tens of thousands of images, looking for these.

On that note, please also use jpeg compression. Cameras capture a lot of light outside of the visible spectrum. I won't go into too much detail about those risks, just trust me, use jpeg, don't post raw data.

If you use your own server or a 3rd party service, you can still manually remove this data.

Removing Metadata Manually in Windows
1) Right click the file and select Properties
2) Select "Remove Properties and Personal Information" on the Details Tab
3) Either create a copy with details removed, or remove only selected information from the original file.
4) Click OK
5) Upload to your file-sharing service.

A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
Thanks, I.L.W., that was a great overview of the image privacy problem.

I usually edit images before posting them online, and (if it seems appropriate) I'll strip out EXIF data in the process.  GIMP does this, and I'd assume Photoshop and other image editors also have this option.

I just ran across this freestanding platform-independent tool:
ExifTool
ExifTool is a platform-independent Perl library plus a command-line application for reading, writing and editing meta information in a wide variety of files. ExifTool supports many different metadata formats including EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, JFIF, GeoTIFF, ICC Profile, Photoshop IRB, FlashPix, AFCP and ID3, as well as the maker notes of many digital cameras by Canon, Casio, FLIR, FujiFilm, GE, HP, JVC/Victor, Kodak, Leaf, Minolta/Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Nintendo, Olympus/Epson, Panasonic/Leica, Pentax/Asahi, Phase One, Reconyx, Ricoh, Samsung, Sanyo, Sigma/Foveon and Sony.

ExifTool is also available as a stand-alone Windows executable and a Macintosh OS X package...

I haven't tried it, but it sounds useful.