Author Topic: BOV: to purchase or other suggestions  (Read 1969 times)

Offline x15bananna

• Fledgling Prepper
BOV: to purchase or other suggestions
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:24:43 AM »
hi - new here however i have been prepping since 05 and katrina. i live in jacksonville florida, while i believe it is not as bad as LA or NY this city has a higher crime (criminal class) than
others. Anyway, as an apartment dweller (still waiting for another 10 - 20% correction in housing prices) i seem to have run into a problem. My preps have now exceeded my cars carry capacity. I have been considering a BOV. I figure to spend up to 25k on a diesel 4x4 4 door pickup. been looking at 1999 - 2006 dodge ram 2500's and ford f250's (ideally with a long bed). i intend to add a 100 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed and camper top, this would give me a range of approx 1500 - 2000 miles.

has anyone prepped a BOV?

if you have, any suggestions on my ideas?

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: BOV: to purchase or other suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:18:12 AM »
Check on the TSP for "Pictures of your BOV". You'll see lots of examples of how others have prepped their vehicles.  :D When you get your project completed, post some pictures.   :o

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
My mind is flooded with bad analogies. A Barrett .50 for squirrel hunting. A combine harvester to mow your lawn.  A forklift to move your kitchen trash bags to the dumpster.  ;D

I like big, wasteful machines as much as the next guy.  I've owned jet boats, race motorcycles, and mud buggies.  But prepping is different.

$25,000 would buy you a nice bug-out Location where you could store preps.  That way you wouldn't have to transport them.

Don't forget to add to the purchase price the higher expense of taxes, oil changes, tires, repairs, fuel, and the total pain in the butt it is to park a big-azz truck at your apartments and the grocery store.  Never mind the rough ride and acres of sheet metal to keep clean.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:37:03 AM by Tommy Jefferson »

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:56:09 AM »
What kind of car do you have now ?
Is it paid off ?
If you were to BO in your BOV, where would you go ?

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
Is your current vehicle capable of towing a trailor? Not the best solution, but if it is able and your apartment complex would allow you to keep it there, it *might* be a solution.  (although, I believe storing a trailor - with some preps already inside - would be a better option. Nosey neighbors won't be able to see you stock it.)

Good luck with your decision.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »
If you go with a Ford get the 7.3 diesel engine.