Author Topic: Planted my first trees!  (Read 3071 times)

52Degrees

Planted my first trees!
« on: January 10, 2009, 08:54:23 PM »
I just started listening to The Survival Podcast.  I've been a longtime wannabe survivalist, but never really pulled it off.

Anyway, today I planted my first trees in my yard. A fig, a Bing cherry and a 5-way graft with 2 kinds of peaches, a plum, apricot and nectarine.

Next weekend I'll pick up a pair of apple trees for the backyard (for shade as well as production) and maybe another cherry for the Bing to pollenate with.

Also, picked up a bunch of seeds at Lowes (I know  ::)) and a few of those little indoor greenhouse plant starter boxes.  It's like going to the grocery store, but not :D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Planted my first trees!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
Congratulations! 

And just for the record, there ain't nothin' wrong with going to Lowe's.  I wouldn't care if you went to Disneyland to buy your seeds.  As long as you're providing for yourself, and you're excited about it - that's ALL that matters.  Nobody who is worth their salt is gonna roll their eyes at you for buying one brand or another.

A high five, and a +1 for you for finally jumping in to the deep end.  You're in very good company.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:04:05 AM »
A fig, a Bing cherry and a 5-way graft with 2 kinds of peaches, a plum, apricot and nectarine.

Very cool.  Good on you.

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
There isnt anything wrong with Lowies. They sell Burpee seeds.
When Spring/ Summer  hits check out their back door store. I got free top soil, compost, mushroom compost etc as well as lots of freebie plants I was able to bring back. Their owners would rather dumpiie the not so pretty stuff. That ok for I aint very pretty either. But I will use what I get.

dhallftworth

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:16:26 PM »
How are the trees doing?

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »
any pics?

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:07:15 PM »
Congrats on the jump. Now keep up the momentum and do not look back. I really like the indoor greenhouse plant starter boxes. I think they are convenient and great ways to start seed.
I try to plant, transplant, and attend to something a few times per week. It is great therapy knowing that i am investing in myself. The rewards come soon enough.

smkymtn

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
I try to plant, transplant, and attend to something a few times per week. It is great therapy knowing that i am investing in myself. The rewards come soon enough.
Totally agree FreeSpirit starting from seed and bringing it up and then transplanting and watching it grow, awesome!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »
Very happy for you 52Degrees!

Trying to explain how great it feels to plant a bearing tree to someone who doesn't get it makes you feel like the guy with the extra arm coming out of his forehead.
But seeing someone like you express this joy is refreshing.
Thanks for sharing that with us.
I have two trees I'm particularly proud of.
Three years ago a squirrel planted a black walnut in my garden. When it was about a foot tall I moved it to my choice spot.
This spring a new walnut appeared in almost the same spot in my garden.
Thanks Fuzzy!
I moved it to be a companion to the older one.
I will be producing walnuts for maybe 100 years after the soil absorbs me.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
keep that fuzzy alive. he'll keep ur trees coming.